Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

New Juryo

First time Juryo -Shiraishi,Raikou, Masatsukasa and Dairaidou.

Oh yeah, and Baruto..(tied with Konishiki for third fastest rise through the ranks from Maezumo)

Ryuuhou -returning. Grand total of 6.

Edited by Kintamayama

Wow, what a surprise. 6 promtions, and 5 of them new.

When was the last time that these happened (6 promotions, and 5 new)?

So, Bart made it to Juryo afterall tough! Surprising! Then I was right assuming that kyokai put lower ranked makushita rikishi against juryo on seshuraku because were thinking about demoting a big number of rikishi.

Hope Bart can once again show all those who think that he can't handle "the wall" to be mistaken. It will be VERY hard tough indeed. If he would make it KK in his first time in sekitorihood I think he will be one lucky fellow indeed and I would cheer for him louder than ever. If not .. well, there always a second chance.

I would rather say if Baruto is indeed a fast-riser (which seems likely by now...) we should expect a kachi-koshi. 15 days mean less opportunities to lose, if you are better than the competition. Asashoryu (9-6, 11-4), Hakuho (9-6, 12-3), Kotooshu (10-5, 13-2) all went through Juryo in two basho without make-koshi at about the same age (18-21).

Anyway, I'd say his promotion is pretty lucky with 5-2 from Ms6w, considering what happened to Shiraishi/Sumanofuji last basho. I guess the Kyokai finally wants to get rid of the Juryo ballast and see new faces quickly. Even the returning guy Ryuho basically is new as his only Juryo basho so far was a 5-10 in Kyushu 2002.

I'm eager too see just who this "Baruto" simpson character even is! (and what a lame shikona! lol) Guess we'll see if he's all you people have cracked him up to be, a truly skilled rikishi or just another oaf.

I'm eager too see just who this "Baruto" simpson character even is!  (and what a lame shikona! lol) Guess we'll see if he's all you people have cracked him up to be, a truly skilled rikishi or just another oaf.

You may take the opportunity and watch some of his bouts on banzuke.com. He certainly is a very strong oaf, and being an oaf isn't bad as Akebono has demonstrated. He just shouldn't start with K1... Edited by Doitsuyama

I have wondered is there a video of Bart from senshuraku bout?

I have wondered is there a video of Bart from senshuraku bout?

No. I will make some videos from other bouts later though. Recording stopped, and I had to start it manually again when Juryo was already underway. Generally the streaming service was a lot worse than last basho. Interruptions, sound lagging, restarts and late beginning only after Juryo dohyo-iri.

Whoah, six promotions. That's one thing I didn't expect considering the last year worth of very permissive non-demotions. I guess Yotsukasa is the one lucky guy who doesn't take the group trip to Makushita then?

I agree about Bart's shikona, it's lame. I had hoped that he would get a real shikona now.

I'm pretty sure it's final, as it means something like "European oaf beating on locals mercilessly, while being illegally large at the same time", or something.

Kidding aside-it seems to me to be final..

AND, the instances of successful foreigners changing their shikonas are virtually non-existent.

at least we don't have to watch no more in Juryo he same pathetic guys like Chiyotenzan, Wakanoyama Kinkaiyama or Sumanofuji ... too bad Chiyohakuho goes to Makushita again though ....

i am excited with the new guys to see what they are made of ...

At least 6 promotions is much more common, last seen in 2004.01 when 8 (of which 3 were new) were promoted to Juryo (including 7-0 Daimanazuru all the way down from Ms16w).

That was expansion-basho, was it not?

Edited by Kintamayama

Let us exclude 2004.01 as the number of Sekitori was expanded by four which skews the "true" number of promotions. Of course each basho with sekitori expansion should be viewed separately which makes this a bit difficult, I guess...

Let us exclude 2004.01 as the number of Sekitori was expanded by four which skews the "true" number of promotions. Of course each basho with sekitori expansion should be viewed separately which makes this a bit difficult, I guess...

Well, it IS more common with 6 promotions than with 5 shin-juryo, and the last basho that happened was indeed 2004.01, but of course, I did forget it was the expansion basho. (Blushing...)

