Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Asashoryu Yushos in 2005

How many Yushos do you think Asashoryu will win in 2005?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How many Yushos do you think Asashoryu will win in 2005?

• 6 Yusho (wow)
    • 5 Yusho
    • 4 Yusho
    • 3 Yusho
    • 2 Yusho
    • 1 Yusho
    • 0 Yusho

let's say 5 ... so Kaiho can grab one too .... :-P

(and YES i mean KaiHo)

Guest Vincentoryu

I say he'll win (just) three next year. Other winners will be Kaio (twice, he will become Yokozuna!) and Hakuho

Yeah, just three... :-P I believe he must hit a wall, sooner or later, whether in shape of KaioU, HakuhOu or KaiHou remains to be seen. (Laughing...)

Then again, I didn't think he would come so close to winning 6 straight this year, so what do I know.

Feeling generous I see Kaikitsune. (Shaking head...) (Shaking head...)

I say 4-

Father Xmas and The easter bunny will win the first 2 bashos of 2005 due to all the weight gained eating mince pies and easter eggs. :-P

Feeling generous I see Kaikitsune.

I almost wrote 2!

Asashoryu is past his prime. No more domination. This was definitely his peak year. Now it will all be downhill. Injuries pile up, there are bigger talents than him coming up the ranks (Hakuho, Kisenosato) and old war horses still make him fight for every win. When he loses some edge of his sumo due to something, he won't be able to turn the tables against Tamanoshima and the bunch so often as he still can in reverse mode.

Go Asashoryu!!!!!!!! :-P

Don't take that too seriously now Asashoryu-fan sirs and ladies. That is my humble prediction and coloured with anti-Shoryu feelings. Yet, I honestly do believe he has difficult times ahead and many cursing hanamichi walks and sleepless nights due to more and more losses. 2 yusho max in 2005.

Peace.

KaioU beats Shoryu with a nice yoritaoshi in Hatsu.

I was the brave soul to vote '6'. Why? Well, Asashoryu is a pretty determined kind of rikishi. At the start of last year he was asked his plans for 2004, and he said 5 Yusho. I have the feeling that he'll want the full 6 this calendar year, and thereby set a new benchmark for sumo.

I also think that 2005 is probably the last chance that he will the capability to do so.

....and I can't see any other obvious candidates for taking a Yusho.

Jejima

I voted for three yusho, and that's only because he is such an exceptional rikishi. Much like Kaikitsune, I expect that Asa has pretty much peaked now...I gave him a year and a half of dominance when he was promoted to Yokozuna (much like Akebono had), and he's gone slightly beyond that by now, but the first cracks in the armour have definitely showed in the last half year. If he was anybody else, I'd say one or two yusho in 2005, but it's still Asashoryu, so three it is. That would still be very much a dai-yokozuna performance...Takanohana also had "only" three yusho in his third year as Yokozuna.

Four. I'm joining the majority of voters.

As Nishinoshima said, he's still young to be past his prime....if he can't improve he would still keep in shape for a while barring injuries of course.

Chiyotaikai takes the next two, it's obvious, then Asashoryu will have his yusho, then CSKA, then Asashoryu again, and afterwards Kaio (who will already be Yokozuna, following a 13-2J in Hatsu), and finally Asashoryu again, to a total of 3 this upcoming year. Chiyotaikai will retire after Natsu basho.

Edited by QttP

.... then Asashoryu will have his yusho, then CSKA, then Asashoryu again,...

I don't think Asashoryu is good at hockey or soccer.

because:

1) i only see hakuho as a major threat in the first four basho

2) have to disagree with the "past his prime" posts. too young for that

3) he is virtually certain to win in jan and november (always seems stronger in winter)

5) kaio / chiyo are capable of taking only one between them this year i think

the only unknown is how good will kotooshu / roho / kisenosato / hakuho be later in the year. 2006 will be a much tougher year for the yokozuna i'd say. he should maintain his dominance in 2005.

I feel above unknown can snap 2. Kaio or other strongmen can get 1, what is left for Asashoryu- 3.

6, and why not? He got 5 this year, next year he's going to be even more experienced. Hakuho will come into his prime and start being a real threat the year after.

I don't think Asashoryus dominace in sumo is gone, also did not see his armor cracking in the last half year. September Basho was bad ok, but in Kyushu he trained to his normal self and took the yusho without too much difficulties. The only others who can make serious yushocompetion are the Ozeki and Hakuho. And now that Tochiazuma is almost out of sumo Asa loses a threatening foe. Roho and Kotooshu are no real yusho candidates and Kisenosato has yet to establish in makuuchi. Chiyotaikai could get some more good bashos as Ozeki with 11-4 or so, but Kaio seems to have lost his motivation (according to Kintas reports, thanks). So I voted 4 yusho, but I think it is the minimum he will take. Asashoryu is still healthy, he still is the hardest trainer, he is just 24 years old, he is one of the best technicans in sumo, he still has the flame. So I think Asas dominance will also continue the next 2-3 years. Also Hakuho has yet to show that he can make it to a big rival for Shoryu, but I think not before 2006.

(I am not worthy...) My big call for 2005 is the Wakanosato is going to pick up himself a Yusho, you heard it here first folks, Wakanosato for one Yusho - mark my words.

Kaio could crack one more and Hakuho maybe one leaving 3-4 for Shoryu.

Edited by sekihiryu

Chiyotaikai takes the next two, it's obvious, then Asashoryu will have his yusho, then CSKA, then Asashoryu again, and afterwards Kaio (who will already be Yokozuna, following a 13-2J in Hatsu), and finally Asashoryu again, to a total of 3 this upcoming year. Chiyotaikai will retire after Natsu basho.

Now what is that about CSKA? In Bulgaria, and in Russia as well, CSKA stands for Central Sports Club of the Army, but what does this have to do with sumo? (Eh?) Must be some joke I failed to get... :-S :'-(