Sign in to follow this  
Kishinoyama

Musoyama

I just wanted to know what you all think of Musoyama. It was just posted on a mailing list that he had retired. To me he was an average Ozeki but I will miss him. What are your thoughts? (Eh?)

(Oops! ) Thank you thank you... I relised their is another discussion page...... thanks to your help! (Applauding...)

Was never a big fan, then again never really had anything against the brutha, won a yusho at least but I do think its about time for him to step down ( I think he feels his ozeki tenure is about up so...) Gotta give a boy his props though! "Yeeeeeeaaaaaaah" lol! - Ryu

Guest The old chief

I have watched Musoyama for a few years now and always thought he had the perfect sumo body. He also had the skills and talent to make it to Yokozuna, but he didnt seem to have the fire in the belly like most who make it to the top. His back and shoulder problems over the years also held him back. At least he is getting out while he is still at the top. Goodby to a good, but not great Ozeki.

Jim

Since I started watching sumo, he always has been my favourite rikishi. I will miss him!!

Sayonara, Musoyama-zeki! (Applauding...)

I have watched Musoyama for a few years now and always thought he had the perfect sumo body. He also had the skills and talent to make it to Yokozuna, but he didnt seem to have the fire in the belly like most who make it to the top. His back and shoulder problems over the years also held him back. At least he is getting out while he is still at the top. Goodby to a good, but not great Ozeki.

Jim

I agree, but I think he had "the fire in the belly". He needed that fire to keep going and to fight against his injuries.

Farewall Muscleyama

Back in H10 (1998) he had a fantastic punch-up with Chiyotaikai. Nothing but tsuppari & harite (Jumping in ecstasy...) - think he may have even bested the Wolf-cub at his own game (Lifting weights...)

Back in H10 (1998) he had a fantastic punch-up with Chiyotaikai. Nothing but tsuppari & harite (Eating...) - think he may have even bested the Wolf-cub at his own game (Applauding...)

I must have missed this match.... I was still living out in the country.. :-O

Back in H10 (1998) he had a fantastic punch-up with Chiyotaikai.  Nothing but tsuppari & harite (Scratching chin...)  - think he may have even bested the Wolf-cub at his own game :-(

I must have missed this match.... I was still living out in the country.. :-(

If your read the retirement press conference interview and rikishi comments of/on Musoyama (thanks Jonosuke!), Chiyotaikai mentions that bout... :-P

Back in H10 (1998) he had a fantastic punch-up with Chiyotaikai.

As for 'Taikai mentioning the incident in a recent interview, I would like to read that. I must have missed Jonosuke's post but I know I've read each day's Rikishi Talk this tournament (thanks again, Joe). If someone could direct me to it, I'd appreciate it. Even to reply here with the quote or the link would be fine.

Here you go.

I remember that bout well. The match lasted 35 seconds and there was nothing but harite. Musoyama had blood on his mouth and surely on his hands also. He did beat 'Taikai at his own game. The match ended when Chiyotaikai, his back against the tawara, finally turned his head after a particularly painful blow and Muso-zeki seized the opportunity to turn him the rest of the way around and out.

This sounds kind of like the Tochiazuma Vs Asashoryu match from maybe 3 years ago? Tochiazuma's nose looked like it was broken and was bleeding heavily. :-D The match was stopped. Tochiazuma came back, after being patched up, and WON! He got my (Spooky TV program...) that day! I was rooting for him to become a Yokozuna but repeated injuries have put an end to that hope, for now.

Edited by Whitney

This sounds kind of like the Tochiazuma Vs Asashoryu match from maybe 3 years ago? Tochiazuma's nose looked like it was broken and was bleeding heavily. :-O The match was stopped. Tochiazuma came back, after being patched up, and WON! He got my (Blowing up furiously...) that day! I was rooting for him to become a Yokozuna but repeated injuries have put an end to that hope, for now.

? How did I miss that one?!? Now that I am reduced to following the tournaments by internet I don't always get around to viewing all the matches (thanks Dale for making it possible for me to do that at a reasonable hour). Even if I hadn't seen the match, surely I would've remembered reading about such a bloody battle amongst top guys. Perhaps I was just extraordinarily stressed and busy at that time. I haven't missed a tournament since Aki 1997 but sometimes I guess I only have time to skim the results and make my picks and so I miss the interesting details.

Once again, if someone could pinpoint the tournament where that epic Tochiazuma/Asashoryu battle occured, I would appreciate it.

Thanks to Jonosuke for posting the information I requested on the SML this morning and to Asashosakari for providing the link here.

Once again, if someone could pinpoint the tournament where that epic Tochiazuma/Asashoryu battle occured, I would appreciate it.

Thanks to Jonosuke for posting the information I requested on the SML this morning and to Asashosakari for providing the link here.

Sumo Movies

Hatsu Basho 2002

Day 4

This is the link. The match is in 4 parts at the bottom of the page.

http://www.banzuke.com/~movies/hatsu2002/040102mov.html

Edited by Whitney

Tochiazuma's nose looked like it was broken and was bleeding heavily.

? How did I miss that one?!?

I don't remember if his nose was actually broken as my memory on this is rather hazy and at this hour (almost midnight) I am not about run out to streets devouring all sumo archives but I recall Tochiazuma that time had a tendency to bleed from his nose.

I think it was something to do with a little injury he suffered during training or something and there was a cut or tenderness in there so everytime he got hit on his face, he sort of bled like a character from Scary Movies ...