Sign in to follow this  
Senpai

Baruto in makushita

Pretty bad day for prospects as well as to foreigners. Orora and Maenoyu got their first losses and are out of yusho race. Young Takahashi is now added to the list as he might be the prospect from jonokuchi as well as he is number one pick for yusho in the lowest division. Wakanoho keeps it well and took his second. One match of the day for lower division Baruto didn't fail his supporters and managed to take another point to his win record.

DAY 4

Jk40e

Edited by Senpai

Baruto fans are lucky as I again could record his bout today. Not a triviality I might add as yesterday a power shovel cut through the phone line right in front of my house. A whole block is without phone and internet now (well, mostly one- and two-family-houses, so not that many people). Of course this happened right after the start of the streaming, so the whole day 3 recording is lost. Oh, and the phone company (Telekom, of course) didn't show up until twelve hours later. Maybe they'll do something about that today, maybe not. My workplace's firewall doesn't allow video streams at all, so I got into an Internet cafe to record the stream. If anyone is looking for a cheap Internet cafe in Berlin, it's pretty central at Nollendorfplatz on my way to work, 24 hours open and just 0.10

Can't wait to see this .. as I am at work to and can't watch them online (Nodding yes...)

Baruto fans are lucky as I again could record his bout today. Not a triviality I might add as yesterday a power shovel cut through the phone line right in front of my house. A whole block is without phone and internet now (well, mostly one- and two-family-houses, so not that many people). Of course this happened right after the start of the streaming, so the whole day 3 recording is lost. Oh, and the phone company (Telekom, of course) didn't show up until twelve hours later. Maybe they'll do something about that today, maybe not. My workplace's firewall doesn't allow video streams at all, so I got into an Internet cafe to record the stream. If anyone is looking for a cheap Internet cafe in Berlin, it's pretty central at Nollendorfplatz on my way to work, 24 hours open and just 0.10
Edited by Taka

The question is not easy to understand. Maybe nabu meant this basho already, then the answer is: That's very unlikely as Ms6w is a rank from which Juryo "invitations" are very rare.

OK, I will admit that I don't understand this concept at all. I guess I am thinking too logically. And maybe my assumptions are wrong. Please correct me.

Situation: All Makuuchi are genki and particpate in all 15 days. One Juryo (Hayateumi) is not genki, and is kyujo for all 15 days. This necessitates one callup from Makushita each day.

My assumption is that no Makushita sumotori will have to wrestle more than once in Juryo during one basho. If this is wrong, let me know. If it is not wrong, then it would seem to me that everyone from MS1E to MS8E would have at least one match in Juryo.

Is the rarity of a MS6W appearing in Juryo simply based on the fact that the situation and assumption do not happen that often? Or is there something else that I am not aware of?

And please, Doitsuyama, do not think it is pick on you week. You just happen to be tied to the crazy things that have crossed my mind the past couple of days.

Thanks to all for their responses.

Torideyama

My assumption is that no Makushita sumotori will have to wrestle more than once in Juryo during one basho.
Edited by Asashosakari

And some may think that sumo is simple sport to understand. Heh, there are so many exceptions, rareness, occasional situations, things that depend on other things and so one - that sometimes I wonder how big is the rulebook in sumo!

So it's day 5 and other intresting bout to come!

Ms6w 
Edited by Senpai

Another day over for our prospects Homasho gained his first win in high makushita, Shiraishi got over his last loss and won again in a road to achive a kk in the end of the basho to get promotion. Sawai and Baruto continue strongly both with 3-0.

DAY 5

Jd20w

Edited by Senpai

I haven't seen many of Baruto's matches. But, judging of his last few bouts, it seems he is relying too much on his physics (and defence) and there are no exciting technics and finess to his bouts.

His strenght and physics will carry him for a while....but if he wants be on top of the ladder he needs much more than just physics. Maybe I'm judging him too soon.

Sorry, Baruto fans ...I can't join Baruto hype right now (not because I'm a Mongolian).

By the way, Kotooshu is most technical rikishi among Europeans...but, sometimes his tall physics become hinderniss to him, I think (problems with balancing and firm footing).

Edited by Coo-cook

His strenght and physics will carry him for a while....but if he wants be on  top of the ladder he needs much more than just physics. Maybe I'm judging him too soon.

I also find Baruto's sumo to be a bit one dimensional. In nearly every bout, he immediately tries to get into his left-uwate, right-shitate grip. Granted, he's a VERY strong man, with a good sense of balance, but I think this one-dimensional sumo will only let him get so far.

I haven't seen many of Baruto's matches. But, judging of his last few  bouts, it seems he is relying too much on his physics (and defence) and there are no exciting  technics and finess to his bouts.

Makushita isn't really the right environment to become a versatile rikishi - for that, you really need to compete against top opponents that can provide a challenge to you in every bout. That said, I'm quite impressed with Baruto this basho. His main weakness (lack of patience) from the previous few basho seems to be almost completely gone, and his mawashi techniques look very crisp for somebody who's only been doing Ozumo for a little over a year. It's not spectacular most of the time, but he appears to have the fundamentals down pretty well, which should bode well for the future.

Edited by Asashosakari

It's funny to hear that going for the mawashi is considered one-dimensional. Most of the youngsters tend to settle for oshi-sumo early, and usually it's them being called one-dimensional. (Chiyotaikai anyone?)

I think it's quite remarkable for Baruto being able to rely on strong yotsu-sumo already. He's farther ahead than many other talents in my opinion just by that.

Maybe not one dimensional, but predictable. Like I said, his talents will grow with time, and I fully expect to see him in Makuuchi, but after that, who knows.

I haven't seen many of Baruto's matches. But, judging of his last few  bouts, it seems he is relying too much on his physics (and defence) and there are no exciting  technics and finess to his bouts.

Oh, you mean like Akebono? Right - no chance of him getting anywhere.

Edited by Kintamayama

I haven't seen many of Baruto's matches. But, judging of his last few
Edited by Coo-cook

I do hope he changes his shikona though...

Why? I kinda like it. Baruto the Brute.

It's more Baruto the Bart though, going by the Japanese pronunciation. (Clapping wildly...) Moti already made all the Simpsons jokes a year ago, so I won't rehash those. B-)

DAY 6

Jk40e

Edited by Senpai

Tomorrow the 1st KK arrives.

Several duels in makushita, of which some to open the door of the juryo and new heads at the sekitori:

1st duel between 2 old makushita 1:

Raiko ms-2-e (3-0)/Masatsukasa ms-3-w (3-0)

2nd duel between old a makushita 1 and ONE GREAT HOPE

Hochiyama ms-9-e (3-0)/Baruto ms-6-w (3-0)

(Clapping wildly...) un peu de chance qui vient de France (Feeling artistic...)