Akinomaki

Natsu 2024 discussion (results)

Onosato showed today that not only is he big, not only is he really strong, not only is he skillful, but he's also really, really fast. That side step was lightning quick. Dancer's feet.

2 hours ago, dingo said:

Nishikigi did a Shodai on Shodai, looking somewhat better than at the beginning of the basho.

My impression, too.  Again, Shodai learns nothing.

2 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Maybe this is one for the trivia thread, but how often have the grandsons of two different yokozuna met in the musubi-no-ichiban?

Related to that, I count four relatives of former rikishi currently in Makuuchii: Hoshoryu, Kotozakura, Oho, and Sadanoumi.  Are there any others?

23 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Related to that, I count four relatives of former rikishi currently in Makuuchii: Hoshoryu, Kotozakura, Oho, and Sadanoumi.  Are there any others?

The Onami brothers are the grandsons of a rikishi. 

• Thanks 1

On 18/05/2024 at 05:43, Benihana said:

Really?

On 18/05/2024 at 05:55, Athenayama said:

I didn't know of them.... (Laughing...)

Generational difference?  I definitely thought space invader.  And then I started channeling this song from the Dr. Demento show back in the day:

In googling for this song, I had no idea so many songs had been inspired by the game!

Nishikigi used to be a poor man's Shodai, but the roles between those two really are more fluid by the day.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Shimanoumi a juryo yusho contender???

Times have changed - now we have to fear he gets promoted to makuuchi with a 12-3 - 13-2 will certainly do it. Endo is flawless so far, but he has yet to meet Shimanoumi. His wife would like to become Izutsu-beya okamisan, for that he'll have to inherit Kise-beya first, in 10 years - so he's appealing to the oyakata now that he'll be the right one.

Edited by Akinomaki

50 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

His wife would like to become Izutsu-beya okamisan, [...]

I wonder if he is a happy hubby...

That dynasty stuff can be quite hard. I wonder if Kakuryu kinda declined to marry the shishos daughter...

Why oh why did Shodai think pulling a much smaller Midorifuji nearby the dohyo edge is a good idea? Shodai did seem to run out of ideas (or power). Very much a self inflicted loss.

Ura unfortunately lacked the strength to finish off Takanosho and once he was on the defensive didn't have much time to pull off an escape trick. Gotta wonder if this time Ura chose the wrong strategy. Basically Ura started losing as soon as someone here mentioned yusho -- this forum really has a jinxing power. 

No mono-ii for Atamifuji vs Daieisho? Seemed awfully close to me, even if Daieisho was falling backwards. They seemed to touch the ground at the same time. 

Oh my, Hiradoumi is on fire! This is the one time when Onosato's height worked against him allowing Hiradoumi to get in under him. 

And Kotozakura almost fell to the same mistake Onosato made, doing an even more passive tachiai and allowing Onosho to get under him. But Onosho wasn't as careful to keep close so Kotozakura had a chance for a well timed throw. That must've been uncomfortably close to a loss though. And did he do a hairpull? 

Wow, Takayasu just schooled Hoshoryu in swagger, showing how to do a staredown and back it up with real skill. I don't mean to say that Hoshoryu doesn't have real skill, but seems to me his staredown antics usually don't end very well for him. 

It seems to be between Kotozakura and Onosato now. Meaning, I don't believe anyone else can avoid one or more loss and I don't want to see another 11-4 yusho... 

• Like 2

Mitakeumi did a bit more than dead-leg himself yesterday then, if today's blatant henka was anything to go by. Just when he seemed to be on the up, too...

Midorifuji's straight-on sumo against much larger opponents is just something else when it works as it did against Shodai today.

I've noticed Hiradoumi is amazingly quick at the tachi-ai; too quick for even rapid-reaction Onosato to get a handle on today.

I loved Takayasu's 'Yeah, yeah, yeah. I can do this all day, kid' response to Hoshoryu's stare-down attempt, as well as his subsequent trouncing of the ozeki.

Hiradoumi's reaction was quick. It looked like he went as Onosato was still lowering his second hand.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Bittersweet situation around the sekitori border. Two young hopefuls have already got what would normally be the required amount of wins to gain juryo promotion for the first time, and there's many others still in with a chance. But only Oh Show Me and His Roundness are looking like they're headed for a demotion - save for implosions around them.

