Sign in to follow this  
Manekineko

Forum demographics strike again!

Which group does your mother language belong to?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which group does your mother language belong to?

• Afro-Asiatic: Berber
    • Afro-Asiatic: Chadic
    • Afro-Asiatic: Cushitic
    • Afro-Asiatic: Semitic
    • Altaic*: Japonic
    • Altaic*: Korean
    • Altaic: Mongolian
    • Altaic: Tungusic
    • Altaic: Turkic
    • Austro-Asiatic
    • Basque
    • Caucasian*: Kartvelian
    • Caucasian: Nakh
    • Caucasian: other
    • Dravidian
    • Indo-European: Baltic
    • Indo-European: Celtic
    • Indo-European: Germanic
    • Indo-European: Hellenic
    • Indo-European: Illyric
    • Indo-European: Indian
    • Indo-European: Iranian
    • Indo-European: Romance
    • Indo-European: Slavic
    • Indo-European: Thracian
    • Malayo-Polinesian: Formosan
    • Malayo-Polinesian: Polynesian
    • Malayo-Polinesian: Western
    • Malayo-Polinesian: other
    • Niger-Congo
    • Sino-Tibetan: Sinitic
    • Sino-Tibetan: Southern
    • Sino-Tibetan*: Tai
    • Sino-Tibetan: Tibeto-Burman
    • Uralic: Finnish
    • Uralic: Hungarian
    • Uralic: other
    • Other other

Influx of new members prompted me to start this poll... :-( We had various demografic polls before, but this inovlvs one of my almost-careers: linguistics! (Disclaimer - I am not a linguist, only show unhealthy interest in languages.) Please, choose to which of listed language families and groups your "mother" language belongs to - the language you first used, the one spoken in your family. Below the languages belonging to the poll options are listed - where there were too many ... indicate more languages, which can be found on the link below. Obviously the poll formulation is quite eurocentric, and if some of you find yourself among "Other", I apologise. If you don't know where your language belongs, check the link below, or ask me.

Language groups marked with * are those that some linguists ascribe to different language families. Main source for this poll was http://www.krysstal.com/langfams.html

Afro-Asiatic: Berber - Tuareg...

Afro-Asiatic: Chadic - Hausa (Nigeria)

Afro-Asiatic: Cushitic - Somali...

Afro-Asiatic: Semitic - Arabic, Aramaic, Hebrew, Maltese...

Altaic*: Japonic - Japanese

Altaic*: Korean - Korean

Altaic: Mongolian - Buryat, Kalmyk, Mongolian

Altaic: Tungusic - Evenki, Lamut, Manchu, Nanai, Sibo

Altaic: Turkic - Kazakh, Kirghiz, Tatar, Turkish, Turkmen, Uigur, Uzbek...

Austro-Asiatic - Khmer, Mundari, Vietnamese...

Caucasian*: Kartvelian - Georgian...

Caucasian: Nakh - Chechen, Ingush, Tsova-Tush

Caucasian: other - Abkhaz-Adyghean and Daghestanian languages

Dravidian - Brahui, Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu...

Indo-European: Baltic - Latvian and Lithuanian

Indo-European: Celtic - Breton, Irish, Manx, Scottish, Welsh

Indo-European: Germanic - Dutch, English, German, Skandinavian languages...

Indo-European: Hellenic - Modern Greek

Indo-European: Romance - Castellan and Catallan Spanish, French, Italian, Portugese, Romanian...

Indo-European: Slavic - Bulgarian, Czech, Polish, Russian, Slovakian, Ukrainian, languages from ex-Yugoslavia...

Indo-European: Illyric - Albanian

Indo-European: Thracian - Armenian

Indo-European: Iranian - Baluchi, Farsi, Kurdish, Ossetian, Pashto, Tadzhik

Indo-European: Indian - Bengali, Hindi, Romany, Sinhalese, Urdu...

