Sign in to follow this  
Takemi

commuter passes (teikiken)

Does anybody know how much a commuter pass (teikiken) between Chigasaki and Ueno station will cost for 1 month?

Thanks

Edited by Takemi

Does anybody know how much a commuter pass (teikiken) between Chigasaki and  Ueno station will cost for 1 month?

There's probably somewhere on the JR East site that lets you know, but perhaps you can extrapolate from this:

My monthly teiki costs (my employer) 9,450 yen, for a trip that one way normally costs 320 yen

From Chigasaki to Ueno, one way, normal ticket, that's 1,110 yen. About 3 times my trip. So maybe your teiki would cost around 3 times 9,450 yen?

EDIT: I found it. Looks like your teiki will cost 28,820 (Chigasaki - Shinbashi - Ueno). My rough calculations weren't too far off the mark.

You can use Goo's Transit Navi to find out teiki costs. Just plug in your stations (in Japanese) and for each route shown, at the bottom are the teiki costs for 1, 3, and 6 months (look for 定期運賃). JR also has a calculation widget here but for some reason it wouldn't accept Chigasaki.

Edited by Higashimori

This is slightly off-topic but I need to do a little ranting........ My wife recently visited Japan and we bought a Rail pass good for three weeks. This cost us $562.00 dollars (I don't know the yen value). She could ride the bullet train but not the express bullet train with this pass. With the pass costing so much I would have thought it would cover the express bullet train.... That is what I get for thinking... ;-)

Does anybody know how much a commuter pass (teikiken) between Chigasaki and  Ueno station will cost for 1 month?

There's probably somewhere on the JR East site that lets you know, but perhaps you can extrapolate from this:

My monthly teiki costs (my employer) 9,450 yen, for a trip that one way normally costs 320 yen

From Chigasaki to Ueno, one way, normal ticket, that's 1,110 yen. About 3 times my trip. So maybe your teiki would cost around 3 times 9,450 yen?

EDIT: I found it. Looks like your teiki will cost 28,820 (Chigasaki - Shinbashi - Ueno). My rough calculations weren't too far off the mark.

You can use Goo's Transit Navi to find out teiki costs. Just plug in your stations (in Japanese) and for each route shown, at the bottom are the teiki costs for 1, 3, and 6 months (look for 定期運賃). JR also has a calculation widget here but for some reason it wouldn't accept Chigasaki.

Thanks a lot!

So I think I will go with it , It

I have used the JR Rail pass that Whitney is talking about several times. Very convenient. Yes, it's true that you can't ride the Nozomi, but the Hikari Rail Star is as good a service, only you have to change in Osaka if travelling from Tokyo to Hakata. There are quite a lot of Nozomi and only a few Hikari, and you need to stop at a few more stations with the latter. Still a small inconvenience for what can really be a huge money saver if you use it extensively. I think the three week pass costs 57700 yen from memory.

The JR pass is a steal of a deal. There are other express trains besides the shinkansen that accept these passes (eg. Nagoya to Takayama or Nagano). As well as all JR buses and ferries. Even with the shinkansen, there are the kodama and hikari to be used. Nozomi are only convenient for long distance travel, say Tokyo to Okayama/Hiroshima or longer. Short and medium distance trips will hardly take longer by hikari super express (i.e. +15 min. Tokyo to Osaka)...

Only available to tourists and must be purchased outside of Japan. A fantastic deal if will plan to do even moderate train/ferry/bus travel on vacation in Japan. Use it!

Depeding on where you want to change your station and which line you will take, there are some variations but I will pick the quickest and cheapest for you.

On this one you will take JR Tokaido Honsen line that runs between Tokyo and Atami Stations. From Chigasaki, you will get off at Shinbashi Station and hop onto JR Keihin Tohoku/Negishi Sen line to Ueno Station. From Chigasaki to Shinbashi will be 52 minutes ride. From the Shinbashi Station on the Tohoku/Negishi Sen line to Ueno will take another 11 mintues for a total of one hour 3 minutes ride - you need to account for four minutes at Shinbashi Station so it will be an hour and 7 minute travel.

One way ticket will cost you 1100 Yen and one month pass will set you back 28,820 Yen.

Depeding on where you want to change your station and which line you will take, there are some variations but I will pick the quickest and cheapest for you.

On this one you will take JR Tokaido Honsen line that runs between Tokyo and Atami Stations. From Chigasaki, you will get off at Shinbashi Station and hop onto JR Keihin Tohoku/Negishi Sen line to Ueno Station. From Chigasaki to Shinbashi will be 52 minutes ride. From the Shinbashi Station on the Tohoku/Negishi Sen line to Ueno will take another 11 mintues for a total of one hour 3 minutes ride - you need to account for four minutes at Shinbashi Station so it will be an hour and 7 minute travel.

One way ticket will cost you 1100 Yen and one month pass will set you back 28,820 Yen.

Thanks Jonosuke, good price and reasonable travelling time.