Sign in to follow this  
Faustonowaka

Extra maegashira slot

Just wondering.

Will there be an extra maegashira slot (m17 West) because of Musoyama's retirement?

Short answer: Yes, possibly.

Longer answer: It depends on how many Komusubi and Sekiwake we'll have next basho. In the unlikely-looking case that either Wakanosato or Miyabiyama goes make-koshi (and nobody except Tochiazuma qualifies for the 2nd Sekiwake slot), we could even see a M18e. Likewise, it's possible that we'll end up with 3 Sekiwake and 3 Komusubi next basho in which case the banzuke will go down only to M17e just like now.

The next Banzuke is going to be very interesting. But of course, aren't they all? (Eh?)

True, a very interesting banzuke coming up

-how many yokozuna? 1 or 2

-how many ozeki? 1 or 2

-how many sekiwake? 2 or 3

-how many komusubi? 2 or 3

-how many maegashira? 33, 34 or 35?

I dare anyone to take a correct guess!! (Eh?)

True, a very interesting banzuke coming up

-how many yokozuna? 1 or 2

-how many ozeki? 1 or 2

-how many sekiwake? 2 or 3

-how many komusubi? 2 or 3

-how many maegashira? 33, 34 or 35?

I dare anyone to take a correct guess!! :-P

Ok Ok... I will take a guess here....

Yokozuna = 1 (Although I am rooting for Kaio!)

Ozeki = 2

Sekiwake = 3

Komusubi = 2

Maegashira = 34

Wow... I hope I get them right......

Whitney

(I was stupid...)

And just to make things even more messy, I'll raise the possibility of having 4 Komusubi in case the current two get KK and both Hakuho and somebody else (Iwakiyama or Kotonowaka presumably) put up the necessary wins for promotion. Or maybe Hakuho gets 12+ wins and goes all the way to Sekiwake, in which case we might have 4 of those...

Edited by Asashosakari

And just to make things even more messy, I'll raise the possibility of having 4 Komusubi in case the current two get KK and both Hakuho and somebody else (Iwakiyama or Kotonowaka presumably) put up the necessary wins for promotion. Or maybe Hakuho gets 12+ wins and goes all the way to Sekiwake, in which case we might have 4 of those...

How many years has it been since their were even three Komusubi? It seems like a long time... I see three for the 2000 Natsu tournament. (I was stupid...)

Edited by Whitney

How many years has it been since their were even three Komusubi? It seems like a long time... I see three for the 2000 Natsu tournament. (Blinking...)

That was the last time, yes.

Are 4 Sekiwake possible? Tochiazuma will be sekiwake for sure, Wakanosato and Miyabiyama will likely get kachi-koshi and Kotomitsuki and Hakuho could get enough wins for a sekiwake promotion. Kotomitsuki already won against Wakanosato and Kaiou and lost to Asashoryu, so he got quite good prospects this basho.

12 sanyaku (on several occasions) looks to be the most

By the way, would it be possible for Wakanosato to earn Ozeki-promotion if he finishes this basho with eg. 13-2 and Kaio gets the tsuna?

Edited by Faustonowaka

doesnt he need 33 wins in 3 bashos? i dont think he had high kachi-koshi (8-7 if i remember correctly?) 2 bashos ago, and last basho he had 10 wins... so he cant be promoted to ozeki after this basho. I think that he got good chances next basho, he should get 10 or 11 Wins this one...

Yes, I know he won't have enough wins, but if I believe there were promotions in the past when there was a "need" for Ozeki. (eg. Onokuni in 1986)

And when Wakanosato gets 13 wins this tournament it gives him 31 over 3 basho (8-7, 10-4, 13-2) + he's been a solid Sanyaku rikishi over the past few years.

doesnt he need 33 wins in 3 bashos? i dont think he had high kachi-koshi (8-7 if i remember correctly?) 2 bashos ago, and last basho he had 10 wins... so he cant be promoted to ozeki after this basho. I think that he got good chances next basho, he should get 10 or 11 Wins this one...

I agree. He could possibly have an outside chance with a 14-1 yusho, but short of that (and possibly even in that case) the Kyokai will probably see if he can have another good basho before he can get promoted. I personally don't think he will be promoted with 13-2, even if there is only one Ozeki.

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

What's the highest number of Sanyaku ever recorded?

I think it's 15, reached in Aki and Kyushu 1961. If I'm not mistaken, it has never been higher than 12 again since the mid-1960s, though.

Edited by Asashosakari

4 Yokozuna in those Banzuke... If all of them won two basho in a row to reach there, they must have got there in quick succession.

4 Yokozuna in those Banzuke... If all of them won two basho in a row to reach there, they must have got there in quick succession.

The yokozuna promotion standards were more relaxed then. The standards changed when Onokuni performed pretty poorly as a Yokozuna and Futahaguro was forced to leave sumo after some violent actions. Asahifuji had to wait a lot longer to be promoted as a result. The Kyokai was pretty tough on him and has been pretty tough since. You probably knew that already. Sorry for stating the obvious.... :-|

Edited by Whitney

Your logic is heavily flawed. How on earth was it possible for Akebono, Takanohana, Wakanohana and Musashimaru to be Yokozuna at the same time? It was NOT a quick sucession but a rather longish succession of the four. Which just shows that this is easily possible without looking back too far.

Oops... wasn't thinking too much when I posted that was I? (Applauding...)

Coming back to the original subject, i would say, that the exact number of M-slots is not important.

More important is, how many will go from Juryo to Makuuchi and vice versa. And with the retirement of Musoyama there will be one more up than down.

Coming back to the original subject, i would say, that the exact number of M-slots is not important.

More important is, how many will go from Juryo to Makuuchi and vice versa. And with the retirement of Musoyama there will be one more up than down.

If you are thinking in terms of the number, it may not be but if you are more into "who" it could be, then there could be an implication.

If a lower echelon rikishi with a 6-9 or 7-8 record to stay in Maku or drop to Juryo, well it could come into a picture if there is one more slot at the bottom of Maku because it means a demotion or hanging on.

I tried googling for this, but I can't find the right key-words...

When is the next expansion of makuuchi and juryo ranks due? Is it from Hatsu 2005?

I tried googling for this, but I can't find the right key-words...

When is the next expansion of makuuchi and juryo ranks due? Is it from Hatsu 2005?

There is no expansion due, since there never was any expansion scheduled.. Where did you hear about that?

Well... when kosho was abolished and expansions of ranks announced, I got the impression that they would add 2 maku+2 juryo now (2004) then some more and some more until they reach the new final size for both divisions. It is possible I got it wrong. (In a state of confusion...)