Sign in to follow this  
Manekineko

Watchmen - Alan Moore

Thanks for finally unveiling the mystery behind Your current avatar!  (Carried away on a stretcher...)

Not that I didn't scatter hints in sig and title... (Nodding yes...)

Thanks for finally unveiling the mystery behind Your current avatar!

Thanks for finally unveiling the mystery behind Your current avatar!

(Biting):  Okay, what comic, and where can I find a sample on the internet?

Here?

And by the way...

(For the record, I strongly object to this kind of threads...B-))

Since no one actually said it, the comic in the avatar is "Watchmen." and i second the notion on its greatness. find it, buy it, revel in its brilliance.

Staying (You are going off-topic...)

one of the best comics ever ... i just worship whatever this man writes ... have you read Promethea?

Yes, and basically everything else he ever wrote. My big brother is a huge fan of his, and "fed" me Alan Moore since I was in high-school. Swamp Thing first, then the rest... He really is a class of his own, in every sense of the phrase.

One of his stories is on-line, good sample of his style: Light of Thy Countenance

Edit: Jejima, "Watchmen" is a sort of comic book (err... graphic novel) my brother gives to people who don't like to read comics. It's like seeing Asashoryu dump Musashimaru - mind-blowing. (Dribbling...)

And no, I have no intention of watching film versions of LoEG, From Hell, V for Vendetta... ever. (Sign of disapproval)

(For the record, I strongly object to this kind of threads...(Being thrown tomatoes at...))

(Blushing...)

Edited by Manekineko

(For the record, I strongly object to this kind of threads...(Being thrown tomatoes at...))

Watchmen is worthy of the longest off-topic thread in any forum, and that's an understatement.

Then again, any words about Watchmen can only be an understatement, so it may actually be smarter to keep the thread short...

I must admit it seems kind of rude to me to go so blatantly off-topic in a newcomer's thread requesting information... (Being thrown tomatoes at...) JMHO.

Thread split...please? (You are going off-topic...)

Watchmen was the second comic book / graphic novel I read from Alan Moore, after The Killing Joke (a very special Batman story). In some way I regret to have read what I consider his ultimate masterpiece so early in my process of getting to know his oeuvre. I am now a little frustrated each time I read something new from him, although brilliant it always is. I think all his works are quite ambitious in some way or another (and usually in more ways than one), but Watchmen is quite unique in the sense that not only does it have a very original narrative construction, with many layers (including surely lots of references to the genre of comic books and to different kinds of mythologies, whether modern or not) and different supporting media (like extracts from the biography of one of the characters and other documents that add pieces to the puzzle), but it also is quite deep politically and philosophically speaking. And the psychology of all the main characters is digged into quite extensively and convincingly, which was also quite revolutionary in the universe of comic books dealing with so-called "superheroes".

Then again, I haven't read everything Alan Moore has written (he's been extremely productive!) and maybe there are some pearls yet unknown to me that I would cherish as much as Watchmen. In addition to Watchmen and The Killing Joke, I've read V for Vendetta, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Promethea books 1 and 2, and some from each From Hell (I plan to read it all soon), Swamp Thing and Miracleman. Maybe I've read other stuff from him but can't seem to recall just now.

I've heard they plan to shoot movies of both V for Vendetta and Watchmen (Terry Gilliam wanted to do it, but realized it would be impossible; now it seems the director is gonna be the visually apt but not very "substantial" Alex Proyas). What a waste of time, most masterpieces are best in their original art media (I'm still looking forward to the movie Sin City though, since it seems quite convincing visually speaking, benefits from the co-operation of Frank Miller himslef, and its "film noir" style with the deep narrating voice should fit quite well the feature film format IMHO).

look for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vol.3 from Top Shelf Publishing somepoint next year ...

great storytelling, fascinating scenarios and perfect aura for everyone who likes pulp fiction (not the movie) and english literature.

Not good for guys who think reading comics is easy ... (Whistling...)

Watchmen was probably the most structured of Moore's comics. I think I like V for Vendetta best... it's more down-to-earth, more "real", and David Lloyd draws bautifully. My big bro likes Halo Jones best. You may notice that those are all his earlier works - later he shifted his attention to magic, power of words and symbols etc, and it shows in his work which became more of an experiment than story-telling. His writing is still brilliant and worth a read (simply the level of detail he got into in From Hell or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is, well, mindblowing), but the stories don't go to the heart as they used to. I admire them, but they do not move me.

Exception are his lighter pieces, doing super-heroes as super-heroes should be done, written for fun and read for enjoyment. I like Top 10 the best of those, but then I was always partial to detective/police stories.

Call me a kid but i love Tom Strong ...

now THIS is pulp comics brought back to life !!!!

I think I like V for Vendetta best... it's more down-to-earth, more "real", and David Lloyd draws bautifully. My big bro likes Halo Jones best. You may notice that those are all his earlier works

Yes, V for Vendetta is a very powerful story, quite topical too at the moment - that's how I feel anyway. I think what makes V and Watchmen stand out compared to more recent works may be their political dimension. I'm not going to elaborate on political views here, but I must say that in general a work of art (or thought) that is totally apolitical cannot touch me very deeply.

That's why I'd like to ask whether Halo Jones is one of these more political works (no need to be too specific / explicit): maybe it is something that most of Moore's early works have in common. His latest stuff seems to be more concerned with a "metatheory of fiction" (through the allegory of Promethea, the fictional character that becomes real, or through clever references to the world of comic books as a closed system), and I think it somewhat lacks a soul - or maybe just an involvement in today's world...

Edited by Azumaryu

That's why I'd like to ask whether Halo Jones is one of these more political works (no need to be too specific / explicit): maybe it is something that most of Moore's early works have in common.

Well, his political views do come through, naturally, but it is really more focused on humane dimension, the ways society alienates and crushes people... The full title is The Ballad of Halo Jones, and is just as title says: Ballad about the heroine against the world, as ballads tend to be. Classical, powerful story, and a good read. Also one of those beautifully drawn books. :-)

Ballad about the heroine against the world, as ballads tend to be.

She against the world, sounds rather political to me (I use political in a broad sense, in which anything that has to do with one's place in the world is political; not in the sense which is, I presume, a no-no on this forum), I've got to read that one :-)

(I use political in a broad sense, in which anything that has to do with one's place in the world is political; not in the sense which is, I presume, a no-no on this forum)

Then any good story is political... (Bleh!)

I don't know how easily available Halo Jones is, it was originally published in sequels in 2000 A.D. (of Judge Dredd fame :-) ), and compiled by Titan Books in three books (that's the version I read). I see that they re-published it as one book in the meanwhile...

Then any good story is political...  (Bleh!)

Hmm, that's true, that makes even Promethea political... I guess I have to revise my definition... :-) :-)

Halo Jones 1, 2 and 3 are actually available in the Helsinki city libraries (and many of them too) - although in the Finnish translated version. In one minute, I have now ordered the three of them, and they will all be available in my local library, a one and a half minute walk from my place, on Monday or Tuesday. Love the Finnish library system... B-)

Love the Finnish library system...  :-)

Lucky man. Not only instant ordering, but libraries that keep comics! (not to mention the existance of publishers that actually translate and print them...)

Envy of green am I. :-)