Sign in to follow this  
genghis

What is the difference?

Can anyone tell me how different is the quality of opponents between Yokozuna and Ozeki? Is it the number of wins that make the difference or they actually face different opponents?

Hmmm usually the Yokozuna will have to face the higher ranked (i.e. "difficlut) opponents, as opposed to an Ozeki or rikishi of a lesser rank.

Can anyone tell me how different is the quality of opponents between Yokozuna and Ozeki? Is it the number of wins that make the difference or they actually face different opponents?

They face exactly the same opponents (more or less), except the guys from their own heya. No difference there.

They face exactly the same opponents (more or less), except the guys from their own heya. No difference there.

I guess there could actually be a difference in case there's a hiramaku rikishi who is in contention for the yusho during the last days. Usually, the yokozuna's torikumi cannot be very flexible by the time we get to the final 3-4 days, since he has to face all the ozeki (have there been exceptions to that rule?). I seem to remember cases where the ozeki didn't all face each other due to a guy doing very well and needing some very strong opposition in the closing stages. Seems to me the rule is slightly more flexible regarding ozeki than yokozuna, although the difference is certainly quite negligible...

And depending on the strength of a heya, this can make a huge difference. Case in point is Akebono. He used to have to face everyone, but Taka wouldn't have to face Waka, Takanonami, Akinoshima (off the top of my head) or any of the Futagoyama boys. This meant that he would often fight lower (and thus weaker) maegashira than Akebono would have to.

Thanks to all who responded to my question. The picture is getting clear. Statistically, Yokozuna and Ozeki face same opponents and it is the number of wins that tell them apart. If an ozeki collects enough wins, he gets promoted to Yokozuna. Right?

Wrong. Yokozuna is the one who......well, it's much more interesting if you find out yourself.

Edited by Coo-cook

And depending on the strength of a heya, this can make a huge difference. Case in point is Akebono. He used to have to face everyone, but Taka wouldn't have to face Waka, Takanonami, Akinoshima (off the top of my head) or any of the Futagoyama boys. This meant that he would often fight lower (and thus weaker) maegashira than Akebono would have to.

Or musashigawa-beya who had 3 ozeki (musoyama, dejima, and miyabiyama) as well as Yokozuna Musashimaru at one time, these 4 would never have to face each other unless it was a tiebreaker for the yusho, talk about teamwork!

As a side note an Ozeki may not be required to face all of his fellow Ozeki during a basho or the Yokozuna.

Edited by Ryukaze

Or musashigawa-beya who had 3 ozeki (musoyama, dejima, and miyabiyama) as well as Yokozuna Musashimaru at one time, these 4 would never have to face each other unless it was a tiebreaker for the yusho, talk about teamwork!     

As a side note an Ozeki may not be required to face all of his fellow Ozeki during a basho or the Yokozuna.

The Musashigawa beya menace just didn't turn out to be as powerful as Futagoyama has been. Just look at your own words: How often has there been a kettei-sen for the yusho between Musashigawa-beya rikishi and between Futagoyama-beya rikishi? There was no need to even mention this exception for Musashigawa. Miyabiyama never was Ozeki strength at this rank, Dejima was good but just for a too short time. Musoyama wasn't exactly bad, but despite the menace his yusho opportunities very quite rare.

That is interesting. Thanks for the fact. So, Ozeki does not necessarily face all highest ranking wrestlers, while Yokozuna MUST face all of them, except from the same beya.

That is interesting. Thanks for the fact. So, Ozeki does not necessarily face all highest ranking wrestlers, while Yokozuna MUST face all of them, except from the same beya.

No, they both face the same opposition more or less. The only time they might not face one another is when the Yokozuna or one of the Ozeki has to face a low ranking Maegashira who is in Yusho contention and is being brought up by the Kyokai to face sanyaku. Then an Ozeki vs Ozeki bout or an Ozeki vs Yokozuna bout might have to get dropped.

Outside of that, they generally face the same exact opposition, so long as they are not from the same heya.

In fact, because an Ozeki is more likely than the Yokozuna to be used against a Maegashira who has a great basho, one can argue that occasionally the Ozeki have the harder schedule.

Edited by Ryukaze

I don't think there really is a difference in the schedules of Ozeki and Yokozuna. Maegashira opponents are brought up only seldom to face anyone above Sekiwake, because they are usually already defeated by high Maegashira or lower Sanyaku rikishi.

Btw: When was the last time two Ozeki from different Heya finished the basho without meeting each other? For Yokozuna the last (and maybe even the only) time was Haru 2000 when the Akebono vs Musashimaru bout was sacrificed for Takatoriki, who consequently lost to both Yokozuna but still won the Yusho.