Last "real" 6-promotion-basho was 2003.05 with 3 returns and 3 shin-juryo.

None of the other mentioned basho were expansion-bashos.

So, Bart made it to Juryo afterall tough! Surprising! Then I was right assuming that kyokai put lower ranked makushita rikishi against juryo on seshuraku because were thinking about demoting a big number of rikishi.

I think they had to more or less do that with so many kyujo rikishsi in Makuuchi and Juryo however Baruto shoudn't do too badly with so many Makushita guys going up at the same time.

I guess it could indeed be the end of road for Wakanoyama. A while back when I looked ten years ago and there were only four sekitoris at the time were still around in 2005. One is retired now (Asanowaka), the other imminent (Kotonowaka) and Wakanoyama may be gone soon nowl as I imagine at his age, he doesn't want to stick around in Makushita. So that leaves only one guy left standing in a manner of speaking - Kaio.

I negelected to mention that two of the new five are from the same heya, Mihogaseki.

Here they are with their Oyakata after being notified of their promotion:

20050727-02600490-jijp-spo-view-001.jpg

So after the Hamanoshima-Higonoumi duo out of Mihogaseki, it may soon be the Shiraishi (probably will get a new shikona sometime..) and Baruto duo.

Wow, and I thought Baruto had no chance of promotion after the second loss on Senshuraku. (Blushing...)

He should be able to get himself a KK in lower Juryo. I started thinking he was ready for Juryo after his second match this basho. While his sumo is still raw and developing, he is one strong guy and should be able to win some matches by simply overpowering his opponents. There aren't that many guys in the lower end of Juryo (or in all of Juryo for that matter) who can match his physical strength. He still has his flaws, but KK shouldn't be out of his reach.

BTW, am I mistaken or is Dairaido the first-ever sekitori out of "renegade" stable Takadagawa?

"69 bashos, huh? 12th year?? That's what I'm feeling," said 27 year old Raikou (Hakkaku-beya) when asked about his Juryo promotion. "I haven't had any major injuries so far so I'm happy about that. I'd like to win with forward -going, non-pulling Sumo," he added.

Don't we all..

Raikou with the heya kanban (sign):

f-sp-050727-0602.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

BTW, am I mistaken or is Dairaido the first-ever sekitori out of "renegade" stable Takadagawa?

It depends on what you mean. Despite Takadagawa-beya being started by the current heya-owner (ex-Ozeki Maenoyama) it has been in existence a LONG time (since the 1974 Natsu basho) so almost inevitably a few sekitori have arisen (although not very many...). Dairaido will be number six including ex-Ks Maenoshin and Kenko, ex-M04 Kiraiho, ex-J05 Takuetsuyama and ex-J02 Zenshinyama. Kenko was the latest shin-Juryo in 1991.03 and Zenshinyama was their latest sekitori in 1999.03 before becoming wakaimonogashira later that year. Two sekitori per decade doesnt seem to good in my opinion...

However, this of course means that the only sekitori since Takadagawa became renagade (because of the 1998 riji-elections) was Zenshinyama, and Dairaido will be the first shin-Juryo since then as well.

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

Thanks Yubi. (Clapping wildly...) I was completely off the mark then; I had always been under the impression that the heya was only started shortly before it going renegade.

And Moti, you're slipping...or is the "looks like Kaiho" line too obvious when it's actually a Hakkaku-beya shin-juryo? (Blushing...)

Raiko, 27, Hakkaku Beya from Osaka (Makushita East 2, 5wins 2 losses)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Taking 11 years since his dohyo debut at the 1994 Hatsu Basho)

"I believe this is a result of putting in more training sessions. I did not feel the 11 years to be such a long time. Now that the fact I was able to make it to Juryo, I should be more motivated than ever to train harder. I want to do all I can to keep going with a moving forward sumo style and want to go up to Makuuchi."

Hakkaku oyakata

--------------------

"He tends to be too easy going perhaps but he can absorb his opponent's yotsu moves and he does have a natural ability. I'd like him to sharpen up more on his

push-forward moves."

