Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Futagoyama Oyakata

Very sad news, though not unexpected. I wish the family, the heya and all its former associates all the best in this difficult time.

The funeral will take place on June 2nd, at Aoyama Cemetary, right behind my old house. A press conference was held at Takanohana beya with the two sons. " We wanted to take a trip, just father and son, and never got around to it..", lamented Takanohana.

Prss conference:

20050531-00000107-kyodo-spo-thum-000.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Does someone know how many sekitori were raised by Fujishima / Futagoyama oyakata ? I guess the first one was Takatoriki, but I am not sure.
The following rikishi became Sekitori with him as shishō:

1987.07 Akinoshima

1987.09 Takanohama

1989.05 Takatoriki

1989.11 Takahanada

1990.03 Wakahanada

1991.03 Takanonami

1995.03 Gokenzan

and almost-Sekitori Goto who topped at Ms1e in 2002.01.

Thanks a lot, this will help.

Regards,

Thierry

Futagoyama's death leaves 2 sons stunned

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 17:01 JST

TOKYO

Well, I've had not so few patients with cancer. And I really do not know how to put this the right way, but even though his sons feel the loss today (as do I) the final sleep is sometimes the best, and only, painkiller there is. Cancer is a horrible disease, and he put up a long and hard fight. He is now relieved of pain.

"I am taught through sumo living each and every single day is hard."

- A recruit speaking at Takanohana Beya.

===================================

The Futagoyama oyakata funeral will be held at Aoyama Sogisho Funeral House (2-33-20 Minami Aoyama Minato ward Tokyo) from 11 AM on June 2.

The vigil will be held from 6 PM on June 1 at the same location.

The Kyokai sponsored funeral will be held at the Kokugikan on June 13 1 PM. The last Kyokai Funeral Ceremony was held nine years ago for former Yokozuna Kashiwado.

The head of the Kyokai Funeral will be Kitanoumi oyakata assisted by Nishonoseki Ichimon's Magaki oyakata (former Yokozuna Wakanohana II) and Oshiogawa

oyakata. General public is invited to sign the books at the Kokugikan. This will be the 23rd Kyokai sponsored funeral.

The Kyokai's Operations Director position occupied by the late Futagoyama oyakata will now be assumed by Kitanoumi oyakata.

Takanohana Oyakata

-------------------------

(At a press conference at Takanohana Beya)

- Your memory.

"At the time I joined the heya, I saw my old man cried for the first time, I shed my tears too. I grew up looking up my old man's back. I learned misery by seeing him lose. I really admired him seeing him compete on the dohyo. I decided to join Ozumo when I turned 15 years old."

- You had more than a few press conferences here at the heya.

"The day after the 1994 Kyushu Basho,I received the messengers for yokozuna promotion and greeted them here. He scolded me then and told me to straighten up

my back when I spoke. He was a very strict man.

- His last words to you

"At his bedside, I told him all Oyakatas and Deshis were concerned about him. I also told him that I was taking good care of the heya so no need to worry about it. I saw his tears flowing and then he scribbled on a memo and handed it to me, 'Do your best for Takanohana Beya'. Those were his last words to me."

(Remembering the time of his joining his father's heya and was told from that moment on, they were no longer a father and son. Takanohana oyakata then thanked his father for taking care of him for the last 15 years and they cried together.)

"When I joined this world at the age of 15 years old, he told me never to shed any more tears again until his death. I believe personally I was able to keep that

promise. After joining the heya, our relationship became strictly that of Shisho and Deshi and I was taught the hard life as competitors. However I believe it must have been tough for him too not being able to face us as the father. While he was still alive, I wanted to go travelling together and relax a little as a father and son but we could not even do it."

(Asked about his feelings)

"It's taking some time to accept his death. I grew up admiring him competing on the dohyo. I really cannot put them in words now. I feel like should it be this quick.."

"I was late by about 10 minutes. I was sorry that I could not have been there but doctors told me he went very peacefully without suffering."

"My father taught me to always look in their eyes when you were talking to someone and never ever try to tell them lies. I will be trying to follow what I learned from him and do my best to manage the heya my father built and develop promising rikishis."

Masaru Hanada

------------------

(At a press conference at Takanohana Beya)

- Your thought now

"I felt a heartache seeing the shisho getting weaker. It must have been really hard battling with the illness. In the last six months, I was finally able to call him 'Old Man' for the first time in my life. By falling to an illness like this, my father talked to

us not as the shisho and deshi but as sons and I felt we were back in our childhood days. I felt we had a great time together."

- His last word.

