Sign in to follow this  
John Gunning

Edit

Unfortunately, I have a gig right BEHIND the stadium at the time of the game. I'll watch what I can backstage. All 40,000 tickets have been sold five days before the match, which seldom, or never happens. The Irish team is being greeted with a lot of respect- Tel Aviv streets are lined with the Irish flag, and some major parties are being planned for the 4000 strong Irish fans expected, an unheard-of number from an away team here. The game coincides with Purim, which is the happiest Jewish holiday, where everyone dresses up, kind of like Halloween, so spirits will be high.

I thing percentage wise it's more like 20-80, but I'll go with your pessimism..

Have the teams ever played before?

I thought the title of the thread was interesting because I once did a Social Studies course at school that looked at both in terms of their disrupted histories and current (it was the 80s) prominence in the world.

I think Kerr think that Israel a world class team and attacking one?? (In a state of confusion...) they are a boonker team that kicks the ball to the sky and for the world class we'll see on saturday and on wedensday my guess:

Israel-Ireland 1-0 to Israel

France-Israel 2-0

I am very optimistic with are chances of success

I think Kerr think that Israel a world class team and attacking one?? (In a state of confusion...)  they are a boonker team

Boonker=bunker=like to defend a lot and try to steal a goal. Hebrew idiom..

I have to disagree with my esteemed colleague here. Not a total attacking team, but no 'bunkers" lately spotted, especially at home.

Edited by Kintamayama

In the meantime, in the under-21 team match, Israel won 3-1. It was 2-0 after 5 minutes.

(Nodding yes...)  :-S  :-P  :-)  (You are going off-topic...)  (You are going off-topic...)  (You are going off-topic...)  (You are going off-topic...)  (You are going off-topic...)  (You are going off-topic...)  (You are going off-topic...)  (You are going off-topic...)  (You are going off-topic...)  (You are going off-topic...)  (You are going off-topic...)  (You are going off-topic...) 

(Whistling...)

Are you hinting that my last post was off-topic? Can't you just come out and SAY it??

How come the lads in the last pic are drinking a Japanese beer (Sapporo)? Shouldn't they be having Guinness or another Irish alternative?

How come the lads in the last pic are drinking a Japanese beer (Sapporo)?  Shouldn't they be having Guinness or another Irish alternative?

They were obviously in Japan.

Wow what a game. In the end 1-1 but Ireland had more control on the ball but they didn't shoot it at goal a dramatic draw in the 91 minute by Abas Swan unbelivebele

2-0, then 2-2, then lots of luck and a suicidal goalkeeper..

Who would have believed that we could get two goals, let alone one, in Dublin, where no one managed to get any in the last 5 games, after being down 2-0 after ten minutes??

Hoo-haaa..

Edited by Kintamayama

I just watched the highlights: what a fantastic Irish 2-0 goal!

Then Israel miraculously rallied to pull even, and I thought: will all Sumoforum members be happy now? Nishinoshima and Tominishiki: shake hands!

No, Ireland supporter will be very, very not happy. We are content, indeed. we were veeery lucky today..Luck of thr Irish..

How about Ireland and Japan next Sunday at Nagai Stadium? I am going with a bunch of my mates. They are playing a second match in Tokyo in 2 weeks.

I will be rooting for Japan as I have 0% Irish blood while my son has 50% Japanese blood, gotta stick with the family on this one.

My mates will not be sharing the same sentiments.

Before you roundball nutters get too excited, its the oval ball code. (Blinking...)

As of today the standings are

Group 4 Pld Pts

Switzerland 6 12

Israel 7 11

Republic of Ireland 6 10

France 6 10

Cyprus 6 1

Faroe Islands 5 1

Israel has the easiest scedhule as all the other teams still have to play in Lansdown road and to face each other. I think that the four teams will win faroe islands so the standings will look like this

Israel 9 17 pts

Republic of Ireland 7 13

France 7 13

Switzerland 6 12

My guess is that at the end Israel will finish on top and Ireland second

Edited by tominishiki

i think ireland will beat the two weak teams so it basically comes down to our home games against france and the swiss. i think a win and a draw would be enough but thats a tall order against those two.

(Depressed...)

In the competition between Israel, Ireland, Switzerland and France there have been only draws so far. I think it may well go on this way until the end. In which case all teams will be equal on points, and I suppose it's going to be decided on the amount of goals scored during these encounters between the four top teams. In that prospect a 2-2 draw is a relatively good result for both teams (good chances that they end up 1st and 2nd of the group)... But of course anything can still happen...

i think ireland will beat the two weak teams so it basically comes down to our home games against france and the swiss. i think a win and a draw would be enough but thats a tall order against those two.

(Depressed...)

In the competition between Israel, Ireland, Switzerland and France there have been only draws so far. I think it may well go on this way until the end. In which case all teams will be equal on points, and I suppose it's going to be decided on the amount of goals scored during these encounters between the four top teams. In that prospect a 2-2 draw is a relatively good result for both teams (good chances that they end up 1st and 2nd of the group)... But of course anything can still happen...

I think that the goal diffrence count and not the amount of goals in that case if the draw situation will continue the important matches aree against Faroe Islands and Cyprus and the team that will win in the highest goal diffrence will be on top

I think that the goal diffrence count and not the amount of goals in that case if the draw situation will continue the important matches aree against Faroe Islands and Cyprus and the team that will win in the highest goal diffrence will be on top

Just checked now and apparently I was right, if four teams are equal on points and all matches between them were draws, it's going to be a matter of goals scored. If two teams are equal on that basis too, then it's going to be a matter of goal difference overall, as you're saying.

cf. http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/releases/en/...6_090604_en.pdf

(page 6, note 7)

My guess is that at the end Israel will finish on top and Ireland second

For that to happen, we have to beat Switzerland at their home. No way. I think they're the best team in the group. And the Faroe Island games are not a sure 6 points either. Israel tends to be upset by the weaker teams, when there is no one to show off in front of..

Third in the group- France and Switzerland will be the top two. I think Ireland received a very big morale blow yesterday and will have great difficulties getting over it.

Edited by Kintamayama

The Greek newspapers mentioned this game extensively due to the presence of the Greek referee Kyros Vassaras, who was described as horrible.

Some of the comments was saying "how the hell can we trust this guy not to embarass our country in the World Cup Final next year? We won the Euro and we cannot find a descent referee to represent us ?"

The Greek newspapers mentioned this game extensively due to the presence of the Greek referee Kyros Vassaras, who was described as horrible.

Some of the comments was saying "how the hell can we trust this guy not to embarass our country in the World Cup Final next year? We won the Euro and we cannot find a descent referee to represent us ?"

I think he did an excellent job. He was always close to the events. If anything, he overlooked two penalties in our favor. Concerning the red card, well, the rule book states "no physical contact with the goalkeeper", and as O'Brien was lying on top of Awat, and consequently, Awat was bleeding heavily from his nose (probably punched himself in the nose..) well.. And, of course, he disallowed a scored penalty kick and demanded a torinaoshi because players entered the penalty area.. Come on.. how many referees do THAT?? And still, Nimni scored. Every referee makes a mistake here and there. but to call him an embarassment? I wonder why the Greek press didn't like his decisions. I'm willing to bet he has past issues with the Greek press, or was involved in the past in some very unpopular decisions. Otherwise, what does the Greek sports press care anyway??

Edited by Kintamayama