Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

NHK Sumo Magazine

I know some people here are on a limited budget but once in a while there comes along something worth buying and keeping it.

There is an excellent bi-monthly sumo magazine called NHK 大相撲中継 (Ozumo Chukei). In their "Hatsu Basho" 2005 edition, they not only have a large picture of each Makuuchi rikishi but also b/w face pictures of all rikishis, yobidashi and gyoji grouped by heya. They also include a handbook of each of 82 kimarite with a drawing.

If you are going to get one sumo magazine this year - this should be it (though Sumo magazine's May issue is another keeper with more detailed listing of rikishi by heya).

The price of this magazine (and I am not selling, sorry) in Japanese Yen is 880 Yen. I am sure if you contact OCS courier sometime in next week or so, you should be able to get it as the magazine is normally avaialable in Japan prior to each basho. OCS may ask you to subscribe and it is well worth it but it could get to become expensive even though it comes out every two months just before a hon-basho. You should be able to get one issue though.

This magazine is far more accessible than the other two Japanese sumo magazines, "Sumo" and "Ozumo" even if your Japanese is not at expert level.

I have no idea how much it would cost for you to get it couriered to where you live (probably much cheaper if you just ask them to mail it to you) but it may cost around 20 Euros or $20. But when you think about it in terms of once a year purchase, perhaps you could justify it but please don't send your bread money.

BTW it is published by NHK Stella and it is called NHK Ozumo Chukei (Chukei means coverage).

Attached is the January's cover (unfortunately I can only post one pic per post and I am slowing running out of my storage limit.)

Edited by Jonosuke

I followed your advice and purchased that magazine today when I saw it at Kinokuniya. I am looking forward to reading it. I've already started on the first article about Asashouryuu.

I like the fact that it shows the records of each rikishi in the tournaments of 2004, and I would like to also read background info on each rikishi.

I just noticed that this NHK magazine being sold on Japanese Amazon site. As I often buy books, DVD and CDs from Amazon Japan, I believe you can also order this from them in case if you are interested.

If you can buy it from them, then it's pretty reasonable as they charge only 880 Yen per copy plus any shipping charge.

You can check it

here

They also do have Ozumo Rikishi List 2005 verson on sale now. This has all the Makuuchi rikishi bio from the start of Meiji Era.

Edited by Jonosuke

Hello all

I want to see if somebody who leave in japan can buy for me a issue of the nhk sumo magazine and send it to me in france. I will pay the issue plus the shipping cost.

If someone can make it, send me an e-mail or reply in the forum.

Thanks a lot for the people who can make it for me.

I want to see if somebody who leave in japan can buy for me a issue of the nhk sumo magazine and send it to me in france. I will pay the issue plus the shipping cost.

If someone can make it, send me an e-mail or reply in the forum.

As I indicated in my post earlier, you can order NHK Ozumo Chukei magazine through Amazon Japan. Since you do read English, choose English language option on Amazon Japan site and search in sports magazine genre.

A price of each is 700 Yen plus delivery and I'd say that would be easiest without bothering anyone else. Incidentally it is published every other month, at the end of even month. Yomiuri's Ozumo magazine used to publish every month but now they are published every other month as well and it too can be ordered through Amazon Japan.

it could get to become expensive even though it comes out every two months just before a hon-basho.

sonnerie portable mp3 - Sonnerie portable MP3 est en effet unpouvoir de l'innovation technologique.

Edited by bigbigball

日本語でごめんなさい。

皆さんが住んでいる国には日系の本屋はありますか?

もしあるならそこで相撲雑誌を注文する事が出来るかもしれないですよ。

私はマレーシアに住んでいますが、近くに日系の本屋があり、そこで相撲雑誌を注文しています。

一週間くらいで届きます。アマゾンで注文するより安いです。

日本語でごめんなさい。

皆さんが住んでいる国には日系の本屋はありますか?

もしあるならそこで相撲雑誌を注文する事が出来るかもしれないですよ。

私はマレーシアに住んでいますが、近くに日系の本屋があり、そこで相撲雑誌を注文しています。

一週間くらいで届きます。アマゾンで注文するより安いです。

I'll just translate for gacktoh in case anyone following this thread does not read Japanese (although, then, you might not get much out of buying NHK Ozumo Chukei magazine)

"I'm sorry for posting in Japanese.

Are there Japanese bookstores in the countries where you are living? If there are, then you can probably order sumo magazines though them.

I'm living in Malaysia and I am ordering sumo magazines through a nearby Japanese bookstore. It takes about a week for delivery, and is cheaper than ordering through Amazon."