Sign in to follow this  
Mark Buckton

Sumo Fan Mag

www.sumofanmag.com

Am tempted to just put up the address and let you access for yourself.

However, I don't think that would be fair on all those who have made Sumo Fan Magazine the reality it is - the only English language online magazine offering so much to so many for so little.

If you have been around sumo for a while you will recognise some of the contributors as members here and on other sumo related boards. You may even know them personally. This all boils down to the fact that, as is, SFM truly is a magazine 'by the fans, for the fans.'

Hope you enjoy it, will keep checking back and even pagemark us but, but, but, as with all initial online ventures, we at SFM are going to be learning as we go. This applies particularly to the 'technical' side of things. We have a great team working on digital, browsing, databases and other thingys that most find hard to understand anyway, so any teething problems in the days ahead - shouldn't be with us for too long so please grin and bear it. That said, I apologise in advance for any inconvenience that rears its ugly head.

Finally, if you find you are having a repeat problem reading or accessing the site please let me know via: editor@sumofanmag.com.

Mark Buckton

Editor & Creative Director

www.sumofanmag.com

Edited by Adachinoryu

Wow.

(Whistling...)

That said - articles could do with some proofreading (mostly for mysterious lack of spaces between words), my favorite example being this oopsie from "Le Monde du Sumo" article:

[...] for French-speaking people all that was available were two web sites (Should these sites be listed here?).

;-)

All in all - looks good. (Enjoying a beer...)

Woohooo!!!! (Applauding...) (Sign of approval) :-D (Whistling...)

Fantastic reading & a great looking mag! And what a staff... (Enjoying a beer...) ;-) I know it takes alot of hard work to put out something like this, and your effort really shows through! I look forward to pouring over this site often - and buying the mag in hard copy when it comes available. (Dribbling...) Please, please, please keep it coming!

(Enjoying a beer...) Thank you for giving those of us who have no understanding at all of any Japanese an English magazine!!!

(Enjoying a beer...) Great stuff! Is it X-Mas already? (Whistling...)

Hey, I even spotted an oopsie, well hidden at the very bottom of Jonosuke's Staff Profile. (Bleh!)

It looks great (what I've read so far (Enjoying a beer...) ).

It's great to see G_____ O_____ is alive and well - and contributing so nicely (Whistling...)

Brilliant web site and, the way it's designed and written up, quite complementary to the Spanish and French e-zines! A great reference for sumo fans all over! (Enjoying a beer...)

Excellent work! All that wonderful information that floats around here (and the SML) put into a digestable form. this would be a very good resource to put our friends and family on to. They have suffered with us loving sumo but perhaps have never found a way in on the ground floor. This mag might help in that respect. (Enjoying a beer...)

i hope we can continue to improve. keep those comments coming. this is a fans magazine. help us improve.

Not too much left to improve on from my vantage point. (Whistling...)

I wouldn't mind seeing a SW-like hoshitori - the kind that was a grid of the sekitori by rank with their win/loss. It made it easy to spot who fought who, etc. BTW - I love the fact that the online games are included! (Sign of approval). I'm looking forward to hearing from some other games-masters (like maybe from an unnamed poster from 4 posts up) (Applauding...)

Oh, and I assume the investigative article on "Sekitori - Their Calpis Likes & Loves" is coming in the next issue. Right? (Enjoying a beer...) ;-)

Great stuff ... i am already registered and reading as much as i can ....

if a printed format ever comes out i am first in line to buy it !!!!

Thank you guys.

Wow! (Enjoying a beer...)

This is fantastic. Allow me to pile on with the others here to say thank you very much for providing this resource. I love to read stories like heya-visits and other "insider" reports. (Actually, if Mr. Gunning could lend his keen eye to Takanohana's stable to assess if they are "up and coming" with the yokozuna's guidance or in permanent limbo, I would love to hear his thoughts!)

And yes, when the printed version comes out, I will subscribe immediately.

Well done and keep going!

C.

Excellent indeed! Though, one small thing:

On the right hand side, the gold menu thing doesn't quite line up with the category titles. This appears to be the only page I've seen that doesn't match. Just a very tiny thing I saw.

Very, very nice. Thanks a million, congratulations, and keep it up !

when the printed version comes out, I will subscribe immediately.

Me, too. Our banzuke provider is now a magazine editor as well. The man's talents appear to be endless. My only fear is that the magazine will become very successful, Clyde Newton will buy it, and then promptly run it into the ground. (Enjoying a beer...)

Hip hop hourray !! You made it, congratulations !!! (Enjoying a beer...)

Keep up the good work. By the time, it gets tougher !! (Bleh!)

Bravo,

Chienoshima

some response above (Whistling...) - thanks to you all and guess the glitches thus far aren't putting you off too much.

Working on them, working on issue 2 already so, as Nishinoshima said - what do YOU need? No promises immediately but will do what we can.

JG - cheers my man. (Enjoying a beer...)

I simply love you all :'-( (Whistling...) Thank you so much.

Maybe one day I will be able to help.

To Kurt Easterwood- You catch a soul by taking a photo...forget about Newton.

(Enjoying a beer...)

ARTIST!

Great stuff!

(In a state of confusion...)

Looks very nice yes and undoubtedly a big effort by the founding architects of this project in compiling everything together and working out all the technical and other details. Honoured to have the chance to contribute to this magazine! Thanks.

Great magazine, great idea!

I specially like the "Rikishi of Old" section.

Thanks a lot for your effort, guys (In a state of confusion...)

Some stuff that i would find interesting in the future:

Question of the month, where readers send in questions, and one gets answered each issue

Statto's corner, where each issue a different set of statistics is looked at for its history, significance, etc. Just little bits of statistical information that the real stattos out there might find interesting, like "Only 3 Yokozunas have spent 3 bashos at the Ozeki rank."

cheers for all the responses to date and the suggestions - will try and incorporate some and see what the response is.

Best.

MB

Speakin' of old guys (In a state of confusion...) , I would love to see a feature that narratively recaps old basho, too. Not just a win/loss thing, but more of a story. Add in interesting kimarite, rivalries, odd events, retirements, new additions to the kokugikan's cafe menu, etc. for flavor. Doing one basho per issue would leave the mag with endless stories, and it would be sure to jog memories (anybody remember the Aki 1994 basho - see?). (Showing respect...) It might take a bit of work to dig up the details, but it could sure be fun.

Maybe also a "This day/week/month/bi-month in Sumo", too (something like Rowan's newsclips pages). It could be as simple as "on xx/yy day 50 years ago, Zzz-zeki set the new record for qqq".