Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

Ozeki Musoyama Retires!

Ozeki Musoyama announced his retirement and to assume Fujishima Toshiyori.

He will be instructing young recruits at Musashigawa Beya.

More to follows.

Edited by Jonosuke

ohhhhh.... *sigh* (Eh?) (Laughing...) (Laughing...) :-P :-P :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

Knowing it could happen doesn't makes this less sad :-(

(Oops! ) I posted a new topic on Musoyama in a different discussion link. I hope I don't get into trouble... If that makes sense.... Anyway... I will miss him. I wish him well as Fujishima. (Eh?)

So much for those of us who expected him to go on at least one or two more bouts before making the decision to retire. Still, not terribly unexpected. ;-)

(Applauding...)

The changing of the guard continues.

Another one of the stars of the late 90's steps aside.

So does this mean the change of the old guard has begun? (Applauding...) Had it started already and I missed it? ;-)

Ozeki Musoyama, 32, came down to the training dohyo wearing a kimono rather than the usual mawashi and just watched over his heya's junior rikishis this morning.

"I've decided to retire last night after talking to the oyakata. When you can't win, you should be decisive and come to a conclusion. I have no regret at all. Right now I feel

relieved," Musoyama said.

Talking about his performance this year when he repeated one Kadoban after another, he said, "I wasn't fulfilling the role of an Ozeki and kept repeating Kadoban....my sumo was absolutely appaling, I felt I have been disgrace to the fans."

The last straw came on the previous day when he was thrown out by Kokkai. In the four meetings with Kokkai, Musoyama could not win even once against this 24 year old power rikishi from Georgia. "I've put out everything I had. My strong point has been always power but I have been totally overwhelmed so that made me convince it was the time to go. My body simply could no longer catch up to my will."

It's been one year since Yokozuna Musashimaru retired and Musashigawa oyakata is now witnessing another of his beloved recruits leaving the dohyo. "Last night he came to see me and told me, 'I cannot move anymore. I've reached the physical limit and could not compete anymore.' He has been suffering so many injuries lately that he must have been feeling quite dreadful."

Musoyama's Retirement Press conference is scheduled to be held at a hotel in Fukuoka on November 17.

I am glad Musoyama decided not to linger. He understood, unlike some other recent rikishi, once you have lost the desire or your body can not do the job anymore, it is best to make a clean exit. I am (Applauding...) him! The best thing he said was, "I have no regrets".

More Talks:

Musoyama

--------------

"Last night I've consulted with my oyakata (Musashigawa oyakata) and made the decision. I still have a will to continue but I can no longer perform physically. I don't believe I declined or lost so much strength but I cannot win. I was not producing the results fitting for Ozeki when I kept getting Kadoban and Kachikoshi bashos. I realize there is no other way but I do feel a sense of loss when I know I can no longer compete in sumo with all the intensity.

Musashigawa Oyakata (former Yokozuna Mienoumi)

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Last night I have been told by him, he could no longer move and reached his physical limit and wanted to retire. I told him perhaps he could try a little bit more. But once one makes up his mind, one can no longer compete anymore. He has accomplished so much . He did have significant injury problems but he did get promoted to Ozeki.

Kitanoumi Oyakata (former Yokozuna)

--------------------------------------------

"Musoyama was considered to be a Yokozuna and he did his best but he has been injured often once he was promoted to Ozeki. I believe he has fulfilled the reponsibility of Ozeki."

So does this mean the change of the old guard has begun?
Edited by Asashosakari

Yep.. it seems like I missed it... (Applauding...) I had not thought about it starting that far back....

Farewell Musoyama, I'll miss him despite his bad perfomances in the last bashos... :'-( Retiring is the best thing he could do, maybe a bit too late though...

Everyone saw this coming, of course, but still I feel sad... (Sad goodbyes...)

What else can I say? I takes a lot of determination to decide to withdraw when you can still hold on for a few bashos, having in mind the small size of the top ranks in sumo. However, the fans wanted it and sometims you gotta do what the public wants...Go Fujishima Toshiyori (Sad goodbyes...)

What else can I say? I takes a lot of determination to decide to withdraw when you can still hold on for a few bashos, having in mind the small size of the top ranks in sumo. However, the fans wanted it and sometims you gotta do what the public wants...Go Fujishima Toshiyori (Sad goodbyes...)

I just realized Toshiyori means "the older one." Is that his real new name or you were just joking?

He went as gracefully as he could. Good for him.

Farewell, yakuza-boy...

I just realized Toshiyori means "the older one." Is that his real new name or you were just joking?

No, he is assuming "the Fujishima toshiyori", i.e. taking on the elder name "Fujishima". Presumably his full name as oyakata will be Fujishima Masashi.

I cheer for his achievements and applaud to his will to contest for so many years. Let the force be with U and all the best for him in the future! (Sad goodbyes...)

Let the force be with U and all the best for him in the future! (Blinking...)

What does Kaio have to do with Musoyama's retirement? (Eh?) Oh, right... :-D

Anyway, thank you and happy oyakata days, Musoyama. (Sad goodbyes...)

Goodbye Musoyama :'-(

All the best for your future as Fujishima oyakata.

Does this mean a transfer of Fujishima toshiyori from the Nishonoseki ichimon to the Dewanoumi ichimon?

Are those tears in Muso's eyes? (Depressed...) Poor guy.

I really didn't expect it... (Lifting weights...) He will be missed. But he is very lucid to retire now with a bit of honor. I admire his carrier, and his style: I have never seen him doing a henka!!!

Dejima is badly hurt, Musoyama retires, is it the end of the "Musashigawa Era" ( with Musashimaru and Co)? I'm afraid yes... (Depressed...)

I have nothing to add. (Jumping in ecstasy...)

He's a man of integrity and heart, trying to push on but knowing when to finally quit. Good for him, I hope he has a long and healthy life, and hopefully some good rikishi to train (Jumping in ecstasy...)