Malayo-Polinesian: Formosan - Amis, Atayal, Paiwan, Tsou

Malayo-Polinesian: Polynesian - Hawaiian, Maori, Rapa Nui, Samoan, Tahitian, Tongan...

Malayo-Polinesian: Western - Balinese, Indonesian, Javanese, Malay, Sundanese, Tagalog

Malayo-Polinesian: other - Melanesian (ie. Fijian) and Micronesian (ie. Marshallese) languages

Niger-Congo - many, many African languages

Sino-Tibetan: Sinitic - Cantonese, Mandarin and other Chinese languages

Sino-Tibetan: Southern - Miao, She, Yao

Sino-Tibetan*: Tai - Lao, Tai...

Sino-Tibetan: Tibeto-Burman - Burmese, Tibetan...

Uralic: Finnish - Estonian, Finnish, Sami...

Uralic: Hungarian - Hungarian, Ostyak, Vogul

Uralic: other - Samoyed languages and Yukaghir

Other families

Nubian, Masai, Hottentot, Bushmen, numerous language families of American tribes, Guinean and Australian languages, Ainu, Chukchi-Kamchatkan...

By all the rights Basque should also be classified as "Other", but I think as a local European puzzle it deserves a place on its own.

Edited by Manekineko

Now, how I managed to vote Polynesian escapes me. :-(

Studied linguistics so want to ask where you truly rank English - that stew of stews?

Germanic - so much is not?

Went for the vote anyhows

Studied linguistics so want to ask where you truly rank English - that stew of stews?

Germanic - so much is not?

Went for the vote anyhows

Ay, English did get a lot of baggage elsewhere, but its grammar and syntax is still more-or-less Germanic. You can't seriously claim it to be a Romance language, and the time to invent a whole sub-group for various English languages is yet to come.

You forgot the "Basque" language (Euskali)!!! :-O (Laughing...) But I don't mind, this language is spoken by a very few people... I heard of this language thanks to a famous rugbyman with an odd name (Imanol Harinordoquy (Applauding...) ) and a football player (Bixente Lizarazu)...

Adachinoryu: I am studying German and English, and many words are almost the same... But some words sound French too...

Personnally, my mother language is French so I voted "Romance Languages"...

i guess i am the only one around here that has Greek as a mother language.

but i am rather fluent in English and i am learning Spanish this period.

i tried to study Japanese too for a year but the time needed to REALLY study the language was not available then .... (or now)

Bulgarian is my language and yes, it was Bulgarians who developed the Cyrilic alphabet, not Russian, thank you! (Applauding...)

P.S. Bulgarian belongs to the Slavic language group, by the way

Edited by kotooshu_bulgaria

Other families

Nubian, Masai, Hottentot, Bushmen, numerous language families of American tribes, Guinean and Australian languages, Ainu, Chukchi-Kamchatkan...

...Klingon... (Applauding...)

(1 sp33k l337. (Laughing...))

Lets all take a minute to ponder the phenomenal language skills of the late Harold Williams of New Zealand- the worlds greatest ever linguist.

He spoke over 58 languages fluently! 58! in his well travelled life.

He loved and lived in Russia, met Tolstoy, was friends with the author H G Wells, was foreign editor to "The Times".

He was present an the Treaty of Locarno in 1925 and spoke to everyone present in their native tongue.

58 plus languages! fluently too, staggering when its generally accepted by scholars to be practically impossible for a person to hold fluency in more than 6 languages at one time. He would have been a very handy man to have around!

Harold Williams (Sign of approval) :-D

Funny you mentioned six languages as a practical limit as that's the number my late father's grandmother is said to have mastered more or less fluently. I'd be happy to know one language properly. :-D

Lets all take a minute to ponder the phenomenal language skills of the late Harold Williams of New Zealand- the worlds greatest ever linguist.

He spoke over 58 languages fluently! 58! in his well travelled life.

He loved and lived in Russia, met Tolstoy, was friends with the author H G Wells, was foreign editor to "The Times".

