Sign in to follow this  
Rijicho

Featured rikishi - Miyabiyama

Some stats:

About him:

Date of Birth: 28 july 1977 (27 years old) in Ibaraki.

Height: 1.87 m

Weight: 182 kg, i.e. one of the biggest of the makuuchi division.

Mawashi: he used to wear a light green; now he has a brown one. (since a few months)

Other: I heard he recently lost his father... ;-) There was a topic on this forum.

Photo:

Miyabia.jpg

On his carrier:

At the beginning of his carrier he was very strong and he had veeery fast promotions!!! He was promoted to Ozeki in july 2000, whereas he started sumo 2 years before!!! ;-) He was considered as the future great ozeki/yokozuna: he was only 23!!!

But in july 2001, just 1 year after his promotion, he was badly hurt and had to stop for a long time. He was MK in july 2001, he partly missed aki 2001, and missed totally kyushu 2001 and hatsu 2002. When he came back in march 2002, he was maegashira 8!!! Since 2002, he tries to get his rank again, and he is going to be promoted again...

I think this show us was will happen to Tochizuma!!!

The second-next Ozeki. He will return to gain what is rightfully his. Quietly, he has gone 9-6, 9-6 at Sekiwake. A zensho will do it next time. If not, he has a few more basho to do it. He has shown solid Sumo lately. Fetid bloated carcass my eye.

Wakanosato, Miyabiyama, Hakuhou. 3 Ozeki by Nagoya 2005.

Edited by Kintamayama

Fetid bloated carcass

i know i am quoting wrong but this is my opinion on him ...

(sorry Exil ... please don't increase my "warn meter") .... ;-) )

Came up in the heyday of Musashigawa beya and helped push them over the top of (now) Takanohana beya as the driving force in Ozumo. The injuries forced a shift in his body composition. He went from a big strong Ozeki to a fat underpowered Maegashira in the process. He's since gotten back into much better shape and is very competitive even at the top of the banzuke again. I believe that if he keeps increasing his power while reducing his body fat percentage (not necessarily his weight though...) he'll be Ozeki again. From there, it's anybody's guess. I'm not sure he has the skills to make Yokozuna, but he may see a prolonged stay at Ozeki the second time.

Now after Musashimaru and also Musoyama is gone Miyabiyama is the leader in Musashigawa. Nobody is higher ranked than him, a situation he never had before. This is one reason for his old strength that he found back. Very solid sumo indeed but for ozeki chances still too inconsistent. I doubt he can get 33-34 wins in three basho. (although I hope he comes back to Ozeki) Never has an Ozeki got his rank back, after such a long time.

Miyabiyama also holds a record. He won his first four tournaments in sumo. I remember this guy storming in Makuuchi with his hair too short for a mage, and with his "little friend" (BR) on his shoulder. The reason that he could become Ozeki so fast, was because his heya dominated the top, his results of 11-4,12-3 would have been much harder got if he belonged to another heya. From his very first tournament as Ozeki his downfall started. (note Miyabiyama was after Daiju the second worst Ozeki of the last ones) It was pretty disapointing how he went down...So it would be even greater to see him rise again!

The fate of Musashigawa lies in the hands of Miya. Will they continue to have a top wrestler or will they become Sadogatake-like (though Sadogatake has Osh now) with lots of Makuuchi RAFs? They have no other Ozekiprospect than him.

At least I want to say that Miyabiyama has become an very interesting rikishi to watch again. For a long time it was so boring to see him, but now I'm really looking forward to see his bouts and I'm very curious how he will do in the future!

Nobody is higher ranked than him, a situation he never had before. This is one reason for his old strength that he found back.

Yes, he's not looked that good (at sumo I mean :-P ) for a long time. At the Aki Basho, it seems that the critical condition of his father (who passed away right after the basho) was a sort of drive for his fairly unexpected excellent performance then - at least he hinted that it had an influence when dedicating all his wins to him. He's sort of looked more composed to me since that tragic event. And now during the Kyushu Basho he indeed had to take up the challenge of saving Musashigawa beya after Musoyama went intai and Dejima kyujo. I think these events may to some extent explain his refound strength and newlyfound composure...

Fetid bloated carcass my eye.