Dairaido, 25, Takadagawa Beya from Oonojo City, Fukuoka Prefecture

)Makushita West 4, 4 wins 3 losses)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Taking 9 years since his dohyo debut at the 1996 Haru Basho)

"When I heard I made it to Juryo, I was so happy that I almost cried. The nine years felt long but I am so relieved now that I have become a sekitori. I thought by mentally preparing myself each and every one of my bouts made the difference. I want to climb up to a rank where I can display fully my spirited efforts against the yokozuna."

Sendagawa oyakata (with Takadagawa Beya, former Akinoshima)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I believe he has a good enough potential to be really comepetitve in Makuuchi so I want him to work harder to become a rikishi who is to be feared by his opponents."

Baruto, 20, Mihogaseki Beya from Estonia (Makushita West 6, 5 wins 3 losses)

Height, Weight: 197 cm, 165 kg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Now 13th foreign born sekitori from sixth country, the others are Mongolia, Bulgaria, Russia, Georgia and South Korea. Requiring only 8 bashos since his dohyo debut at the 2004 Natsu Basho, third quickest in history)

"I am so surprised. I never dreamed that I'd get promoted this basho at all. I want to learn Tsupparis and I want to display a powerful push-forward sumo style of Roho-zeki. As I will have a bout every day starting next basho, I'd like to win all 15."

Shiraishi, 24, Mihogaseke Beya from Uto City, Kumamoto Prefecutre

(Makushita East 1, 4 wins 3 losses)

- out of the Nihon University Sumo Club, Kanbayashi from Kinki University and Yoshikaze from Nihon Taiiku University graduated in the same year.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Fifth quickest promotion to Juryo, taking only 9 bashos since his dohyo debut)

"I was able to compete well by maintaining my full concentration in each bout at the Nagoya Basho. I did feel I want to be a sekitori as quickly as possible but I did not think much about breaking any promotion record or anything like that. In Juryo I will be trying not to get too defensive oriented and always try to go after my opponent. I will do my very best to keep going up on the Banzuke. I did not want to be beaten by Baruto so I am really happy that I was promoted at the same time."

Mihogaseki oyakata (former Ozeki Masuiyama)

------------------------------------------------------

"I want them to think each other's as a rival and do the best they can."

(On Baruto)

"Even in training sessions he is constantly searching and looking for new ways to win. I really don't want to force him into a certain form as he shows a great promise. He should have a bright future."

(On Shiraishi)

"He has been progressing pretty smoothly. He shows he is serious about sumo and devotes his time studying. In Juryo I want him to go all out showing his favorite

technique, quick push-forward brand of sumo."

Other rikishis promoted:

Masatsukasa, 21, from Aomori Prefecture. Irumagawa Beya.

Ryuho, 28, from Okinawa Prefecture. Michinoku Beya. A returnee.

And Moti, you're slipping...or is the "looks like Kaiho" line too obvious when it's actually a Hakkaku-beya shin-juryo?  (Clapping wildly...)

I think he looks like Takanonami on that picture. (Blushing...)

I agree about Bart's shikona, it's lame. I had hoped that he would get a real shikona now.

I'm pretty sure it's final, as it means something like "European oaf beating on locals mercilessly, while being illegally large at the same time", or something.

Kidding aside-it seems to me to be final..

AND, the instances of successful foreigners changing their shikonas are virtually non-existent.

Yes. Too bad. I don't care much for Kotooshu's shikona either. Besides being hard to pronounce, all it really says is that he is in Sadogatake-beya, and that he is from "Europe". It's just so vapid. If you ask a Bulgarian (or a Swede, or an Italian) where he is from, he would never answer "Europe". Baruto's shikona ("the Balt") is a bird of the same feather but doesn't even have anything like the Koto part.

Compare with Kokkai: it says something about his origin but has a nice poetic meaning in itself. And it has a nice ring to it.

Well, these are just my opinions as a layman in these matters and a non-Japanese. It would be interesting to hear what our Japanese speakers think. (First prize...)