Sign in to follow this  
Araiguma_Rascal

Next Yokozuna

Who will be the next rikishi promoted to Yokozuna?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next rikishi promoted to Yokozuna?

• Tochiazuma
    • Hakuho
    • Kotooshu
    • Kaio
    • Chiyotaikai
    • Wakanosato
    • Roho
    • Kisenosato
    • Ama
    • None of the above

Tochiazuma!!

13-2 with a win tomorrow vs Asa, making him a Yokozuna candidate, plus he WILL win the Nagoya Basho, securing the promotion.

You read it here first!!

That is, if his shoulder doesn't fall off B-)

Edited by Faustonowaka

Tochiazuma!!

13-2 with a win tomorrow vs Asa, making him a Yokozuna candidate, plus he WILL win the Nagoya Basho, securing the promotion.

You read it here first!!

That is, if his shoulder doesn't fall off B-)

Also, Asashoryu should throw another month-long party like last year. Then the lack of keiko could catch up with him...

someone MUST become Yokozuna in the future so i guess Hakuho fits the role better right now (don't know then ....)

A far away second must be Azuma but you can never tell with him ...

the rest are too old or too "little".

someone MUST become Yokozuna in the future so i guess Hakuho fits the role better right now (don't know then ....)

A far away second must be Azuma but you can never tell with him ...

the rest are too old or too "little".

There does not necessarily have to be a Yokozuna, although it's a pretty good bet that there will usually be at least one. But as long as Asashoryu remains this dominant it would be hard for anyone else to win back-to-back yusho, though.

The fact that Tochiazuma has a winning record head-to-head vs. Asashoryu makes him the closest right now, but he is I think 29, 5 years older than Asa. Hakuho is 19, 5 years younger than Asa. So time is on Hakuho's side, and not on Tochiazuma's side.

For no particular reason, Kotomitsuki!

Dreams... (Applauding...)

but I say Hakuho. I think a poll about the next few Ozeki would be more interesting- Hakuho+ Futeno, Kotooshu

I would say Hakuho has the best chance amongst those listed but I can't see any of them making it that far.

Hakuho has done well so far and though he is a bit stalled, he has many years ahead of him - perhaps he could do it.

Kotooshu - does he look any better than Wakanosato or Kotomitsuki when they first made it to sanyaku? I don't think so and they haven't even made it to Ozeki.

I'm not saying he won't but I don't find it likely based on what I've seen.

Kisenosato is also young enough to have more potential than he's shown but this tournament didn't make me think of him in a future Yokozuna way at all.

As for the older candidates, I can't imagine someone who's been kadoban so many times or even demoted from ozeki ever actually getting the nod from the YDC. I suppose the desire for a Japanese champion might help push it through though.

Here's a question for the stats jockeys. Has anyone made it to Yokozuna after several years of mediocre records in and out of sanyaku? Recently?

I would say Hakuho has the best chance amongst those listed but I can't see any of them making it that far.

Hakuho has done well so far and though he is a bit stalled, he has many years ahead of him - perhaps he could do it.

Kotooshu - does he look any better than Wakanosato or Kotomitsuki when they first made it to sanyaku? I don't think so and they haven't even made it to Ozeki.

I'm not saying he won't but I don't find it likely based on what I've seen.

Kisenosato is also young enough to have more potential than he's shown but this tournament didn't make me think of him in a future Yokozuna way at all.

As for the older candidates, I can't imagine someone who's been kadoban so many times or even demoted from ozeki ever actually getting the nod from the YDC.  I suppose the desire for a Japanese champion might help push it through though.

Here's a question for the stats jockeys. Has anyone made it to Yokozuna after several years of mediocre records in and out of sanyaku? Recently?

Takanosato immediately comes to mind. He spent 5 years, mostly in the megashira ranks, then he suddenly clicked, then got to yokozuna in less than 2 years, at age 31.

Mienoumi, the current Musashigawa was also quite similar.

Hakuho

I just don't see anyone else on this list who looks like a future Yokozuna (except maybe Kisenosato). Though Hakuho is in a slump, I still believe that if he goes all out with his keiko, he can have a 12+ win basho, and can eventually get to Ozeki. After that he either has to pull off a really impressive performance two basho in a row, where he out performs his Yokozuna countryman, or he has to wait for an Asashoryu injury. It could happen.

As for the older candidates, I can't imagine someone who's been kadoban so many times or even demoted from ozeki ever actually getting the nod from the YDC.
Edited by Yubiquitoyama

For no particular reason, Kotomitsuki!