Wakanosato, Miyabiyama, Hakuhou. 3 Ozeki by Nagoya 2005.

Sounds like a comment from the SML..... :-D :-) :-) As for the three Ozeki prospects, I feel that Waka and Hakuho could be Ozeki next year but Miyabiyama will have a tough time making it. Hopefully he will prove me wrong. :-)

(snip)

The injuries forced a shift in his body composition. He went from a big strong Ozeki to a fat underpowered Maegashira in the process.

(snip)

That leads me to a question: I've heard sometime ago that he was one of the rikishis with worse muscle/fat percentages.

Anyone has statistics on this? It would be nice to see his muscle/fat percentage before his injuries, right after he returned, and nowadays.

Thanks in advance :-D

I took a 2 year sabbitical from sumo, during which I never really got to see him while he was rising quick, or as a promising Ozeki. As for now he just sems soft an squishy, with his bodywieght and meager slap attack enough to win the percentage of his bouts. Must be a bit of a dissapointment for all his seroius followers, but at least he's made it back to Sekiwake.......-

Edited by Ryukaze

I was just getting on to the SML when he made his run for Ozeki, and I distinctly remember many people referring to him as the "Paper Ozeki".

Here's a link to some chatter on the SML right before he became Ozeki, including some excellent analysis by Chuck Finberg(sorry if you're now known by another name here) on Miya's Ozeki run:

SML on Miyabiyama

Here's the tale of the tape on Miyabiyama, to me:

January 1999:

14-1 at Juryo 1 West.  Excellent result, but of course not ozeki caliber.

In his only 3 matches against makuuchi rikishi, he beat Wakanojo (M11) and

Chiyotenzan (M14) , but lost to Asahiyutaka (M13).

March 1999:

9-6 at M7E.  Excellent makuuchi debut, but of course not an ozeki caliber

result.

May 1999:

6-9 at M2W.  Obviously not an ozeki caliber result.

July 1999:

7-8 at M4E.  Obviously not an ozeki caliber result.

September 1999:

10-5 at M5E.  Started 8-0 (remember that?!) against relatively easy

competition and was leading the basho, but then lost 5 in a row.  If those 5

opponents had not been so tough (3 sanyaku, Tochiazuma-M1, and Kotoryu), one

could say he choked.  Strong result, but not an ozeki caliber result

considering the match-ups, as well as the string of 5 losses.  (If he WERE

an ozeki leading at 8-0 who lost his next 5 bouts, one WOULD say he choked!)

November 1999:

8-7 at M1W.  Not an ozeki caliber result.

January 2000:

12-3 at Komosubi West.  Lost only to Takanohana, Takanonami...and to

Takanowaka on Day 14.  Excellent result, but choked against a lower-ranker

on Day 14, when he still had a chance to win the basho.  Nevertheless, an

acceptable result for an ozeki.

March 2000:

11-4 at Sekiwake West.  Lost only to Kyokushuzan, Tosanoumi, Takanohana and

prominently (I would say, stumblingly, if that were a word) to basho-winner

Takatoriki on Day 15.  Again, choked against a lower-ranker (though

admittedly the basho-winner) on Day 15, when he still had a chance to win

the basho.  Nevertheless, an acceptable result for an ozeki.

Well, I don't know much about promotion factors: For instance, I don't know

how much Miyabiyama's image matters (injuring younger college teammates at

the Meiji U. Sumo Club).  See:

http://www.banzuke.com/99-3/msg00227.html

http://www.banzuke.com/99-3/msg00262.html

I also don't know how much the sumo fathers feel they need a new ozeki with

maturity/character questions, Chiyotaikai-like, to replace Waka (and 'Nami)

in order to stimulate fan interest.  ("I knew Wakanohana; Wakanohana was a

friend of mine; and Miyabiyama is no Wakanohana.")

One can fairly attribute some weakness in Miyabiyama's results to injuries

along the way.  He has shown youth and strength to weather these injuries

well (as those who didn't pick him in Totoro's January hoshitori learned).

However, I don't know how injuries can be taken as a factor in consideration

of ozeki promotion -- I think that the wins and losses must ultimately do

the talking.

