Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Futagoyama Oyakata

Since I am really a beginner in this world, I did not have the oportunity to see myself Oyakata Futagoyama as the great rikishi he was.

However, I want to join all the world wide Sumo community to say I am very sorry. I am sure his memory will last for ages.

Thanks.

im trying to decide in these pictures if Taka is being strong or if he is deprived of emotion or if the death isnt bothering him as much as it is Masaru

Unrelated: Musashimaru is looking huge in that suit!

im trying to decide in these pictures if Taka is being strong or if he is deprived of emotion or if the death isnt bothering him as much as it is Masaru

I don't think you can decide that just from looking at the pictures. You can't always see on the outside what a person is feeling on the inside. People who don't cry, are not necessarily feeling less grief than people who do.....

i agree, thats why i threw out there the possability of him just being strong and not looking upset B-)

but i mean by comparison to Masaru whom is breaking down in nearly all his pictures while Taka isnt.

The funeral service for former Ozeki Takanohana, Futagoyama oyakata was held at the Aoyama Funeral Parlor located in Tokyo's Minato-ward on June 2. Over 1200 people incluidng Rijicho Kitanoumi and Taiho oyakata attended the service.

Takanohana oyakata carried the photo of Futagoyama oyakata while his older brother Masaru Hanada eulogized.

"My father was diagnosed with a cancer but he never run away, never gave in. kept fighting. Seeing him then I felt the image of Ozeki Takanohana on the dohyo. We shall etch in our heart forever of our father who was a father so kind and a shisho so strict, and we will be endeavouring to do our best for the rest of our life ."

Matsugane Oyakata (former Ozeki Wakashimazu)

--------------------------------------------------------

"He was someone I have aspired to all my life. I will miss him so much knowing I won't be able to see him any more."

Oshima Oyakata (former Ozeki Asahikuni)

---------------------------------------------

"He has made a tremendous contribution and left us a great legacy developing two yokozunas. I will miss him a lot."

The Kyokai's Memorial Service will be held at the Ryogoku Kokugikan on June 13.

Although 25 percent of oral cancers occur without any known risk factors, the majority of cancers of the mouth are due to excessive use of tobacco and alcohol. I have no idea if Takanohana used these substances excessively or even if he used them at all.

Ozeki Takanohana and later Futagoyama oyakata was a heavy smoker. And the cancer he had developed was between his tongue and gum and as you suggest, it may have been pretty difficult part to treat but by the time he was diagnosed with it, it was too late. He may have known something was wrong but he did not get it checked until he started vomiting blood. It was such a rare cancer that he probably never suspected it.

The oyakata did briefly improved with a chemo but it was so brief. In the latter stage he appeared to have suffered as much from the treatment as he could no longer talk due to the pain. The last several months he was fed from his throat and was mostly

unconscious.

We all know about early diagnosis is such a crucial thing and I hope everyone will take it to their heart to do themselves a favor by having a regular checkup. I lost my mother by colon cancer and for me to do a regular colonoscopy every five years is not an option but a necessity for my mother's sake. The worst part of this is actually taking laxatives the night before rather than the procedure itself.

It is really sad to look at the pictures of Masura breaking down, really emotional to look at.

I am sure that Taka is sad, and is just trying to stay stong.

Although 25 percent of oral cancers occur without any known risk factors, the majority of cancers of the mouth are due to excessive use of tobacco and alcohol. I have no idea if Takanohana used these substances excessively or even if he used them at all.

Ozeki Takanohana and later Futagoyama oyakata was a heavy smoker.

So much so, that one of the articles he was "buried' with (aside from his favorite suit) was his favorite pack of cigarettes, Mild Seven.

Edited by Kintamayama

It is really sad to look at the pictures of Masura breaking down, really emotional to look at.

I am sure that Taka is sad, and is just trying to stay stong.

I think that one being still within sumo and the other being a civilian might have something to do with this as well. Taka s forcing him self to persevere while asaru can let it out more openly with no loss of face.

a civilian is a non-military person isn't he / she? Always interested me this but is such usage appropriate for sumo?

Briefly though - to paraphrase each and every Japanese I have spoken to on this subject / loss this week - perhaps 25-30 in all - Taka is 'mukatsuku' for behaving as he has / is. O-ni-chan - now he da man they say - poise and manners, grace and giving.

Briefly though - to paraphrase each and every Japanese I have spoken to on this subject / loss this week - perhaps 25-30 in all - Taka is 'mukatsuku' for behaving as he has / is. O-ni-chan - now he da man they say - poise and manners, grace and giving.