If I may I would respectfully like to disagree with your opinion (most venerable doitsuyama).

While I will agree with you that the Musashigawa-beya ozeki were never exactly a "yusho-threat" simply the fact that Yokozuna Musashimaru never had to face any of his 3 fellow ozeki stablemates (while Takanohana did as well as the other 2 ozeki) had to have been an advantage to at least some degree. 

If I may also add the Futagoyama bunch was never exactly a "powerhouse" in my opinion either (aside from Yokozuna Takanohana of course). In the rare instances that Takanonami was ever in contention (twice) he did win but way more often than not he was never a threat, like wise Akinoshima and Takatoriki were hardly considered Yusho threats as well (granted Takatoriki did have his miracle run in 2002 but...) Just my 4.20 as usual though ....

Takanonami was part of the Yusho race quite often. I recall Akebono's first Yokozuna Yusho, in which he defeated Takanonami and Takatoriki in the Playoff. Nami also lost the 5man playoff to Musashimaru and lost the Yusho decider in March 99 to him when both were 12-2 on senshuraku. He probably was part of the Yusho race on more occasions.

One of the biggest Futagoyama advantages might have been not to face Akinoshima. This guy has 16 Kinboshi. While he certainly was not a Yusho rikishi he could defeat anybody on a good day...

Btw: When was the last time two Ozeki from different Heya finished the basho without meeting each other?

Musoyama and Chiyotaikai, Haru 2004.

If I may I would respectfully like to disagree with your opinion (most venerable doitsuyama).

While I will agree with you that the Musashigawa-beya ozeki were never exactly a "yusho-threat" simply the fact that Yokozuna Musashimaru never had to face any of his 3 fellow ozeki stablemates (while Takanohana did as well as the other 2 ozeki) had to have been an advantage to at least some degree. 

If I may also add the Futagoyama bunch was never exactly a "powerhouse" in my opinion either (aside from Yokozuna Takanohana of course). In the rare instances that Takanonami was ever in contention (twice) he did win but way more often than not he was never a threat, like wise Akinoshima and Takatoriki were hardly considered Yusho threats as well (granted Takatoriki did have his miracle run in 2002 but...) Just my 4.20 as usual though ....

I don't even see the disagreement. I never said that Musashigawa joi-jin rikishi didn't have an advantage. Of course they had. It just was much less than in the times of Futagoyama (which might be our disagreement). Btw, your Futagoyama recollection seem to miss one thing or two. You don't mention Wakanohana at all... Takanonami actually was stronger than you recall... and there were times Futagoyama had 8 rikishi in the joi-jin with Misugisato, Naminosato and Takamisugi which meant that all Futagoyama rikishi regularly had opponents at M6 or M7 just to get 15 different opponents.

I don't even see the disagreement. I never said that Musashigawa joi-jin rikishi didn't have an advantage. Of course they had. It just was much less than in the times of Futagoyama (which might be our disagreement). Btw, your Futagoyama recollection seem to miss one thing or two. You don't mention Wakanohana at all... Takanonami actually was stronger than you recall... and there were times Futagoyama had 8 rikishi in the joi-jin with Misugisato, Naminosato and Takamisugi which meant that all Futagoyama rikishi regularly had opponents at M6 or M7 just to get 15 different opponents.

Which is why I think Akebono deserves a lot of respect for all his yusho, precisely because he had to fight all the sanyaku. If only he'd retired gracefully from all sports... (Nodding yes...)

LOL yeah my bad bro I wasn't going back that far (thinking "post Wakanohana") era here wasn't a fan when he was active, anyways........

All things being equal (not considering the heya thing) ozekis HAVE a harder schedule than Yokozunas.

A yokozuna does not have to face himself. An ozeki has to face all the other yokozuna. Thus, if one were to assume that a yokozuna is a harder opponent than an Ozeki (a safe bet in most cases), than an Ozeki generally has a harder schedule.

Edited by Zuikakuyama

All things being equal (not considering the heya thing) ozekis HAVE a harder schedule than Yokozunas.

A yokozuna does not have to face himself.  An ozeki has to face all the other yokozuna.  Thus, if one were to assume that a yokozuna is a harder opponent than an Ozeki (a safe bet in most cases), than an Ozeki generally has a harder schedule.

True, and the ones with the hardest schedule are typically ranked komusubi or maegashira 1.

True, and the ones with the hardest schedule are typically ranked komusubi or maegashira 1.

Incidentally, this basho's sacrificial Maegashira lamb seems to have been Futeno, facing all but one sanyaku in the first week (and the last one coming up today with Mickey). And with all the kyujo coming up, he will probably end up with the hardest schedule of anyone this basho. The only one who can still rival him is Roho who's faced everyone from Yokozuna to Sekiwake already.