I would be overjoyed just to see him get Ozeki.

(Sigh...) But we can't help him with our mental power :-S ...he has to move his (Censored) :-D

Here is my feel...

Closest

-Kaio

-Tochiazuma

2nd closest(more of a potential)

-Hakuho

-Kotooshu

-Kotomitsuki

3rd closest(more of a just a potential)

-Roho

-Baruto

-Kisenosato

4th closest(remote potential)

-kotoshogiku

-hokutoriki

-tamanoshima

My hope is see tall big guys like Roho, Kotooshu, Baruto, Yoshiazuma(even just a remote potential for makuuchi) do yokozuna dohyoiri again. I miss Akebono & Kitao's act.

Edited by hoshidango

As for the rest of the candidates Hakuho has to now (as in first 8 or so Makunouchi-basho) a better record than virtually any rikishi the past 50 years except Taiho and possibly someone more.

I would definitely put Futahaguro on this list. He secured Ozeki promotion on his 8th basho.

-hokutoriki

(Carried away on a stretcher...) That's a good one! (Nodding yes...)

I think Katayama might sneak in there...but maybe I am just voting with emotion

As for the rest of the candidates Hakuho has to now (as in first 8 or so Makunouchi-basho) a better record than virtually any rikishi the past 50 years except Taiho and possibly someone more.

I would definitely put Futahaguro on this list. He secured Ozeki promotion on his 8th basho.

Yeah, of course... Despite listing them a few days ago I forgot about him... Sigh, I'm getting more sloppy than ever... (Carried away on a stretcher...)

-hokutoriki

B-) That's a good one! :-)

(You are going off-topic...)

you beat me to this.

i think someone ate the wrong kind of mushrooms today .... B-)

I voted Hakuho, but i would place Roho as a solid second. once he matures a little more and polishes his skills a bit, he's gonna be scary. Oshu won't make yokozuna, but has the potential to be a good Takanohana I-type ozeki.

I did vote Hakuho, the kid has a knack for sumo. He just needs some fire in his belly (ulcar, perhaps (Bye, bye...) until he takes the final step. Kisenosato could perhaps make it to ozeki, but I don't see him as a future yokozuna. Hmm, it's tricky. The new generation is coming, definetly.

I agree with most of you. Just to make this discussion of a more fun, let me play with traditional mongolian wrestler's watch. (I learnt it from our elders)

A wrestler is truly great when following 4 characteristics are all met in an outstanding manner:

1. Body build

2. Talent

3. Will

4. Intelligence

There can be some ups and downs on these, and even surprises.

Then:

As everybody can tell, Asa has an outstanding athletism, profound will to rule, and amazing ability to calculate his bouts with deadly accuracy. In short, he is naturally talented to be a terminator.

Kaio has a frame which can be compared with only that of alpha male gorilla. However, we all know, what he lacks. (no hope)

Tochiazuma has utter will to win and succeed most of the time. But he doesn't know how to surprise his opponents, basically coming with the same weapon everytime. No talent. Everybody knows about his injury plagued body. (no hope)

Chiyotaikai has lesser body strenght then the fellow ozekis. Again, he has only one song in his disposal. No talent (no hope).

Hakuho's body build needs no attention. His will seems to be lagging behind his achievements, but will not take very long for him to figure out who he is. He is the only rikishi at present, besides Asashoryu, who can really learn from his mistakes and act differently each time around. Naturally talented. Considering his age, he is the only hope.

Kotomitsuki might have some will and talent, though it is not very evident. However quick rise of youngsters like Hakuho and Oshu may provoke him enough. His ability to control bouts intelligently isn't that good. Even with the will and brain, his body build is just not enough for ozeki. (no hope)

Kotooshu's body build doesn't need attention. He also showed very strong will to be the top gun. He is very gifted wrestler. It is just a matter of time that he learns all sumo tactics. He has a shot for Yokozuna in coming years, if Asa and Hakuho will allow it to happen. :-)

Miyabiama. Body is hopeless, no talent, no intelligence, no will, so no hope. (Blushing...)

Wakanasato's build is impressive except his buttock muscles. If you look at wrestlers at ozeki and above, their buttock muscles are very pronounced. That means Wakanasato has just not enough thrust. The biggest thing he lacks is will. So, no hope.

Roho has a build, talent and will. But it seems that his brain power isn't just enough. He reacts too slowly. A long career in Sanyaku is waiting for him. No ozeki.