Edited by Koorifuu

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Koorifuu said:

Bittersweet situation around the sekitori border. Two young hopefuls have already got what would normally be the required amount of wins to gain juryo promotion for the first time, and there's many others still in with a chance. But only Oh Show Me and His Roundness are looking like they're headed for a demotion - save for implosions around them.

Six days to go, Kazekeno still needs 4 wins, several others need 2 or 3, and some of them have looked pretty rough. Guessing there'll be a spot for anyone who earns one.

Edited by Reonito

I think we are seeing the last of Mitoryu. It looks like he's not able to win a single match anymore, I expect him to call for intai even before the end of the basho.

Someone should have a word with Hoshoryu, his bowing is becoming more and more non-existent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

56 minutes ago, Reonito said:

Six days to go, Kazekeno still needs 4 wins, several others need 2 or 3, and some of them have looked pretty rough. Guessing there'll be a spot for anyone who earns one.

Hakuoho should be going down too, unless he comes back and gets another pyrrhic victory. I wish he'd rather not.

As for Kiryuko, he still has to pump those numbers up, those are rookie numbers.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Oskanohana said:

As for Kiryuko, he still has to pump those numbers up, those are rookie numbers.

Yeah, 4 wins from Ms3e is pretty much exactly a 50-50 proposition (18 non-promotions, 17 promotions in the last ~20 years).

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Reonito said:

Does anyone know if Aonishiki and Kusano ever met as amateurs? @Akinomaki@Katooshu

Not that I know of. Aonishiki didn't compete much in Japan and they are three years apart. 

Edited by Katooshu
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Reonito said:

Does anyone know if Aonishiki and Kusano ever met as amateurs? @Akinomaki@Katooshu

41 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Not that I know of. Aonishiki didn't compete much in Japan and they are three years apart. 

Exactly, he trained at the Kansai university sumo club and was deemed strong enough for the All Japan, but was at no tournament that would have qualified him

On 06/09/2022 at 10:30, Akinomaki said:
On 26/08/2022 at 12:56, Akinomaki said:

Danylo YAVHUSISHYN ダニーロ・ヤブグシシン, 3rd at the 2019 Sumo world junior championships in Sakai in middle weight. He started with sumo age 7 at a local sports club and also does freestyle wrestling

on March 8th he send a mail to Arata Yamanaka, the captain of the Kansai university sumo club in Osaka pref., whom he got acquainted with in Sakai Yamanaka helped him to get a visa as refugee, he came to Japan in mid April and now trains at the club.

His mentor took him to the Nagoya basho where he watched his favorite Wakatakakage live. Yamanaka thinks he is already good enough to reach the best 8 at the All Japan student championships. He wants to go into ozumo as soon as possible, his dream is to reach sanyaku. At age 17 he was European (junior) champion in the below 100kg class.

He was at the national student weight class championships in Sakai - but only as spectator

On 26/09/2022 at 20:13, Akinomaki said:

Danylo was not seen at the basho, but at this weekend's national student weight class championships in Sakai - by a reporter of Nikkan sports.

202209250001989-w200_0.jpgo

nothing else new about him though, neither talks about a heya nor about university - if he wants to enter the All Japan student championships in November in the kokugikan, he needs to be enrolled: could still be possible to start somewhere in October - as ryugakusei he could, the usual start is April

He wanted to join ozumo as quickly as possible and joined the heya in January 2023 - no time for an amateur career in Japan, and when he was a junior at the world championships, Kusano already was an adult

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

when he was a junior at the world championships, Kusano already was an adult

Thanks, this answers my question. Danylo was also a whole lot lighter as an amateur; it's been quite a transformation.

5 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

But only Oh Show Me and His Roundness are looking like they're headed for a demotion - save for implosions around them.

And Hakuoho if he doesn't come back.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dingo said:

Why oh why did Shodai think pulling a much smaller Midorifuji nearby the dohyo edge is a good idea?

Never mind the two specific participants, I'm not sure I've ever seen a pulldown attempt work from such a close-quartered stance... 

• Like 2