Sign in to follow this  
Phelix

Discworld

Is anyone here a discworld fan? You know the books by Terry Pratchett? (If you
Edited by Yubiquitoyama

I haven't read the books. But I have played the three Discworld adventure games!

Granny Weatherwax or Commander Vimes are not important figures in any of the games, are they (I have only played one of them)? Which means the books have to be read! (Welcome...)

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

Is anyone here a discworld fan? You know the books by Terry Pratchett? (If you

Yes, my bad older brother got me addicted to Discworld as well. Being a police-stories fan, I like Morporkhian police novels the best. As for favorite character... well... Lord Vetinari. :-/ He's just so cool! (Laughing...)

I'm also a Discworld fan and have read about two dozen of the books. Most of them the German translations, but I recently switch to read them in english. That's a very big difference, the english ones are much better.

My favorite character is the Death of Rats. SQUEAK

Pratchet is in my "top 5 writers" list.

i have read the first 7 books of the series and i was amazed by the humour ...

i've read the first three books in Greek but then realised i was missing a lot of the jokes so i switched to the English versions and i reread them all ...

have to get back to the series though cause i haven't read a pratchet book for a year now. (So many good books around and so little time to read them)

I have only read the German versions of some Pratchett books, but I became a fan immediatly. My favourite book is the one I read first: Pyramids (The book where the young Pharao went to the Assassin school). I don't know any other author with so much irony and sarkasm in the text.

btw: My favourite character is The Death.

Edited by Takamueda

I am reading way too many sumo books and magazines to figure all this out now (In a state of confusion...)

But I am interested. And I want to read one of his books - so for someone totally new to all this, can you recommend me one to start with ?

I am reading way too many sumo books and magazines to figure all this out now (Blinking...)

But I am interested. And I want to read one of his books - so for someone totally new to all this, can you recommend me one to start with ?

well, basically you can start with any of them, since they do no really depend on each other. of course, it is easiest just to start with the first one. that would be 'the color of magic'.

also good for starters:

- guards, guards!

- wyrd sisters

- small gods

- pyramids

- sourcery

- the truth

- thief of time

- moving pictures

i listed these books because they are the first books that tell about a certain part of the discworld.

Actually, starting with the first is not always the best (because the author is not in his ful swing yet). But then, the best thing is to start with first four or five books and see if you like them. ;-)

While we're recommending Pratchett, "Good Omens", his colaboration with Neil Gaiman, is a stand-alone book, a great read, and a fine introduction in Pratchettian style. (Blinking...)

In the case of Discworld, I do indeed recommed starting with the first ones, since the world (particularly when the Watch is concerned; this also seems to be TPs favorite set of characters) is evolving. At least one of the fansites ("The L-Space Web", I think) had, and probably still has, a nice "map" showing interconnections between the books and offering "entry points" for starters.

Thanks for the pointers everyone.

Actually before I asked the question, I checked and found the Color of Magic was the first in the series but when I read a comment form someone suggesting I could start from "Rincewind" or "Guards! Guards!" or "Men at Arms" or Book 4 or 11 or 6, and I just got lost so that's the reason I asked.

I know a simple question like this has been probably asked many times....hmmm I guess we do similar things here too (Blinking...) but often it helps a lot when someone can point to the right direction but now I suppose I go with the right way and start with Color of Magic and Maneki san's book as I think they make a great read over the holidays.

Thanks Phelix for starting this whole thread too.

Edited by Jonosuke

I started reading Disc World after 'The Colour of Magic' first came out - yep one of the original fans :) I've read all the adult books since (and 'Eric'), fairly soon after they come out.

For a fan new to the series, I would probably recommend 'Mort' to read first (book 4 in the series, I think). The first couple 'The Colour of Magic' and 'The Light Fantastic' are just a little too much of a spoof - and follow on from each other. The third book, 'Equal Rites' introduces some main characters (including Granny Weatherwax), but are not really like the finished versions. I think from Mort onwards, Pterry really gets into the swing of things.

