Sign in to follow this  
Godango

Kotonowaka Ozeki Promotion

4 hours ago, serge_gva said:

Reasonably speaking, is tarnishing the name of a rikishi who has never won a single tournament and never reached the rank of Ozeki really something to be feared?

Not exactly relevant to the conversation at hand.

For what it’s worth, the papers are all reporting the name 琴桜, i.e. using the simplified kanji for sakura, not the 櫻 used by his grandfather. 

As standard, he’ll keep using Kotonowaka for the upcoming jungyō; the change will formally take place upon the release of the Natsu banzuke 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rokudenashi said:

For what it’s worth, the papers are all reporting the name 琴桜, i.e. using the simplified kanji for sakura, not the 櫻 used by his grandfather.

They also report that he takes on the shikona 琴桜 of his grandfather - they simply don't use the old kanji, but he will: it is already written on the akeni of his new, so far unnamed kesho mawashi o

20240309s00005000751000p_view.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

they simply don't use the old kanji

Do you know why that is? I figured the traditional character is still fairly well known, and at least on my Japanese IMEs typing in さくら brings up both characters straight away. 

That akeni also looks rather old…

The newspapers presumably follow some sort of style guide based on the joyo kanji. They seem to be among the strictest followers, since their job is to communicate with the masses

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rokudenashi said:

Do you know why that is? I figured the traditional character is still fairly well known, and at least on my Japanese IMEs typing in さくら brings up both characters straight away. 

That akeni also looks rather old…

The akeni is not old, its just a trick of the light as the very shiny lacquer reflection looks like white-damage.

Here's another picture of a newly made akeni

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2023/12/25/gazo/20231225s00005000554000p.html

And some words with the maker as he made this specific kotozakura akeni (already delivered in early March per the article) https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202403080000587.html

Edited by Tsuchinoninjin
  • Like 3

On 09/03/2024 at 10:21, Akinomaki said:

the akeni in which the kesho mawashi is delivered and transported already has Kotozakura on it, because that can't be changed like the embroidery

The design of a new kesho mawashi with the new name by heya main sponsor Ohban

img_2024032700698.jpg o  

There never was a Kotonowaka bento - at the basho, yokozuna and ozeki have a bento of their own liking named after them. At the Natsu basho the new Kotozakura bento will be on sale.

YAV7UVBLNBLR5A42XQLHXP465M.jpgo

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

There never was a Kotonowaka bento - at the basho, yokozuna and ozeki have a bento of their own liking named after them. At the Natsu basho the new Kotozakura bento will be on sale.

YAV7UVBLNBLR5A42XQLHXP465M.jpgo

The article doesn't state and I'm unfamiliar with Japanese food, what is this? Rice and corn, maybe bacon, pickled veggies, and what looks like caramel?

On 11/05/2024 at 01:44, incognito said:

The article doesn't state and I'm unfamiliar with Japanese food, what is this? Rice and corn, maybe bacon, pickled veggies, and what looks like caramel?

Tama-konnyaku - Yamagata (oyakata home pref.) food like plenty in there maff.go.jp/j/keikaku/syokubunka/k_ryouri/search_menu/menu/tamakonnyaku_yamagata.html

The other ingredients: garlic rice, tare sauce fried pork, stir-fried vegetables, potato salad, boiled hijiki, broccoli and squid in mayonnaise, salty stir-fried fuki (butterbur) and lotus root, boiled pumpkin, kinpira gobo

GNWRhkHbkAAvDDE.jpg:large

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/05/2024 at 23:33, Akinomaki said:

There never was a Kotonowaka bento […]

I guess they will have a fashion line in the pipeline instead...

That, or tents.

9 hours ago, yorikiried by fate said:
On 10/05/2024 at 23:33, Akinomaki said:

There never was a Kotonowaka bento […]

I guess they will have a fashion line in the pipeline instead...

No, that name will soon be forgotten, so ...