Sign in to follow this  
Ryukaze

Why you "DON'T" support Asashoryu

LOL I guess since we've already heard from those who support him, let's hear what the haters have to say! So...let's have it!

I will start by saying (now don't get me wrong im a bigtime supporter here but...) I will just say of all of the exeptionally unbeleiveable one of a kind heart,technique,strength,quickness,greatness my boy possess', it is his "attitude" only that his perhaps his lone and only weakness. From what I have seen at least I can understand how his manner can be easily misinterpreted (especially by native japanese). Arrragant? perhaps, over confident? perhaps, misinterpreted japanese from a non-native speaker? perhaps, the fact that he is a gaijin Yokozuna even? perhaps, more than likely all of the above?

Either way while it has done wonders for his career on the Dohyo his often "bullyish" and over "aggressive" manner as seen by native Japanese has perhaps not sat well with many fans and at the moment has done little to help an already "ailing" national sport, so until a suitable rival "rises" from the ashes (a native nihonjin even) this truly great sport's current popularity slump may continue............. (Just do not get it...) just my 2 cents tho! -Ryu

Edited by Ryukaze

He's a great sumotori (the best in current time) and he behaves like shit. The combination of the two makes a great recipe for hatred. It worked for me.

Why is this hate-monger Qttp allowed to post in this Forum? Because you support his racist views, I guess?

Why is this hate-monger Qttp allowed to post in this Forum? Because you support his racist views, I guess?

Could somebody please do us all a favor and ban Monika already, as has already happened everywhere else she has deigned to post? This comment accusing another poster (and apparently the whole moderating crew) of being racist is just way over the line.

He's a great sumotori (the best in current time) and he behaves like shit. The combination of the two makes a great recipe for hatred. It worked for me.

Works for me too, although "hatred" is a bit too strong in my case. I still love his sumo, but:

1) He's far from being mature and dignified enough for his prestigious rank - he often behaves more like a capricious child than the wise, composed champion a yokozuna should be

2) He's become too dominant and doesn't need my support anymore (might sound like a weird logic to those who like to celebrate the "winners" but I tend to dislike those who win everything, especially when their hunger seems to have no limits)

(Sign of disapproval) What the hell is your problem? Just tell my how you dare to accuse everyone here of racism!

BTW I don't like Asashoryu because of his behavior (like so many), I have nothing against great fighting spirit, but in the heat of the battle Asa forgets himself. In his early days it was often seen how he slapped his opponent who already was lying on the ground. That has changed a bit, but sometimes it looks like he insults his opponents who dared to fight against him. What really was bringing me up was the thing with the kenshohand. I thought (and think): How can someone be so arrogant, what is so hard in using your right?

Edited by Araiwa

(Being unsure...) well done - a full 29 word post - we usually don't get past 3 or 4. (Blinking...)

Bravo again.

seriously i think this topic has been done to death in the last few months.

ryukaze please read back a bit before starting these threads.

Dittos galore.

However, glad to see you are posting in slightly more sensical English - what.

Naa wat I meaaannn bruvvaa! (Being unsure...)

O.k. I think I'm actually starting to get that feeling myself lol yes, very sorry I will try and do better to keep abreast of what has already been posted (although im not a big fan of reading past posts) nonetheless "yoroshiku brudda"! -

Why is this hate-monger Qttp allowed to post in this Forum?  Because you support his racist views, I guess?

Unwarranted accusations like these are not welcome on Sumoforum. You are hereby warned. Further accusations or similar attacks towards other forum members will result in a ban.

I assure everyone the sumoforum staff is not racially prejudiced in any way.

Ok ok.... Ryukaze like myself is a fairly new member to the forum. This forum has been online for a few years already and I have just now found it. I would love to be able to go back through the old topics and read through all of them. Unfortunately, I don't have the time. It is really hard just to keep up with the current topics! All I am asking is can you give us new people a little slack? I have been lucky so far. Some forum members have been kind enough to send me a link from past discusssions that answerd my questions. I thank them for their help! (Applauding...)