He was present an the Treaty of Locarno in 1925 and spoke to everyone present in their native tongue.

58 plus languages! fluently too, staggering when its generally accepted by scholars to be practically impossible for a person to hold fluency in more than 6 languages at one time. He would have been a very handy man to have around!

Harold Williams (Sign of approval)  :-D

58 languages?!?! That is incredible! I had read of a guy with over 25 (Barry Farber?), but this is more than double that (Enjoying a beer...)

Edited by Otokonoyama

I've just got the information through the link, so it is at least working for me.

BTW, have never heard of Harold Williams before now, even though he was a countryman of mine. Interesting stuff.

Whenever someone talks about Mother Language or Mother Tongue, I think of a friend of mine. She was born and raised in Canada and spoke both English and Japanese as she grew up but after a while being in Canada, her Japanese became rather "broken" but she always said her Mother Tongue was Japanese because that's the language her mother spoke.

There is a lovely essay by Amy Tan, author of Joy Luck Club, on the subject of Mother Tongue. I love it and if you are interested, here's the LINK

*wiping dust*

Well, Indo-European languages are convincingly in the lead, with Germanic family (un)surprisingly dominant.

I voted for "Indo-European: Romance", as I'm brazilian and, thus, a native speaker of portuguese.

It's surprising to me that (at least until now) there are only three of us native speakers of romance languages. (Elenrian, me and (I guess) Phelix?)

I voted for "Indo-European: Romance", as I'm brazilian and, thus, a native speaker of portuguese.

It's surprising to me that (at least until now) there are only three of us native speakers of romance languages. (Elenrian, me and (I guess) Phelix?)

Me, Romance :-P Oh, I

I went with Indo-European: Germanic.... Although I can't speak but maybe a word or two of German.... (Welcome...)

To wrap this demographic poll up - interesting results here!

Of course indo-europeans are in major lead, and even ofcourser :-D large part of them are from Germanic sub-family... Not only because of English speakers, since Germans and Skandinavians are two major powers in Sumo fandom and well represented in this Forum.

Surprise is low vote for Romance languages, especially when compared with Slavic. Possible explanation is that existance of excellent French and Spanish sumo resources means they visit the Forum less, and are probably not that interested in off-topicky stuff like this poll.

Single representatives of IE sub-families: Nishinoshima proudly wields the Celtic flag, and Aderechelsea the Hellenic. But who is the Iranian?

Next most represented group is naturally Uralic, almost evenly split between Finnish and Hungarian sub-groups.

Single vote for Semitic and Japonic sub-families although we certainly have more representatives of each on the Forum.

No vote for Kartvelian - hey, Svanidze?

And finally, one vote for Sinitic, again I don't know who's that.

Oh, the Polynesian is me, misclicking. :-)

Single vote for Semitic and Japonic sub-families although we certainly have more representatives of each on the Forum.

Not to forget Mongolian with 0 votes, a bit misleading as well I guess.

Single representatives of IE sub-families: Nishinoshima proudly wields the Celtic flag, and Aderechelsea the Hellenic. But who is the Iranian?

Tameiki?

Altaic: Mongolian - Buryat, Kalmyk, Mongolian

Very interesting poll, Manekineko. I think Buryat and Kalmyk are Mongolian dialects.(As same as Saechsisch, Berliner dialect, Bayrisch, Schweizer dialects in German language or Southern dialects in USA).

My mother tongue is Mongolian with Buryat dialect, I would say.

Are there any clear definitions for languages and dialects?

Edited by Coo-cook

Tameiki?

No, Anjoboshi ;)

Are there any clear definitions for languages and dialects?

Well, that is a very thin ice... it's hard to draw a border between languages, and it mostly boils down to "Language is a dialect with an army behind it". For example, one of Croatian dialects is more similar to Slovenian then to other two (main) Croatian dialects. I'm sure some Dutch and German dialects fit the description as well, etc.