Kokkai's weight has already crossed the treshold where he will no longer be able to move his body efficiently. More on that, he is not showing any sign that he is learning a thing. No talent and no hope.

Kisenosato has a real talent and intelligence. His thurst for fame will come just on time. The only worrying thing about him is that his weight might increase faster than his career, eventually making him just another Iwakiyama. Ozeki post is waiting for him, if he can keep his weight in control.

Ama has everything but body build. But it is just for now. His father, one of the famious Sekiwake in Mongolian sumo, has recently told reporters that Ama's body is developing exactly on schedule. Ama might be the biggest surprise rikishi, he might have a shot at ozekihood.

Asasekiyu will take where Miyabyama left.

Kyokushuzan has everything but will. He doesn't want to win a yousho. I mean it literally. (Eh?)

Kakizoe would be ozeki if we can magically increase his size by just 10%. He is an excellent wrestler. (Eating...)

I think I better stop here since there are no more hot rikishi around for the time being.

I think the above is quite an intelligent analysis of the leading rikishi in Makuuchi (Blushing...)

I mut confess, I haven't followed the buttock muscles of therikishi that closely (Eating...)

Edited by Sasanishiki

On 6/29/2005 at 15:13, genghis said:

I agree with most of you. Just to make this discussion of a more fun, let me play with traditional mongolian wrestler's watch. (I learnt it from our elders)

A wrestler is truly great when following 4 characteristics are all met in an outstanding manner:

1. Body build

2. Talent

3. Will

4. Intelligence

There can be some ups and downs on these, and even surprises.

Then:

As everybody can tell, Asa has an outstanding athletism, profound will to rule, and amazing ability to calculate his bouts with deadly accuracy. In short, he is naturally talented to be a terminator.

Kaio has a frame which can be compared with only that of alpha male gorilla. However, we all know, what he lacks. (no hope)

Tochiazuma has utter will to win and succeed most of the time. But he doesn't know how to surprise his opponents, basically coming with the same weapon everytime. No talent. Everybody knows about his injury plagued body. (no hope)

Chiyotaikai has lesser body strenght then the fellow ozekis. Again, he has only one song in his disposal. No talent (no hope).

Hakuho's body build needs no attention. His will seems to be lagging behind his achievements, but will not take very long for him to figure out who he is. He is the only rikishi at present, besides Asashoryu, who can really learn from his mistakes and act differently each time around. Naturally talented. Considering his age, he is the only hope.

Kotomitsuki might have some will and talent, though it is not very evident. However quick rise of youngsters like Hakuho and Oshu may provoke him enough. His ability to control bouts intelligently isn't that good. Even with the will and brain, his body build is just not enough for ozeki. (no hope)

Kotooshu's body build doesn't need attention. He also showed very strong will to be the top gun. He is very gifted wrestler. It is just a matter of time that he learns all sumo tactics. He has a shot for Yokozuna in coming years, if Asa and Hakuho will allow it to happen. :-)

Miyabiama. Body is hopeless, no talent, no intelligence, no will, so no hope. (Blushing...)

Wakanasato's build is impressive except his buttock muscles. If you look at wrestlers at ozeki and above, their buttock muscles are very pronounced. That means Wakanasato has just not enough thrust. The biggest thing he lacks is will. So, no hope.

Roho has a build, talent and will. But it seems that his brain power isn't just enough. He reacts too slowly. A long career in Sanyaku is waiting for him. No ozeki.

Kokkai's weight has already crossed the treshold where he will no longer be able to move his body efficiently. More on that, he is not showing any sign that he is learning a thing. No talent and no hope.

Kisenosato has a real talent and intelligence. His thurst for fame will come just on time. The only worrying thing about him is that his weight might increase faster than his career, eventually making him just another Iwakiyama. Ozeki post is waiting for him, if he can keep his weight in control.

Ama has everything but body build. But it is just for now. His father, one of the famious Sekiwake in Mongolian sumo, has recently told reporters that Ama's body is developing exactly on schedule. Ama might be the biggest surprise rikishi, he might have a shot at ozekihood.

Asasekiyu will take where Miyabyama left.

Kyokushuzan has everything but will. He doesn't want to win a yousho. I mean it literally. (Eh?)

Kakizoe would be ozeki if we can magically increase his size by just 10%. He is an excellent wrestler. (Eating...)

I think I better stop here since there are no more hot rikishi around for the time being.

most of your predictions were right its really funny how things turned out