Edited by Whitney

From what I have seen at least I can understand how his manner can be easily misinterpreted (especially by native japanese). Arrragant? perhaps, over confident? perhaps, misinterpreted japanese from a non-native speaker? perhaps, the fact that he is a gaijin Yokozuna even? perhaps, more than likely all of the above?

I cannot speak for the Japanese, but I don't think it's mainly a matter of whether you are Japanese or not. Human behaviour and how it is perceived by other humans is a universal thing, or so I believe ... The self-confident attitude of Asashoryu appeals to some, while others find him cocky and arrogant.

Ok ok.... Ryukaze like myself is a fairly new member to the forum. This forum has been online for a few years already and I have just now found it. I would love to be able to go back through the old topics and read through all of them. Unfortunately, I don't have the time. It is really hard just to keep up with the current topics! All I am asking is can you give us new people a little slack? I have been lucky so far. Some forum members have been kind enough to send me a link from past discusssions that answerd my questions. I thank them for their help! (Applauding...)

Cannot do more than agree there, mate.

If Asashoryu had a Taiho or Takanohana against him to even things out, to balance it so to speak, then we would not talk about him so much. Let

If Asashoryu had a Taiho or Takanohana against him to even things out, to balance it so to speak, then we would not talk about him so much. Let
Edited by Jonosuke

Guest Okamisan

Hello mina-san (Whistling...) I'm curious...

My understanding is that, in order to become a Yokozuna you must not only achieve a good win record but also demonstrate your dedication, leadership, and respect for the sport. This is to say that you excel not only in Sumo but that your behavior is appropriate at all times and that you will make a good role model for the younger wrestlers, and for gaijin-san, that you understand and practice the Japanese way of life.

So did Asashoryu always behave this way?

I remember Akebono before he made Yokozuna. He was pretty respectful and courteous, hard-working, etc. Once he made Yokozuna I think he became overly cocky and somewhat lazy (didn't practice as much). And now we all know where he is now... (Applauding...) (Sign of disapproval)

I heard that Asashoryu is dangerous on the dohyo (opponents are at risk of physical injuries because he is rough). Is this true?

I would love to be able to go back through the old topics and read through all of them. Unfortunately, I don't have the time. It is really hard just to keep up with the current topics! 

You can always use the thread search button at the top of the forum page. This is a very handy tool to see if a topic you want to discuss, or need information on, has been talked about in the past. It's a gold mine for those seeking information. (Applauding...)

Edited by Zentoryu

Could somebody please do us all a favor and ban Monika already, as has already happened everywhere else she has deigned to post? This comment accusing another poster (and apparently the whole moderating crew) of being racist is just way over the line.

Is this the same "Lady" I got into a flame with on the BSML?

I meant to ask before!

You can always use the thread search button at the top of the forum page. This is a very handy tool to see if a topic you want to discuss, or need information on, has been talked about in the past. It's a gold mine for those seeking information. :-/

Thank you for the info. I will try and remember to do that. I can't make any promises... the older I get the less I remember... (Bouncing group)

seems kind of unfair to deny other members of the forum a conversation, or topic because you have already had the conversation.

Maybe you should make a rule that only "senior" members should be allowed to start threads, since they would be the best informed about what has, or has not been talked about before.

seems kind of unfair to deny other members of the forum a conversation, or topic because you have already had the conversation.

Err, conversations typically require several people. And if all the senior forum members (who, let's face it, make up the large majority of the most prolific posters) don't feel like talking about a subject because it's been discussed to death already, there won't be much of a conversation. Doesn't mean you can't try to talk about it, but the thread will probably be pretty short. Nobody's "denying" anybody anything here, unless you're saying that certain posters here have a responsibility to spend their time talking about something they don't want to talk about? Sorry, but no, that's certainly not how it works.