One complaint I have with his books (which is probably just me) is that the beginning of each book is great, but the endings tend to fizzle out a bit. (I really love the start of 'Pyramids' for example..... but the end? pfft...) I wonder if this is becuase he has a regular schedule of producing a book by November each year, ready for the Christmas market, and so sometimes has to rush things a bit?!

At one stage I preferred his earlier books (maybe because they were the first ones that I read?). I didn't think 'Jingo', 'The Last Continent', Carpe Jugulum' and 'The Fifth Elephant' were as good as his previous ones (they were just going by the 'Pterry formula'). Having said that, his latest offerings, 'The Truth', 'Thief of Time', 'Night Watch' and 'Monstrous Regiment' I really enjoyed....

My top 6?....

(In no particular order...) 'Mort', 'Pyramids', 'Small Gods', 'Soul Music', 'Interesting Times' and 'Monstrous Regiment'.

I have just received today (from Amazon), the new hardback novel, 'Going Postal'. It looks like it is another Ankh-Morpork setting :) I am going to save it up for my Christmas vacation.

To get back on topic..... There is a sumo (non-flattering one I recall) reference in one of the Disc World books - just a paragraph I believe. As most of my collection is in England (I am living in Hong Kong) I can't check just now. I think it is in 'Interesting Times'. Maybe somebody could print that quote to go with this thread?!

Jejima

.....and as to my favourite Disc World character? I like the *only* one that appears in every book. DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM TALKING ABOUT (Blinking...)

Jejima

One complaint I have with his books (which is probably just me) is that the beginning of each book is great, but the endings tend to fizzle out a bit.

Yes, I notice that too... Personally, I think it's because he writes too many books. :-D But this is an unfortunate characteristic of many popular writers (some of them write the same book every time, just change the words - if you know what I mean).

:-O If Stephen King wrote only one novel in his lifetime (and took 20 years doing it), it would be The Great American Novel. As it is, he'll "only" author several dozens of ho-hum horrors with few gems here and there, and die a rich man. (Sigh...)

As a Pterry fan, I'd also recommend his three kids Discworld books. They don't really interact with the adult books too much, so you won't miss many inside jokes. The only caveat would be with "A Hat Full of Sky" which does have a lot of Granny Weatherwax. It's not like it constantly refers to previous books' experiences, but it is easier to understand why Esme is like she is.

I'd probably select "Guards, Guards" as the first book, especially if you are a fan of the computer games. The first game was very much based on the book, so you start to get jokes and clues from the game much better.

Also, "Going Postal" is quite good, and I'm hoping he'll be able to bring back the characters.

Edited by Mattjila

(I really love the start of 'Pyramids' for example..... but the end? pfft...)

my feelings exactly ... (Sigh...)

my favourite book so far is Mort and i share Jejima's feelings as to who is the best character ... :-O

Interesting topic, because nearly every person I know loves the Discworld books.

I bought myself two of them some years ago, one was called "Discworld/Die Scheibenwelt" (german version - or something like that) and the other one "Mort" (english version). Although I'm book addict I never found my way to Terry Pratchett's style, but it's not because the books aren't good or something. I guess it has something to do with the genre. The "comedy"-style...well it's just not the one I prefer to read.

It doesn't happen often, but I fear that Terry Pratchetts books will be one of those books I'll never finish to read.

Anjoboshi

If you go here BBC radio, and launch the radio player, then select radio 4, you can listen to part one of an adaption of 'Small Gods' - one of my favourite Terry Pratchett books :)

Terry Pratchette is one of my favorite authors as well. "Guards! Guards!" was the book that got me hooked. His style is so unique and very addictive. "Good Omens" is laying about 3 inches away from my computer right now.

I also read and liked most of his books. My favourites are 5th Elefant and Good Omens, although that one wasnt written by him alone.

What I like about Pratchett is that his books are very entertaining, but not so captivating. You can put the book away and read (and laugh) on later.

Edited by Andreas