Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O - Nagoya 2024

Posted (edited)

Terunofuji faced 8 guys from makushita today. He did not respond to the press. He started off with the fundamentals and broke a nice sweatling. He had supporters on both knees and both elbows, checking out his tachiai and his edge of the ring sense. He was seen speaking a lot to his Oyakata. Seeing as he is noticeably favoring his elbows and knees, it will be interesting to see how he deals with this.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Takakeishou being his usual snarky self. "9th kadoban? What has that got to do with anything? I can only concentrate on myself.." he said. His neck injury has not gone away. He has yet to do any sumo training. Shiko, teppole, and suriashi are all he can manage for now. "He still needs to really be careful about hitting with the head, " said his Master. He will become 28 in a month or so. "I've been in full control of myself. My condition isn't that bad," he insisted. He is planning on going for degeiko. We shall see if his Ozeki stubbornness will help him somehow turn things around, says the reporter.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Terunofuji trained at Tatsunami beya today and faced Hiradoumi, going 9-2. "It's as usual.. I'm getting better slowly, I guess.. I've been training well. I hope to face all kinds of rivals in training- it is vitally important to move one's body, " he summed.

• Like 8

Houshouryuu went for degeiko at Sakaigawa beya. 18 bouts against the likes of Hiradoumi and Kirishima, winning 12. "It was good keiko.. I intend to continue this way. I really want to yusho.. I shall be careful not to get injured.." he said. He tsuriotoshied Hiradoumi twice. "That felt good.." he added. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ozeki Kotozakura trained at home against visiting Ouhou and others. 12 bouts, 9 wins. "All I can do is give it my all as usual. If I win the yusho, the future will be clearer, again," he waxed philosophically. He was seen wearing a sock on his left foot. "I sprained it a bit," he admitted. He had no taping on when he did sumo and there was no obvious problem with his movements. His Oyakata/dad explained that because of the extreme heat, Kotozakura was doing a lot fewer bouts to prevent heatstroke. "It's important he wins despite the heat.. He's got to get through 15 days of battles, you know.." summed Sadogatake Oyakata.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Yokozuna Terunofuji trained at home today- 9 bouts against Nishikifuji and others. No talking to strange reporters later. Both knees and both elbows taped up. Fundamentals, then some bouts checking out stuff, then explaining how to stay in the dohyo when being pushed back to some Makushita rikishi. "He is doing what he can.." said the Oyakata.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Kadoban Takakeishou has announced he will be entering Nagoya. He trained at home yesterday, fundamentals only. He suffered from heatstroke symptoms these last few days and was not well and did not do any sumo. "No problem. I can only gambarize as I head into the basho. At this point, there ain't no use in hurrying things. I've been doing my best these last two months," he said. "It's going to be an unrehearsed show.. The neck is still a problem, so all he can do is get ready while keeping an eye on it.." said his Oyakata.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, I am the Yokozuna said:

Heatstroke and just carrying on - this does not sound ok even for sumo world. 

Ozumo lost a couple of Yokozuna to acute appendicitis back in the day - because complaining about stomac pain was beneath them. 

Heatstroke is nothing in comparison. 

38 minutes ago, I am the Yokozuna said:

Heatstroke and just carrying on - this does not sound ok even for sumo world. 

"Just carrying on" by Takakeisho's standards these days simply consists of having breakfast.

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

"Just carrying on" by Takakeisho's standards these days simply consists of having breakfast.

It’s boiled chicken breast and broccoli 

2 hours ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

It’s boiled chicken breast and broccoli 

That'll be his post-career diet and he'll stun us all by transforming into a svelte, trim man. 

Isegahama Oyakata has declared that Yokozuna Terunofuji is in for Nagoya. "He will participate. He has been training, aiming for that. He has not done sufficient keiko, but he has a strong sense of responsibility," said the Oyakata. Today, he trained with Takarafuji and was 8-1. Not only was he using his favorite right hand grip, but he trained against Takarafuji's left hand grip as well, knowing he will be facing left hand grip guys in the early stages of the basho, and was seen overwhelming Takarafuji regardless. He will be resting tomorrow, so that will be it for training  for Terunofuji. "My condition is as usual. In any case, we won't know till I try, yes?" he said later. "I expect him to do his best and to properly go all the way while aiming for the yusho. Otherwise what?" summed Isegahama Oyakata.

Chatting with the Fallen From Grace:

202407110000365-w500_0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We can already start guessing how many days Terunofuji lasts until he goes kyujo. I'm thinking not more than 5.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dingo said:

We can already start guessing how many days Terunofuji lasts until he goes kyujo. I'm thinking not more than 5.

What are the odds that this will be his last tournament? 

48 minutes ago, Kishinoyama said:

I've been assuming for a while that if he wins another tournament it will be his last - although he may not retire immediately if there's some reason to stay on the banzuke. If he can't win this one, he may as well stick it out for another chance probably early next year (barring any catastrophic worsening of injury).

1 hour ago, Kishinoyama said:

I think he will stay till there is a new Yokozuna.

19 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I think he will stay till there is a new Yokozuna.

Fingers crossed!

(...I'm thinking about everything at sumogames.de of course...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Not only was he using his favorite right hand grip, but he trained against Takarafuji's left hand grip as well, knowing he will be facing left hand grip guys in the early stages of the basho, and was seen overwhelming Takarafuji regardless.

If he can beat Takarafuji with even the left hand ... he can beat anybody!

:-D what can possibly go wrong ! :-D

• Haha 2