But, reviewing the above sequence of basho results, I see nothing before

January 2000 that would qualify Miyabiyama for ozeki promotion.  Only by

looking at the last two basho results and no further, and by also ignoring

the story about misbehavior and probably our assessment of the Kyokai's

values, can one conclude that Miyabiyama is FAVORED for promotion next

basho.

So, in my opinion, if Miyabiyama wins the basho, or goes 14-1, in May then

he probably must be promoted.  But a 13-2 result will put the question

squarely.  And it will be a NEW question, reflecting continued growth,

because his best previous makuuchi result was only 12-3 at komosubi.  But,

even at 13-2, it will still be a tough question for the powers that be,

testing the pulse of marketing desperation in the sport.

In this context, to me another 12-3 result would not lead to immediate

promotion, and anything less will of course not be sufficient.  At 12-3, I

think we'll see statements emerge that Miyabiyama is poised to be promoted

next time, etc.

That's just my clumsy opinion.  I, too, would like to see a poll.

- Chuck

Edited by Gusoyama

I remember this guy storming in Makuuchi with his hair too short for a mage, and with his "little friend" (BR) on his shoulder.

What's the story behind this little friend? :-D I was always keen to know about this and I guess this is the right place to bring this question up.

I know it's rather pointless to argue about a SML post made 4 years ago, but the discussion about whether Miyabiyama deserved the promotion or not is bollocks, IMHO.

I remember this guy storming in Makuuchi with his hair too short for a mage, and with his "little friend" (BR) on his shoulder.

What's the story behind this little friend? :-D I was always keen to know about this and I guess this is the right place to bring this question up.

This "mini-Mi" is caused by the repetitive blows to the shoulder that keiko provides. I don't know if, at this point, it is permanent or whether it might fade if given sufficient rest. My surprise is that it's not more common in Sumo.

I know it's rather pointless to argue about a SML post made 4 years ago, but the discussion about whether Miyabiyama deserved the promotion or not is bollocks, IMHO.

I agree. Just as much bollocks as the current discussion if KaioU should have been promoted or not..

Miyabiyama was troubled by the repeated injury last year.

He answered the year "This year is a year which cures an injury" according to coverage of a magazine.

And he added "2004 are a year of activity" and told.

I did not trust his words at all.

However, he demonstrated own capability this year to the maximum extent as his words.

Since he used the technique of sumo different from before, he played an active part against my imagination.

What the power of push increased with the increase in weight is clear to appearance.

Furthermore, the postures in the case of push differ.

His most characteristic posture was a posture in which the upper part of the back was rounded like a cat while the center of gravity has been high.

It is canceled recently.

He was using push before for the purpose caught in a form advantageous to self.

The posture in which he stoops was strange, and although the power of push was also decreased, it was effective in order for him to grapple.

In the last basho, he did not have the intention of holding mawashi.

It is not necessary to see a result and I think that the tactics are the best fundamentally for him.

That his mawashi which was loosening well is fastened strongly recently shows that he recognized the tactics to be the best.

In the higher rank of the present makuuchi, it is a fact that rikishi which he can hold mawashi and can win hardly exists.

And it is also advantageous for him that his strengthened push is not completely trusted by surrounding rikishi yet.

I still do not think that he continues being in Sanyaku.

If it is known around that he will attack only by push, it is hard to desire sumo as his order.

He has lost speed in inverse proportion to push strengthening (increase in weight).

And the height of the position of the center of gravity (waist) is still former.

Therefore, even if he is the best condition, to rikishi which it exceeds with speed, he is powerless.

He requires the time from tachiai to the first push too much.

And, he may not be able to do even 1 time of push to quicker rikishi.

Now, almost all foreign-born rikishis have exceeded him with speed.

It is next to impossible that he will gather speed from now on.

When he regains health, the surrounding situation is changing from that, and I sympathize with him.

Even so, he is not the age from which it still retires.

I think it the device of tachiai that it is required for him in order to acquire the results maximum by his present capability.

Generally, Japanese rikishis does not devise tachiai according to the opponents.

It is a fact that Miyabiyama has also received some benefits in that.

However, I regard the rikishi (not only Miyabiyama) without the outstanding skill as it being impossible to be fixed without a strategy to a higher rank from now on.

Did you become sleepy in my talk? (Yawning...)

