Sign in to follow this  
Erkhembulgan

Sumo basketball

Basketball game between mongolian sumo wrestlers and mongolian national wrestlers took place in Ulaanbaatar Wrestling Palace, on May, 25.

Sumo basketball team members: yokozuna Asashoryu(captain), Hakuho, Asasekiryu, Ama, Tokitenku, Ryuo, Daiki. Coach: grand champion Munkhbat(Hakuho's father and Olympic silver medalist).

National wrestlers' team: grand champion(=yokozuna) Sukhbat (acting champion), lion(= ozeki) Munkh-Erdene, phoenix(=sekivake) Sumiyabazar(Asashoryu's elder brother), phoenix Gantogtokh(Coach's son), = komusubi Bayarjavkhlan, maegashira Gankhuyag. Coach: grand champion Bayanmunkh (former World champion, Olympic silver medalist).

Sumo team was leading through all quaters(6 min each) but national wrestlers recovered by the end of game and were able to tie the score. 48 seconds before the end Hakuho and Ama managed to score 6 points. Sumo team won - 39:35

post-539-1117193676_thumb.jpg

Must have been hard to make one's place "in the paint". Would be interesting to know who was the top rebounder in this game.

Must have been hard to make one's place "in the paint". Would be interesting to know who was the top rebounder in this game.

I wonder how often they were substituting players.... (Sigh...)

I haven't seen the game (I am away from my home country) and noticed on the photo that Asa's number was 68... (Nodding yes...)

I doubt it was Ama!

Guest Super_Mongolian_Sumo
I haven't seen the game (I am away from my home country) and noticed on the photo that Asa's number was 68... (Nodding yes...)

Yes, and Hakuho's was 69. (Sign of approval)

I doubt it was Ama!

unless he has a serious vertical (Nodding yes...)

Edited by _the_mind_

But why basketball? I think an opportunity has been missed....

I understand that Australian Rules football and Gaelic Rules (from Ireland) regularly play a match against each other with 'compromise' rules between the two fairly similar sport.

Also, in England, there has been at least one game between the champion's of Rugby League anf the Champion's of Rugby Union (they are quite different sports, but with very similar skills required.), where one half of the game was played using one set of rules, and the other half using the other.

Which leads me onto this... You have 14 rikishi / Mongolian wrestlers (sorry, forgotten the correct name) at the top of their respective sports, which although very different, have similar enough skills to allow them to compete against each other, and yet they choose to play basketball?!?

Just think of the funding, think of the Japanese TV interest, think of the story.....

Seven Mongolians who have made it big in Japan as rikishi return to Mongolia, to go back to their roots. They take on their fellow country-men at the national sport (wearing the correct clothing etc) in a mini-tournament of Mongolian Sumo. I have no idea who'd win.

Then, the Mongolian rikishi go to Japan, and stay at the heyas of their Japan-based fellow countrymen. They are all given a week-long crash course in sumo, (and perhapas tsukebito duties etc) with the follow-up tournament also shown as a 'TV special'. You could even make it a yearly event (Nodding yes...)

Now, those competitions would really be worth watching!

Just think of the funding, think of the Japanese TV interest, think of the story.....

Think of the Sumo Kyokai saying "No!"

Seems like a rather frivilous activity to be engaged in (considering the potential for injury) especially considering the fact that each of these guys are pro athletes. Wonder how they got clearance from their respected organizations (contracts or whatever...) to participate in something like this. ??? -

Seems like a rather frivilous activity to be engaged in (considering the potential for injury) especially considering the fact that each of these guys are pro athletes.  Wonder how they got clearance from their respected organizations (contracts or whatever...) to participate in something like this.  ??? -

I know what you mean. A few years ago Canadian sprinter Donovan Bailey (former World & Olympic champion, 100m world-record holder) was playing basketball with friends, and ruptured his achilles tendon. After successful surgery to repair the injury, he had a long slow recovery, and was never at his former level again.

I can hear them, but I still like my idea (Nodding yes...)

Seems like a rather frivilous activity to be engaged in (considering the potential for injury) especially considering the fact that each of these guys are pro athletes.

AFAIK, there are very rarely any injuries in jungyo tours. That would be a special kind of jungyo tour, and obviously they wouldn't go all out. Sure, the NSK would say "No!", but I don't think it's such a bad idea at all...

A "jungyo" tour when there's a more than reasonable chance for all the Ozumo stars to be humiliated by getting beaten? The NSK will carve their 'No!' in granite!

A "jungyo" tour when there's a more than reasonable chance for all the Ozumo stars to be humiliated by getting beaten? The NSK will carve their 'No!' in granite!

This is actually pretty good idea and people have tried to make it happen before. But every existing rule, says "No" to the idea, from Sumo Dress code to selling the media rights. Besides, everybody would not want to see an active Yokozuna is beaten by a some one from a different wrestling.

I for one would definetly love a tournament in, say, football, between all rikishis. Oh yeah!