"The last spoken words were three months ago. "Masaru, I can't do it anymore. I can't." At the end I was always trying to approach him with smiles."

-When you left the Kyokai.

"He scolded me harshly. I am sure he wanted me to take over. But as I have become a yokozuna, and right now the most I can do to honor him is to do my best with

the work I am doing. (As for sumo) I believe Takanohana oyakata can capably fulfill my father's dream."

"I believe he kept his conviction of never giving in, even at the dohyo edge. While he was still with us, I should have let him tell me more about his stories.."

The oyakata's brother Kanji Hanada (former Yokozuna Wakanohana I) also came to the the heya to pay the final respect but he appeared to have been overcome by

emotion and did not talk to reporters numbering close to a hundred surrounding the heya building.

The body of Futagoyama oyakata was brought back to Takanohana Beya located in Tokyo's Nakano area around 12:30 AM on May 31 from the Juntendo Hospital located

in Tokyo's Bunkyo ward. His sons accompanied the oyakata's body in the same car. His casket was carried into the building by his sons Masaru, Takanohana oyakata and former Ozeki Wakashimazu (Matsugane oyakata).

"There used to ba a lot of excitement around here with all those Yusho parades but these days we even hardly see any young recruits walking around. I miss the

former glory days," said Miwako Okada who owns a beauty salon near the heya.

According to Otowayama oyakata (former Ozeki Takanonami), just prior to leaving the hospital, both his sons Masaru Hanada (former Yokozuna Wakanohana

III) and Takanohana oyakata stayed by themselves at the hospital mortuary to be with Futagoyama oyakata. Otowayama oyakata said they were almost hugging their

late father.

Otowayama oyakata

------------------------

"I rushed to the hospital but I didn't make it on time. His body was still warm and he was as if still sleeping. At the Danpatsu Ceremony (this January), he said to me gently, 'Gokurosan' (thank you for your hard work). That is the best memory of him."

"I have been worrying about his health since he became ill. I feel so much regret. I have mixed feelings but right now I just want to think about sending off the oyakata with a good feeling. I believe I was only able to stay in the sumo world because the oyakata was there."

Rijicho Kitanoumi oyakata

------------------------------

(After visiting Takanohana Beya to pay his respect)

"I felt he was sleeping peacefully."

(On Takanohana oyakata)

"He looked very calm. He appeared to mentally collected himself well."

(On the Kyokai's schedulinng of the funeral)

"There are heya's commitments as well as the Kyokai's. We may not be able to respond right away but I beleive we need to hold a Directors meeting as soon as

possible."

Yokozuna Asashoryu

----------------------

(In Mongolia)

"I am deeply sorry to hear the news. As I am involved in a volunteer event here in Mongolia and I cannot go back to Japan right way, I feel badly about it. I have been

always concerned about his health. I'd like to express my sincere condolences."

-------------------

Politician eulogy:

"I am deeply sorry. I used to cheer for him during his active days seeing him with small physique beating a bigger opponent, I found him as a good rikishi to watch. As well he developed his own children to become great rikishis and yokozuna. In this age, 55 years old is just too young."

- Prime Minister Koizumi

"He held the record of 50 bashos as Ozeki, the most in sumo history. He was the father of Wakanohana and Takanohana brothers and contributed to the advancement

of Ozumo. He left us with such young age of 55 years old. I'd like to express my sincere condolences."

- the Cabinet Secretary Hosoda during a regular government press conference.

"I am experiencing a heartache. He competed with a small body and moved us greatly. He was really such a huge presence."

- Minister of Education/Science Nakayama

"I was his fan. Even though he was small, seeing him win by throwing and pushing off a much bigger man, I used to applaude him wholeheartedly. He certainly gave me a great feeling. When I was small, I used to compete too and was a kids yokozuna with as shikona of 'Takenohana'. I really feel a sense of loss. It's as if a whole generation gone by. Developing his two sons to become a yokozuna showed he was such an extraordinary man."

- Liberal Democrats Party Chairman Takebe.

"He will be missed, passing away with such young age of 55 years old. It is a deep loss. Developing his two sons to become yokozuna and helped advancing the sumo

culture, this death came suddenly while he was still expected to contribute further. I'd like to express my sincere condolences."

- Democratic Party Head Okada

Cancer is a horrible disease, and he put up a long and hard fight. He is now relieved of pain.

And the family can finally get some rest as well. I had a cousin who's husband had brain cancer. She almost died taking care of her husband. They gave her husband 3 months to live and he lived for almost a year. So she worried about him and took care of him for the entire year. She was finally able to rest after he passed away. After taking care of her husband, she could finally take care of herself.