Edited by Susanoo

Not sleepy at all, Susanoo-san! Very good analysis, and simillar to my feelings - Miya might be improving, but it will be difficult for him to regain Ozeki rank with such fast-improving competition... San'yaku regular? Might be. Not sure.

One more interesting fact about Miya: he's exactly one week younger than me. (Yawning...)

January 1999:
14-1 at Juryo 1 West.  Excellent result, but of course not ozeki caliber.
In his only 3 matches against makuuchi rikishi, he beat Wakanojo (M11) and
Chiyotenzan (M14) , but lost to Asahiyutaka (M13).

I have a story around from this time but I just haven't found a block of time to put it together but I will soon.

Miyabiyama had two consecutive Juryo yushos as he came up on Makuuchi and obviously he did not have enough time since his Tsukedashi debut to wear a mage let alone Oicho. His only regret this basho was that he lost to former Komusubi Asahiyutaka and he could not face him again because Asahiyutaka was retiring. I just got the picture scanned so you can see him with long hair circa 1999.

post-414-1102645877_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jonosuke

One more interesting fact about Miya: he's exactly one week younger than me.  B-)

I'm four days older than Miyabiyama. (I was born on July 24, 1977) :-)

Kaio was born on July 24 too, but he is five years old than I am.

Quote from another thread:

Unlike many other rikishis, Miyabiyama comes from a wealthy background. His father owned Ibaraki Kotsu Group, a transportation company based in Mito city, Ibaraki Prefecture. He had a fleet of taxies and at least one ryokan inn (my mother-in-law once told me she stayed in a Miyabiyama's father's ryokan).

His father was a well known businessman in Mito City. I always thought Miyabiyama being his eldest son would take over the company one day but at least for now I think he would try his best to make it back to Ozeki for his father.

Miyabiyama's shikona is very much his father's. "Miya" part comes from his given name of MASATO, "MASA" is the same kanji as 'MIYA". His full shikona name is Miyabiyama Tetsushi. Tetsushi is his father's given name.

Miyabiyama is very close to Musoyama as well. They both come from Mito City. As a matter of fact. Musoyama's father is the director of Ibarakai Sumo Association. He was a stern sumo instructor of Musoyama and Miyabiyama. While Miyabiyama was going to a middle school in Mito, his school did not have a sumo club so he joined their judo club. But every Saturday, he went to learn sumo techniques from Musoyama's father. Just like Musoyama. Miyabiyama was so strong, he quit University to join Ozumo and to follow Musoyama.

Also worth noting is the Pro-Miyabiyama Movement, which was born in this thread.

I was never a fan of Miyabiyama, but after reading some commentaries and forum posts I realized he was one of the most underrated and least liked of the active rikishi. Every time Miyabiyama was mentioned, someone saw necessary to call him 'worst ozeki of all time' or 'fetid, bloated carcass'. He goes 9-6, 10-5, 10-5, and he's still a carcass. I thought this was unfair to say the least, so I became the official pro-Miyabiyama person. I'm not a militant fan, though, so aderechelsea will not be banned. :-) :-D

Official pro-Miyabiyama smiley: miya1.gif

What's the story behind this little friend?  B-) I was always keen to know about this and I guess this is the right place to bring this question up.

There's a theory.

Takatoriki also made a "famous" comment that Miyabiyama's face looks like it hasn't been slapped enough and hence he certainly wanted to roughen up Miya's face. The problem was that young Miya was hardly bothered by slapping and he still is one of the most stubborn rikishi when receiving a tsuki-attack. Very strong in absorbing and part of it must be attributed to his concrete softness. Sort of Minatofuji's improved version. Not many could push Minatofuji out either and Konishiki even named him Marshmellow man.

Miyabiyama's decline was without a doubt partly related to his shoulder problems. Can't find it now but there was talk that he had had a very chronic shoulder injury for even years (!) which made his pushing power less intimidating. Also few basho ago he barely used his left side and even his oyakata said Miyabiyama has been working to manage without the full use of his left side. Maybe the shoulder is better now though. Miyabiyama can be very strong when he gets right hand outside grip. He is one of the very few rikishi who can give Tochinonada left shitate and still beat him most of the time with his right hand outside grip. His technique just lacks the sharpness of getting that right hand grip when the bout is forced into yotsu.

