Sign in to follow this  
808morgan

Futagoyama Beya YouTube channel is great

I have been watching these guys for a little while and wondered if anyone here was watching, maybe my search skills are bad but I didn't see anything posted. Anyway, if you can't speak Japanese they have captions on youtube, it's really fun to watch and get to know everyone more. They show a lot of cooking as well if you are interested in that.

https://www.youtube.com/@futagoyama-sumofood

More about them:

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnSumoDataSumoBeya/detail/28/

Edited by 808morgan
misspelling
  • Like 7

I've really enjoyed the candid take on stable life. It's very different to e.g. representing sumo wrestlers as the successors of the samurai, rather than normal young men who enjoy magazines, video games etc... In the last video I watched the rikishi said that filming these aspects of the sumo lifestyle might make it seem more attainable to potential recruits.

It was good to see one of the lower profile stables, and with only Roga as sekitori I guess not many of them will have tsukebito duties. I was surprised to see them having to do their own hair though!

• Like 1

We don't see Roga often. Iknow sekitori can leave outside or in a private room but we almost never see him interact with the others members. This channel is incredibly good, all these rikishi are very nice and gentle !

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Octofuji said:

I was surprised to see them having to do their own hair though!

The stable is trying to recruit a tokoyama. 

Just now, kedevash said:

We don't see Roga often. Iknow sekitori can leave outside or in a private room but we almost never see him interact with the others members.

It might be a result of his introvert personality - but also his rank: he seems  to spend more time with Futagoyama and okamisan. As a sekitori, he enjoys a much higher level of privacy.

It would be interesting to see the inside of a heya with a lot of sekitori and other veteran wrestlers; it would feel quite different, I suspect.

I enjoyed this immensely. We never get to see this side of the wakai-shu publicly. I am a fan.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bunbukuchagama said:

It might be a result of his introvert personality - but also his rank: he seems  to spend more time with Futagoyama and okamisan. As a sekitori, he enjoys a much higher level of privacy.

It would be interesting to see the inside of a heya with a lot of sekitori and other veteran wrestlers; it would feel quite different, I suspect.

Nah, probably the same as these guys. Just that a lot of tsukebitos will be following their assigned sekitori to koenkai meetings.

unless there is a heya wide training camp event where everyone has to attend.

Edited by rhyen

Big guys cooking and eating together - count me in (Inlove...)
Subscribed to the channel right away.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrGrumpyGills said:

Big guys cooking and eating together - count me in (Inlove...)
Subscribed to the channel right away.

Cooking and eating separately (at night) was the thing that struck me. Especially the big guy frying steaks topless, and then eating them over the hob!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Octofuji said:

Cooking and eating separately (at night) was the thing that struck me. Especially the big guy frying steaks topless, and then eating them over the hob!

They are encouraged to eat as much as possible.

Edited by Bunbukuchagama

I've very much enjoyed watching this channel. I don't speak Japanese to check the translations, but the subtitles are almost always easily understood so whoever is doing them must have a decent command of English. I did find it funny though how they kept switching between "landlady" and "proprietress" before finally settling on calling her "okami."

There was another incident where, when cooking, they threw a mystery ingredient into the pot (kinda looked like daikon but what do I know) and the label (subtitles always say what ingredient is being added) said "Wife." Okamisan has appeared again after that though so no need to worry. :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Octofuji said:

That one episode where he is being hit by hot oil is funny, not a great idea to fry with no shirt! 

59 minutes ago, just_some_guy said:

but the subtitles are almost always easily understood so whoever is doing them must have a decent command of English

They are AI-generated, I suspect.

• Like 1

I've been watching this channel for a while, love it.

One thing rubs me the wrong way though, is how Koga is being treated, he gets made fun of regularly by his peers and even by his oyakata on video. I can only wonder what happens away from the camera.

Edited by Miyam

Given how YouTube does autotranslation and marks it and that there's subtitles for stuff not spoken, someone must doing something manual on those subtitles, they don't look automatically created. It's entirely possible that Staff who takes the videos and is the off voice knows English.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Miyam said:

One thing rubs me the wrong way though, is how Koga is being treated, he gets made fun of regularly by his peers and even by his oyakata on video. I can only wonder what happens away from the camera.

I wonder what keeps him there. He clearly lacks any sort of sumo talent. 

32 minutes ago, Bunbukuchagama said:

I wonder what keeps him there. He clearly lacks any sort of sumo talent. 

Of note, he's the lowest ranked and the second youngest rikishi in the heya.  Who knows if this matters.

4 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Of note, he's the lowest ranked and the second youngest rikishi in the heya.  Who knows if this matters.

Status-wise, he is definitely at the very bottom. 

On 31/01/2024 at 13:50, Bunbukuchagama said:

They are AI-generated, I suspect.

I don't believe so. I've tried Youtube's auto-generated subtitles before and they're abysmal.

Also during keiko it'll say [Name] vs [Name] at the bottom in the subtitles despite no one saying it out loud, and the ingredients going into the pot aren't said out loud either. Furthermore there's occasional commentary in the subs, not just translation of what's said. I'm nearly 100% certain they're done manually.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, just_some_guy said:

I don't believe so. I've tried Youtube's auto-generated subtitles before and they're abysmal.

Also during keiko it'll say [Name] vs [Name] at the bottom in the subtitles despite no one saying it out loud, and the ingredients going into the pot aren't said out loud either. Furthermore there's occasional commentary in the subs, not just translation of what's said. I'm nearly 100% certain they're done manually.

Not that it really matters, but I'd suggest it's auto-generated subtitles (ai) that are then edited by the creator - at least on one or two of their past videos it looked like that to me. Anyway they're usable and sometimes funny.

I always thought that the editor creates the Japanese subtitles first, with extra commentary and info added, and then uses machine translation tool on them, like DeepL. Its use is evident in the occasional mistranslated shikona that appear.

17 hours ago, Yarimotsu said:

Not that it really matters, but I'd suggest it's auto-generated subtitles (ai) that are then edited by the creator - at least on one or two of their past videos it looked like that to me. Anyway they're usable and sometimes funny.

16 hours ago, Chiyotasuke said:

I always thought that the editor creates the Japanese subtitles first, with extra commentary and info added, and then uses machine translation tool on them, like DeepL. Its use is evident in the occasional mistranslated shikona that appear.

I could see either of these being the case. Definitely some human involvement though. Whatever method they're using has improved since the channel's launch as there are fewer mysteries/mis-translations on more recent videos.

• Like 1