Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Futagoyama Oyakata

[Taka didn't cry on his danpatsu shiki.

But I do believe he was quite close to it at some point. Look at the eyes in this picture I found at SumoSketch:

Here is a pic from the furneral service,helad today in the Kokugikan. About, 800 people attended the event. This time, Takanohana oyakata was the chief mourner and the eldest son Masaru Hanada had to step back.

20050613-02518438-jijp-soci-view-001.jpg

At the end of the funeral, Masaru Hanada got into a car without speaking to any journalist. Indeed, in the morning, the former yokozuna Wakanohana III send a fax sheet to all the japanese press agencies, in which he said the folowing statement :

Masaru Hanada : "[About his father, Futagoyama oyakata] The face of my father is still floating in my mind. [About the big fuss between his younger brother and him] I am deeply sorry about this, especially regarding the fans. I should have made a stand to protect the family and keep everything within the family, but all of this happened because of my lack of virtue. From now on, I won't contribute any more to this fuss. This is not what I wanted, and I am sure my father does not want it too. He won't have any comment from my side anymore."

This is not the first time Masaru held everything back to reach a nice brotherhood later on. He succeeded once, and I hope he will make this time again.

Asked about Masaru's stand, the former yokozuna Wakanohana I said : "I am relieved."

Greetings from Paris,

Chienoshima

Edited by Chienoshima

At the Memorial Service held for Futagoyama Oyakata in the Kokugikan on June 13, Masaru Hanada lighted the incense right after the chief mourner Takanohana oyakata and left without saying anything or making any overt gesture towards his brother. The ceremony was attended by 4800 people.

Rather than doing interviews with the media, Masaru has sent a fax to them saying, "This matter is strictly a private affair within the Hanada family and I'd like to refrain from making any further comment regarding this issue."

"As I should be in the position to guard the Hanada family legacy, I feel deeply reponsible for the current uproars," Masaru added.

Meanwhile as if to falling further into the dark side, Takanohana oyakata did strike back and attack his older brother by appearing on a live news program on Nihon TV network only three hours after the Kyokai Memorial Service ended.

"There is only one truth. That's not doing it by a fax, I want him to come out right here on live TV and respond to me with his own words," Takanohana oyakata shot back.

"I am taking the ashes back to my home. When I think of the shisho, I want to stay as close to him as possible and as well we also have his grandson," the oyakata stated.

Before the ceremony, Takanohana oyakata picked up the ashes from his brother's house in less than two minutes without responding to his brother's greerting.

Initially he promised to his brother that he would bring back the ashes once the service was over but when he had it in his possession, he felt there was no need to hand it back to his brother or anyone else.

Normally the ashes will be kept by the relatives until the burial ceremony which takes place 49 days after the death. As the 49th day will be close to the start of Nagoya Basho, the oyakata is planning to have one on July 3 and until then he is expected to keep it at his house.

"It was such a magnificent service we had today," Takanohana oyakata commented proudly with a chilling smile.

-------

"Revenge is a dish best served cold."

- a space warrior from the bygone days.

Edited by Jonosuke

Takanohana's behavior and attitude is really disgusting. Some example of dignity and honor he is turning out to be. Can't he even pretend to be a decent and civilized human being out of respect for his family, and their grief? Oh, that's right...

Takanohana cares only for the kind respect that is so righteously his entitlement, not the kind of "simple" respect for other people that he is supposedly the embodiment of.

Takanohana's behavior and attitude is really disgusting.  Some example of dignity and honor he is turning out to be.  Can't he even pretend to be a decent and civilized human being out of respect for his family, and their grief?  Oh, that's right...

Takanohana cares only for the kind respect that is so righteously his entitlement, not the kind of "simple" respect for other people that he is supposedly the embodiment of.

brilliantly said. i couldnt have said it any better myself. Taka needs to come back to earth from whatever planet he thinks he is ruleing from

Was Takanohana always this much of an ass? (Censored)

I especially like his complaining on live TV about his brother appearing on live TV. And now he's basically stolen his father's remains.

I can't help but wonder what the men running the NSK think about their golden boy's behavior. He's certainly not being a very good role model, except for the role of prima donna out of control. Can they suspend him for his actions ("conduct detrimental to sumo"?)

I find myself really hoping the NSK knows something he doesn't, and that thing is that Takanohana isn't going to end up with his father's certificates after all...

cut him some slack.

he acting like an ass but for fecks sake his father has just died. who knows how any of would react in that situation. add to that his idolisation of his father and the subsequent finding out that the idol had feet of clay. that would make for one very confused and mixed up 32 year old.

plus everything is being done under the intense spotlight that is the japanese media. its not surprising he is acting weird. it'd be stranger if he was cating normally.

two of my closest friends lost their fathers in the last few years and the shock that it caused them had profound and lasting effects on both.

Well I'm not cutting him any slack. I'm sorry his father died, but from all accounts he's been acting "weird" for years - remember the reports from back when he was still an active rikishi that people in his own family, his father's stable, and the sumo world in general were concerned that he'd "fallen under the spell" of various gurus (for lack of a better term). As for his father's "feet of clay," that came out ages ago, not just since he died.

I think that now his father's not around to rein him in, we're seeing the real Takanohana - the egomanical prima donna running amok, and it's definitely not pretty.

Masaru (Wakanohana III) is holding up much better under the same media glare.

I am deeply disturbed by the way Takanahana acts on this occasion, though I accept rivalry between the brothers. Their father's funeral is something very special and Takanahana should follow the culture and respect his older brother. Having this kind of rift within 49 days is terrible thing in Asian cultures. Takanaha is looking more like Anakin Skywalker is becoming the Darth Vader.

Well, partly it's the curse of fame, partly the difference in brothers' mindsets... But Taka should really learn not to "wash the dirty laundry in public". He should remember that stubborn silence with which he met interviewers back when he was coming back from injury, and practice it. I would cut him a lot of slack if he'd just keep quiet as both Wakas and his mother seem to do.

The one man I am really, really sorry for is old Wakanohana... To see his baby brother (by 20 years, or more? he was more like a son to him...) die before him must have been a terrible blow, and Takanohana's behaviour cannot be a comfort to him, either. I hope Masaru is thoughtful enough to remember his old uncle and shikona-namesake... (Depressed...)

Well, partly it's the curse of fame, partly the difference in brothers' mindsets... But Taka should really learn not to "wash the dirty laundry in public". He should remember that stubborn silence with which he met interviewers back when he was coming back from injury, and practice it. I would cut him a lot of slack if he'd just keep quiet as both Wakas and his mother seem to do.

That's what I keep thinking whenever I read the latest posts about this.

He seems to be completely unaware of the damage he is doing to himself and his reputation just from his inability to keep his mouth shut.

At this year's Nagoya basho, in the Aichi-ken Taikukan, there is a really nice b&w photo exhibition of the late Futagoyama oyakata's sumo career. It is on the second floor, east side. Worth checking out if you manage to attend...