Sign in to follow this  
Shomishuu

Nagoya Henka Sightings - Day 6 Question

Oops, I just realized I never provided the correct answer to the obligatory question posed on Sumo Fan Magazine's Henka Sightings for Day 6 Nagoya. (The survey program wouldn't allow me to just say there were no henka nominations for that day -- it required a question first).

OK, the question was: In which year did the Nihon Sumo Kyokai announce they would begin enforcing the tachiai 'rule' requiring rikishi to lower both hands to the dohyo? The choices were 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984. Six of the nine respondents had the correct answer: 1984!

It was after the Nagoya Basho of that year that Futagoyama Oyakata, speaking for the Sumo Association, said that the requirement actually already existed, but was being ignored. He further stated that failure to comply would result in matta, and then a loss if 'enough' matta were called.

Does anyone know if a rikishi ever lost a match by not complying with this? (Feeling guilty...)

Does anyone know if a rikishi ever lost a match by not complying with this?    (Feeling guilty...)

I don't think so. More interesting, what would be the kimarite? Hansoku sounds too boring for that. (Sign of approval)

Does anyone know if a rikishi ever lost a match by not complying with this?

I don't think so. More interesting, what would be the kimarite? Hansoku sounds too boring for that.  (Sign of approval)

Well, what's the antonym of tsukite? (Feeling guilty...)