It may have not been so obvious from my previous post on Masaru Hanada and Takanohana oyakata press conferences but they did not face the reporters together. The interview was held separately, each conducting his own.

After their father passed away at the hospital on May 30, according to various sources, there were heated exchanges took place between former Wakanohana III, Masaru Hanada and Takanohana oyakata on who should become the chief mourner and host of their father's funeral.

When asked about the chief mourner during the press conference, Takanohana oyakata was circumspect and described it it this way:

"Mr. Masaru, the eldest, indicated that he would want to do it at any cost, while the consensus at the heya being I should be the one to perform the role."

This statement underscores there was definitely a disagreement and Takanohana was still not happy about the outcome when he referred to his own brother using a Mr. as if referring to a third party person, not his own brother.

At the hospital, each insisted that he should be the one to do it and even when former Futagoyama Oyakata Yokozuna Wakanohana I (older brother of Futagoyama oyakata) tried desparately to intervene, Takanohana oyakata became so emotional that it took hours to settle them down.

On the morning of May 31, Takanohana oyakata finally relented and they were able to maintain a civil atmosphere during the press conferences but they never appeared together and responded to reporters' questions separately.

"As the oldest son, I will be performing the duty. I have been asked by my father 'to take care of everything'," Masaru Hanada commented.

One oyakata was so exasperated watching them at the press conferences and finally said, "Can't they just stop this nonsense and cancel this whole thing? I can't take it any longer."

Those closest to the family are deeply concerned about the chasm developing between the two brothers is widening and worry that their relationship may have been irreparably damaged.

Edited by Jonosuke

At the hospital, each insisted that he should be the one to do it and even when former Futagoyama Oyakata Yokozuna Wakanohana I (older brother of Futagoyama oyakata) tried desparately to intervene, Takanohana oyakata became so emotional that it took hours to settle them down.

One oyakata was so exasperated watching them at the press conferences and finally said, "Can't they just stop this nonsense and cancel this whole thing? I can't take it any longer." 

Those closest to the family are deeply concerned about the chasm developing between the two brothers is widening and worry that their relationship may have been  irreparably damaged.

I have a friend who's wife works as a funeral director. I am amazed at some of the stories that he has told me about the things that she has witnessed at the funeral home. She has actually had to break up fights in the funeral home(!) and tell them to go outside if they want to fight. It is bad enough that Masaru Hanada and Takanohana have lost their father, but can't these two guys settle their differences in private? I know this is a lot deeper and more complicated than it seems on the surface but they need to settle this nonsense once and for all and come together as brothers. (Bye, bye...)

I used to think he could live lot longer than other fatter wrestlers back then... skinny(compared to the rest), looked fit, looked good on cardio etc..

He was like Ama being Ozeki; straight offense sumo & he very often had crises after crises before won the bout. His sumo was like watching a movie with a main "good guy" charactor in the pinch many times before a triumph... Very sorry for the news.

What a sad news! I can't believe it... (Depressed...) He was so young!

Seems the press just can't leave the Hanada bros. be...

Takanohana, Wakanohana clash over roles at father's funeral

A rift appears to have developed between brothers Masaru and Koji Hanada, better known in their sumo wrestling days as Wakanohana and Takanohana, over who will represent the family at the funeral of their father, famed sumo stablemaster Futagoyama.

Mainichi Daily News

Takanohana appears at a news conference in Tokyo on Tuesday without his brother, the day after the death of their father Futagoyama.

Sources close to the brothers said that in the hospital ward after Futagoyama passed away on Monday, the two brothers began arguing over the position of chief mourner, with each saying, "I'll do it."

When their uncle, Katsuji Hanada, 77, the founder of the Futagoyama Stable, was unable to bear the argument any longer, he stepped in, but their emotions did not die down and it was reportedly difficult to bring the situation under control.

The argument was settled on Tuesday morning when Takanohana stood down, but the brothers held separate news conferences.

Wakanohana maintained that he would handle the head role at the funeral.

"I will carry it out as the eldest son," he said. "My father had told me, 'I'm leaving everything for you to handle.'"

At a news conference on Tuesday, Takanohana said, "My elder brother Masaru insisted that he should be the chief mourner," referring to his brother in terms usually reserved for strangers. But Takanohana added, "It was the consensus of the stable that I would do it."

One stablemaster who saw the news conferences said the interviews should be stopped. Formerly the brothers had been viewed as part of the "ideal family," acting harmoniously even after they entered the sumo world. But differences that appear to have continued since the end of their sumo careers are leaving those around them perplexed.