I consider my mother-in-law to be a typical sumo loving senior lady in Japan and when I spoke to her last night, she basically said the same thing. It's their custom that the oldest son always assumes the role of chief mourner, unless there is a good reason not to be like he cannot make it or declines. She said she felt rather unplesant hearing Takanohana repeated his belief that he should be the one and he only let his brother do it because he wanted to do it so much.

I believe this is where their mother Noriko Fujita was alluding to when she pointed out that Takanohana oyakata learns more about the world (meaing social customs and etiquettes in Japan). But one needs to understand Koji Hanada joined Ozumo at the age of 15 years old and it has been the only single life he has led up to now. The world he knows is the only one, Ozumo World.

Ozeki Takanohana and later Futagoyama oyakata was a heavy smoker.

So much so, that one of the articles he was "buried' with (aside from his favorite suit) was his favorite pack of cigarettes, Mild Seven.

I find the last statement to be incredibly sad. I read it several times and I still can't believe it. Futagoyama oyakata went to his grave with one of his prized possessions being the thing that almost certainly killed him. It's almost like someone committing suicide by blowing his brains out and being buried with the gun he used. In times of great sorrow, people often do things based primarily on emotion, so I can understand the reason for it even though it makes no sense to me. Mild Seven? A very pleasant name for what turned out to be a deadly weapon.

I find the last statement  to be incredibly sad. I read it several times and I still can't believe it. Futagoyama oyakata went to his grave with one of his prized possessions being the thing that almost certainly killed him. It's almost like someone committing suicide by blowing his brains out and being buried with the gun he used. In times of great sorrow, people often do things based primarily on emotion, so I can understand the reason for it even though it makes no sense to me. Mild Seven? A very pleasant name for what turned out to be a deadly weapon.

while i understand your reason for being upset at this, you must know that certain addictions (both legal and illegal) that people have, they have no quoms or regrets about them. they know it can kill them and they know it will kill them but they just dont care. if you were to ask someone like this on their death bed would they rather lived a life without smokeing or without drinking or whatever; insted of be where they are now, most would say they wouldnt change a thing. i know people like this, and if it is true Futogoyama was buried with a pack of smokes then he probably would have given the same answer. to some people it is part of living.

Edited by _the_mind_

[Annoying hall monitor]

Folks, please remember to trim your quotes to appropriate size...there really is no good reason to carry 3 or 4 levels worth of quotation around with your posts.

[/Annoying hall monitor]

while i understand your reason for being upset at this, you must know that certain addictions (both legal and illegal) that people have, they have no quoms or regrets about them.

I agree with this. My Grandpa once told my Grandma he would smoke and drink himself to death and he did just that. He died from cancer. (Nodding yes...)

That picture (Waka's breakdown beside Taka's painful dignity) has everything...allot of art inside of that... (Nodding yes...) It made me think about how happy I am with my parents and grandparents- all of them more or less ok. I am very thankful for that.

Edited by ilovesumo

Now I read a report that Takanohana oyakata is inviiting his older brother for the Kyokai Funeral to be held on June 13 so I assume he has settled down a bit as he is pretty much occupied in orgranizing the Kyokai Funeral as he said he wanted to make it as a memorable one for his father.

He also indicated he has been to Tenkeiji Temple in Tokyo's Sugimai-ward to see the grave site his father picked for himself this January. They will have a separate burial ceremony as in Japan the body is usually cremated and after a period (like 49 days later) they bury the ash.

Takanohana was reportedly very upset after the funeral the other day that his brother took the photo and ash with him rather than leaving them at the heya where his father spent most of his time and had his home. He made a comment saying that how he could be in a friendly term with "him" when he did something like this and he was also not pleased that he did not know where the grave would be while Masaru Hanada said he told just about it to everyone (not sure that included his younger brother).

I'd imagine though this burial plot is a "family" one and will take over by Masaru rather than by Takanohana oyakata (remember the upkeeps will have to be assumed by a family member, usually the eldest son as he will normally inherit it.) Masaru said he was told by his father to take care of it for him. Incidentally this is the same temple where Futagoyama oyakata's brother-in-law former Araiso oyakata (former Sekiwake Daigo) selected to be his final resting place.

This is the perfect illustration of difference between the brothers... Why Taka was one of the greatest yokozuna, and Waka one of most likeable rikishi.

Taka didn't cry on his danpatsu shiki. Not even when his son snipped his hair, nor when his father cut his mage. Most other rikishi break down in tears at such moments...