Miyabiyama has owned some pushers 100-0 which is not so surprisingly considering his endurance against oshi/tsuki. Here some statistics of his last 10 meetings with various rikishi:

Tamakasuga 10-0 (12-0 total)

Tochisakae 7-0

They just can't push Miya out and are not strong enough to pull him down either.

Akebono 2-6 (good bouts against Akebono)

Takanohana 0-11 (no chance in any bout really)

Asashoryu 1-9 (3-14 total. Too technical for Miya. Morozashi etc.)

KaioU 3-7 (5-17 total. U too strong but all Miya's wins over U have been really good ones with surprising kubinage and really surprising uwatenage in Hatsu 2000)

Chiyotaikai 4-6 (9-14 total. Lot of hatakikomi from both and then occasional good oshi wins. Taikai needs to work for a long time to push Miya out but often manages at the end if Miya stays completely defensive)

Tochiazuma 4-6 (9-13 total. In training Tochiazuma manhandles Miya without any problems and they have often done keiko together when Azuma has visited Musashigawa. Yet in honbasho it is much more even and Azuma has put in some nasty henka against Miya too)

Tochinonada 8-2 (17-7. Peculiar that Nada is so lost against Miya. Despite the fact that Nada is very good against high tsuki he is still quite hopeless at the end against Miya. Even when they bout goes to belt where Nada usually has left hand inside grip Miya bulldozes or throws him with uwatenage! He is now having a 5 bout winningh streat against Nada)

Tamanoshima 6-2 (Tamanoshima can't get the belt against Miya and is kept at distance all the time and he rarely can withstand that forever and hence loses usually to Miya)

Wakanosato 6-4 (11-8 total. Quite even pair which is usually a question of whether Waka gets the belt grip well. In those situations Miya is quite helpless against Waka since he doesn't have that right hand outside grip ever)

Tosanoumi 4-6 (10-13 total. Often some impact games and then a pull one way or the other. Occasionally also really sturdy oshi/yotsu tussle)

Kotomitsuki 4-6 (6-9 total. At first it looked like Kotomitsuki superior technique would make this rivalry a very uneven one and indeed even though the first 5 bouts between them were only 3-2 in favour of Kotomitsuki, Miya really looked overskilled. Yet later on Miyabiyama has managed to also dominate Mickey with nice kotenage, oshidashi and even yorikiri. Last 6 bouts are now 3-3 and their rank is about the same and even the history from yokozuna prospect to plummet and then a new upright trend. Lot of similarities except in their sumo)

Kyokutenho 4-6 (9-6 total. After Tenho bulked up he has been able to put in some decent uwatenage action and the pulldowns/henka of course. Nowadays quite even pair)

Kotonowaka 5-5 (6-6 total). As numbers say this is truly 50-50. Kotonowaka has dumped MIya couple of times with uwatenage and beats Miya when he gets left uwate)

Takamisakari 4-6 (Sakke is really strong against Miya. Sticks in close and squirms his way to yori or he pulls him down violently. Tough for for Miya)

Takanonami 3-7 (5-13 total. This was always lot of fun. I doubt Miya found it that pleasant though when Nami squuezed those kime-pliers together and beat Miya 3 times with kimedashi/taoshi, once with kotenage and once with kawazugake!. Nami liked to really punish young Miya and the first 5 bouts ended with kimdeashi, yorikiri, kimedashi, kawazugake and kimetaoshi and all bouts had really interesting features and Miya's elbow didn't like those bouts much)

Some newer stars:

Asasekiryu 6-3 (Entertaining bouts. Sekiryu's wins are all throws or trips whereas Miya has yorikiried Sekiryu often)

Hakuho 0-3 (Not much to say yet except that Miya has been stumbling down badly)

Iwakiyama 2-2 (Iwakiyama frequents at Musashigawa-beya for keiko)

Kokkai 2-1 (Strong foe for Kokkai who can't push Miya easily anywhere and these kind of foes really show how good Miya is in defending oshi)

Takanohana 0-11 (no chance in any bout really)

you forget the Kyushu 2002 (day2) victory Miya has against Takanohana

great nichonage kimarite :-S

you can watch the match here thanks to Chiyozakura's great site