Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Chiganoura Stable Opens Formally

The new Chiganoura stable, established in September by ex-Sekiwale Masudayama who broke away from Kasugano, has been formallly inaugurated today with the opening of their new premises and the hanging of the kanban, the heya name sign. The new heya is built on the old Takasago beya site (and NOT the old Wakamatsu site) where Konishiki and Mitoizumi took their first Sumo steps. The heya is spacious (80 Joe..can someone FINALLY establish how big a Joe is??). So far there are 4 deshi, all Makushita and under. "The place has good vibes, so I hope we'll be successful", said Chiganoura Oyakata, smiling sweetly.

It's good to touch the green, green grass of home.

The guys with Okamisan, and the Hungarian Mr. Atiilla in the background:

20041207-02191414-jijp-spo-view-001.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

...The heya is spacious (80 Joe..can someone FINALLY establish how big a Joe is??)...

Yes, a joe is the area covered by a single (count it - one!) standard size tatami (rice straw) mat...usually one metre by two metres (or, 2 sq. m). When checking on real-estate, most room sizes are conveyed in "joe". When buying a heater or air-conditioner, it's power is described by how many *joe* it can heat/cool. Though the standard size differs slightly between Kanto and Kansai, it's not a big difference (a matter of a few centimetres).

EDIT: a link here to Wikipedia.

Edited by Otokonoyama

Attila Toth (Masutouou, Mass, for short) has his own picture.. 1.87 meters, 135 kilos, 18 years old, in case someone forgot.

04120803totoNK179C07.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

I belive a Joe is actually 2 tatami mats, not one. So 1 Joe is actually about 3.2 square meters, or 35 square feet.

It is a measure of area standardly used in former Japanese colonies such as Taiwan and Korea.

I belive a Joe is actually 2 tatami mats, not one.
Edited by Yangnomazuma

Is that dude joining the new Heya? will he be in Mae-zumo in january or what is the procedure?

He has already joined- He will start Maezumo in January.

Edited by Kintamayama

See what I mean? This joe thing has never been resolved. It's driving me crazy!!

Well..

See what I mean? This joe thing has never been resolved. It's driving me crazy!!

Well..

In Japan, a jou is written (畳 / じょう), and is the space covered by one (1) tatami mat. If you rent/purchase a building or room, or buy a product designed to heat/cool a room of "x" number of jou, you had better not expect a jou to represent the area of two tatami mats, or you will be sorely disappointed. At the real-estate agent, they show you the floor-plan of properties you are interested in, and take you to view the place if so inclined. In the five times I have been, what has been advertised as an 8-jou room is eight tatami mats, what is advertised as 4.5-jou is really four and a half mats. If you buy a cover to protect your tatami, a cover designed for 6-jou covers exactly six mats (all the ones I've bought, anyway).

As for former Japanese colonies, and other Asian countries, I cannot say...but, in Japan B-)

AHA! After checking the kanji provided by Yangnomazuma, now I understand Zuikakuyama's confusion...

In Japan, that unit of measure is called TSUBO (坪) is equivalent to the area of two tatami mats, or 2-jou.

See the area converstion charts for jou and tsubo

Edit: As I understand it, jou is used mainly for residential real-estate, and tsubo mainly for commercial real-estate. Anyhow, that makes the new heya approx. 122 sq. m.

Edited by Otokonoyama

Thanks for the clarification: I *love* obscure units of measurement. This forum is truly a treasure trove.

On the topic of Chiganoura-beya opening: is there a priset to bless the premises initially? Is it done publicly, with a ceremony etc?

Edit: As I understand it, jou is used mainly for residential real-estate, and tsubo mainly for commercial real-estate.
Edited by Jonosuke

hello!

I am a Hungarian girls who is an amatour sumo wrestler. Attila Toth, the Hungariian boy in the Chiganoura, is my boyfriend.

If somebody know something about him please send me!

hello!

I am a Hungarian girls who is an amatour sumo wrestler. Attila Toth,  the Hungariian boy in the Chiganoura, is my boyfriend.

If somebody know  something about him please send me!

Hi...welcome to SumoForum (I am not worthy...)

Please check the 'Non-sumo related forum', in Member Introductions (Sign of approval)

hello!

I am a Hungarian girls who is an amatour sumo wrestler. Attila Toth,  the Hungariian boy in the Chiganoura, is my boyfriend.

If somebody know  something about him please send me!

I would hope that as his girlfiend you would know more about him than anyone here on the forum (I am not worthy...)

Welcome abord (Sign of approval)

On to "joe" part fo topic: those of you interested in Japanese measures can hop to this thread.

Welcome, Leella!