It does help when newbies realize there was life on this forum before they joined. (Edit: And as far as I can tell, on the whole we're generally pretty understanding of the fact that new forum members can't possibly know everything that has gone on. But when it comes to subjects like everybody's like and dislike of Asashoryu that positively has been talked about at least every other month for the last two years...well. (Applauding...))

:-/

Edited by Asashosakari

Here's my take on why Asashoryu is so hated. Along with excellence on the dohyou, a Yokozuna is expected to express calmness, leadership, and humility. Of course, yokozuna are human too, and dispite expectations many of them cannot fully live up to this standard, Asashoryu, who is still very young, is no exception. Though his behavior is far from the worst among former Yokozuna, and most of the people who hate him have done the same kind of stuff in their lives. The tabliod media is on Asashoryu's case more than his predecessors, and many people are too easily infulenced by the media.

Another reason why he is hated is that everyone has their own favorite rikishi, and they watch as Asashoryu decimates them. Nobody likes seeing that.

Edited by Jesinofuji

Here's my take on why Asashoryu is so hated. Along with excellence on the dohyou, a Yokozuna is expected to express calmness, leadership, and humility. Of course, yokozuna are human too, and dispite expectations many of them cannot fully live up to this standard, Asashoryu, who is still very young, is no exception. Though his behavior is far from the worst among former Yokozuna, and most of the people who hate him have done the same kind of stuff in their lives. The tabliod media is on Asashoryu's case more than his predecessors, and many people are too easily infulenced by the media.

Another reason why he is hated is that everyone has their own favorite rikishi, and they watch as Asashoryu decimates them. Nobody likes seeing that.

Though I sympathise with the sentiment, I disagree with the logic that (nearly) everyone else, yokozuna and mere mortals alike, have been bad - so it's ok for Asashoryu. The *hinkaku* requirement for yokozuna is no secret - all who aspire to the role know what it's all about well beforehand. This, and other bits of *reigi* are what separate Ozumo from the NBA. And as far as tabloids devoting more ink to 'Shoryu than former yokozuna, could you give us something concrete please? Usually, Newtonian laws apply - for ever action... (Applauding...)

Has there ever been a Yokozuna who fulfilled the requirements to perfection? I don't think, really there ever has been. Some drank, some were bossy, some had problems with women, some tended to get into fights. Some were "brainwashed" some were too passive....so on and so on.

Maybe the real meaning behind this hinkaku thing is in the journey, not in the destination?

Not that I wish to contradict Otokonoyama. I do in fact agree that Asashoryu's behavior has in many instances, seemed to go directly against what he is supposed to aspire to as a yokozuna.

I have been kind of on the fence about him. I like that he is, uhh, "assertive" on the dohyo, and that he is spectacularly talented.

I dislike that I get the feeling he is in it for the money, or for some other, less than "pure" reason, occasionally. Revenge isn't a good color for a mawashi, I guess.

But all in all, he seems to be a good guy overall. Not perfect, by any stretch, but pretty good. I think he didn't come up as a member of a sumo society, or as an "insider" of sorts in the sumo world. He started sumo as a somewhat fully developed person, from a different background than, say, Takanohana, who probably got a kesho-mawashi for his second birthday.

None of that excuses Asashoryu's behavior, but then, he's just a guy, you know.

I don't support Asashoryu because he doesn't need it.

OK, his less-than-perfect behaviour helps, but even if he was ideal of yokozuna personified I wouldn't support him - it's no fun. It's "easy" to cheer for the top man in any sport, and I've "overgrown" that phase (heh, I was a huge Prost fan in his heyday, when I was some 6-8 years old). In many of my favorite sports I tended to go for the noble underdogs: in F1 (I stopped watching it now) I cheered for Alesi-Berger duo in Ferrari, in ski-jumping my heart was conquered by the unlucky Happy Harada, struggling Norge team and never-the-bride Ahonen... Schmidt and Hanni just kept getting on my nerves. (Applauding...) So naturally, in sumo I cheer for the wierdest combo of veterans, small guys, cuddly guys and unlucky guys - and Asashoryu isn't in any of the categories (except maybe small).