Futagoyama passed the reigns of control over the Futagoyama Stable to Takanohana in 2004. Takanohana changed the name of the stable to the Takanohana Stable. (Mainichi Shimbun, Japan, June 1, 2005)

Rest in peace old friend. :'-(

Cancer is a terrible thing indeed (Nodding yes...)

My girlfriend is presently being treated for breast cancer,she was lucky( (In a state of confusion...) ) they caught it in the early stages and is being treated through medication but it sure scared me when I found out. (Nodding yes...)

God bless his soul.

Shiorikuma mentioned his "presence". I have never had the luck to meet the Prince of Sumo, but even just on pictures he could be the center -- despite he stood at the side.

Kishinoyama mentioned that the Hanada clan may come to rest now. I am afraid they will not. With Futagoyama gone, I see even more unpretty ramblings coming up... His brother, Waka-I, may not be able to reconcile the former deshi with each other. Maybe Otowayama can take the place of the conciliator. Yet, I can't see Takanohana, Wakanohana-III (and Sendagawa) agreeing on anything but that they disagree.

Yet, I can't see Takanohana, Wakanohana-III (and Sendagawa) agreeing on anything but that they disagree.

I don't see why this should be a long-term problem. They've been brought together by necessity right now, but soon they will be going their own ways again and spend as little time talking to each other as possible, which I'm sure suits all three of them just fine. (And none of us really would have the right to demand that they should reconcile; that's entirely their private business.)

The ones I feel sorry for are those caught in the middle of the whole mess, like Waka 2 and Otowayama.

The ones I feel sorry for are those caught in the middle of the whole mess, like Waka 2 and Otowayama.

Aside from being in the same Ichimon, Magaki is not really involved with Takanohana Oyakata and the clan in any direct way so he should not be as affected but you are right about Takanonami.

I thought he has shown incredible patience in keeping quiet and not taking any side in all the disputes that went in the last couple of years. I imagine it must have not been easy but he felt he was deeply indebted to Futagoyama oyakata.

He is still young enough and he has cultivated many good supporters throughout his active career being a good soldier for the heya as well as being personable so in time I won't be least bit surprised to see him go his own way. Personally I think he is well capable to take over certain deadbeat heya in the Ichimon right now.

New scandal may be brewing. There definitely will be a big fight over the inheritance, as Futagoyama Oyakata was valued at 500 million yen (approx. 4.6 million US) with his owning two valuable kabu-Futagoyama and Yamahibiki and all.

And now, for the scandal. The Yukan Fuji says there is a woman who has been taking care of Futagoyama since he fell ill. She was introduced to Futagoyama by Musashigawa Oyakata. Matsugane Oyakata says they would definitely have been married if his health hadn't deteriorated so quickly. The story is that Futagoyama sold the Fujishima name to Musashigawa's Musouyama (as a token of gratitude for the introduction??), and that the entire amount (all 150 million yen) was handed over to this woman. It is also being said she was the only one with Futagoyama when he passed away. Takanohana allegedly said ," Well, it seemed they love each other, and I viewed it favorably, since he was my father. But then, she started talking to the nurses and quoting relatives and complaining.."

I would advise to take all this with a lot of salt, since this is the Yuukan Fuji, notorious for its hounding of the Hanada family.

Aside from being in the same Ichimon, Magaki is not really involved with Takanohana Oyakata and the clan in any direct way so he should not be as affected but you are right about Takanonami.

My mistake, I was thinking of Taka/Waka's uncle (Waka 1), not Magaki Oyakata.

Personally I think he is well capable to
Edited by Asashosakari

Over 1200 people attended the wake for Futagoyama oyakata held at the Aoyama Funeral Parlor in Tokyo's Minato-ward on June 1. The oyakata passed away on May 30 at the age of 55 years old.

Among those attended were the chairman of Nihon Sumo Kyokai. Kitanoumi oyakata, the Governor of Metropolitan Tokyo Shintaro Ishihara and the oyakata's former wife Noriko Fujita.

"The times of joy and sadness, so many things flashed through my mind. But the oyakata and I raised our two sons to have them ascend to the Yokozuna rank. That is our best memory. When they became Yokozuna, we were called the best parents in the world but we experienced the worst despair in the world too," Ms Fujita said. "There were occasions I wanted to visit him at the hospital but I felt I did not want to inconvenience anyone so I excused myself considering my position now. Unlike his face I've seen before on TV looking rather tired, today his face looked tranquil. I thanked him for our 31 years."

"When we left Takanohana Beya this morning, I thought the old man would never come back again here.... I appreciate so many people who enjoyed his sumo came

for him today," Masaru Hanada, former Wakanohana III, his oldest son said.

His younger brother, Takanohana oyakata left without speaking to reporters.

-----

While Noriko Fujita expressed her gratitude to her older son Masaru for extending the invitation to attend the ceremony and to be with the Hanada family again, she had harsher words for her second son, Takanohana oyakata.

"I know it's just like Koji (Takanohana oyakata) never wavering from his conviction, but I believe he really lacks common sense. He is marching straight on the high road and is losing the sight of his surroundings. He needs to learn more about the world. I want him to acquire more polish. I am fervently hoping the two brothers can regain what they used to have before and able to believe in each other again."

Edited by Jonosuke

I was a dentist and to me, a very distressing factor in Takanohana's passing was the fact that his death could very possibly have been prevented. Although 25 percent of oral cancers occur without any known risk factors, the majority of cancers of the mouth are due to excessive use of tobacco and alcohol. I have no idea if Takanohana used these substances excessively or even if he used them at all. I do know that many rikishi smoke and drink, so that could be a possibility.

But even if that was the case, routine oral examination could have detected the cancer in an early stage. From what I understand, his cancer was in the area toward the rear of the tongue on the side and may have included the floor of the mouth. I may not be exactly correct about the site, but it seemed to be in an area that was difficult to reach. The sad part is that such an area can be so isolated that without any symptoms, the patient probably won't even know that there is anything abnormal going on and the lesion will continue to grow and spread. The only way to detect any problems early is by professional examination. Oral cancers in these areas can be devastating if they're not caught in time. I have no idea if Takanohana was having some difficulties which caused him to seek medical help or if the cancer was found during a routine examination. Whatever the reason, it was too late.

The lesson we can all learn from this is that while oral cancer is not extremely common, it is still quite prevalent--and possibly deadly. Don't smoke and don't use alcohol to excess. And whether or not you use these substances, be sure to have regular oral examinations--not only to have healthy teeth and gums, but to possibly save your life.

I don't know whether Takanohana's death could have been prevented. It possibly could have. I do know is that sumo lost a great man and I feel very sad about that.

... The sad part is that such an area can be so isolated that without any symptoms, the patient probably won't even know that there is anything abnormal going on and the lesion will continue to grow and spread. The only way to detect any problems early is by professional examination. Oral cancers in these areas can be devastating if they're not caught in time. I have no idea if Takanohana was having some difficulties which caused him to seek medical  help or if the cancer was found during a routine examination. Whatever the reason, it was too late... 

I don't know whether Takanohana's death could have been prevented. It possibly could have. I do know is that sumo lost a great man and I feel very sad about that.

I didn't know that. I had figured that since moto ozeki Takanohana was a very successful rikishi, he may have been able to ignore any pain (and avoid the doctor or not tell a doctor about it) and carry on as usual until it was too late to treat any problem. High tolerance to pain/discomfort would be useful for a rikishi, but not a good strategy for maintaining health (especially for problems where early detection is critical).

If there are no (or very few) signs or symptoms, he may have never know until it was too late. Either way, a great loss to the family and sumo.

I don't see why this should be a long-term problem. They've been brought together by necessity right now, but soon they will be going their own ways again and spend as little time talking to each other as possible, which I'm sure suits all three of them just fine. (And none of us really would have the right to demand that they should reconcile; that's entirely their private business.)

The ones I feel sorry for are those caught in the middle of the whole mess, like Waka-I and Otowayama.

Maybe I couldn't express what I wanted to, but you used exactly the words I had needed: "They've been brought together." And that's it. But they can't even stop their animosities until the poor old man will be under the earth (sorry if this may sound a bit rude)! Especially as Futagoyama was the last link between them and always tried to find some kind of cease-fire status, probably right until he passed away.

What I understand under "family", or "clan" in their case, is that: you can argue with each other as much as you like, you can move to different ends of the world and see each other never again, but if it comes down to an "outside attack" (by other persons or by fate, as here), you will stand united. And yes, I think we can demand -- better: expect -- at least that from them for a few days. For Futagoyama. The rest is entirely private, as you said.

Masaru Hanada (ex-Wakanohana III) at the wake;

20050602-02501361-jijp-soci-view-001.jpg

Ex-wife Noriko Fujita:

20050602-00000027-sanspo-spo-thum-000.jpg

20050602-00000021-dal-spo-thum-000.jpg

20050602-00000001-maip-soci-view-000.jpg