Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Enho condition

Enho was at the Ishikawa pref. local Hokkoku shimbun office on the 30th for an informal talk with the president, who is the head of his koenkai. Intai? "I'm not thinking an inch 1 mm about it! The return at the Haru basho is in sight." "Also the doctors are surprised how well the neck has improved and I'm amazed as well." The earnest rehabilitation and treatment has bettered his condition, at one time he was paralysed below the neck.

During the Natsu basho he collapsed on the floor on return to the heya after a loss and had no strength in his body, flapping hands and feet. The other rikishi at first thought it to be a joke and laughed, but quickly realized the serious situation and Enho was brought to a hospital. The 2 weeks in hospital he was practically bedridden, with a pinched nerve he wasn't able to grasp something with his hands. The doctors demanded immediate surgery and intai and also the shisho encouraged him to do so, but he didn't nod to that (he couldn't manage to do that anyway in his condition). "There was neither anxiety nor fear, only the thought to return to the dohyo. I'm a sumo idiot."

He went to renown doctors and therapists, searching for 6 months for the path to a comeback. In addition to regenerative treatment, he got guidance from a trainer who supported the comeback of rugby players from the national team etc. Within the year he'll restart keiko with opponents. The oyakata agrees to the return for Haru, with caution: "Don't do anything unreasonable." He'll be jonidan by then: "I simply go back to the time I entered".

He wants to face Onosato and Oshoumi in makuuchi, aims for sanyaku and a makuuchi yusho.

http://www.hokkoku.co.jp/articles/-/1251855

img_ea077f21164d921ce68c4cc927d0b6621879

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

He really is a fool for sumo, isn't he. Any saner man would have immediately retired.

Look, when freaking ex-Hakuhō tells you to retire and you don't...

I'm a big fan, and wish only the best for him, but it is concerning how some of that interview borders on delusional.

• Sad 1

Perhaps he's modeling himself on Terunofuji's struggles and comeback. It's a double edged sword -- on the one hand Terunofuji is a hugely encouraging example, on the other hand it may push rikishi like Enho to continue who could be better off safeguarding their health. In the end like all health issues it's hugely individual and only he can make the decision. How much of it is realistic and how much wishful thinking only he knows. 

• Like 2

20 Juryo basho + 9 Makuuchi basho = 29 sekitori basho.  Is that still a factor?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I would think it has to be.

16 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I always keep forgetting, how many do you need again for a kabu? I just remember there was a difference between juryo and makuuchi basho requirements. 

4 hours ago, dingo said:

I always keep forgetting, how many do you need again for a kabu? I just remember there was a difference between juryo and makuuchi basho requirements. 

The regular minimum (without inheriting it) was 30 basho as sekitori.

Around the time of the Hochiyama retirement, they lowered the standards to 28 basho (in Hochiyama's case, his shisho also served as an advocate/supporter) - apparently you need a backer or something.

But regardless of how many basho Enho has, we are still in the middle of a kabu drought with many MANY other high profile veteran sekitori waiting for a share to become available. Sure, he is Hakuho's proégé, but there are limits to what the ex-Yokozuna can do. And as long as the previous owner/the NSK decide to give the share to a more decorated retiring sekitori, he will come up short (no pun intended).

I believe Enho's words that he wants to retun to the dohyo because of his passion for sumo, so a future as oyakata is not that much of a topic right now anyway, I assume.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Weren't people saying not that long ago that Ishiura was taking Magaki to keep it for Enho when he retires and then Ishiura can go take his father's job? Or maybe that was in one of Chris' made up conspiracies.

If that's true, then it would solve the issue of no kabu available, but he might need to do one more Juryu Basho

Personally I doubt that Enho's lack of a 30th sekitori basho makes any difference to his chances. Assuming that the Magaki kabu continues to remain in Hakuho's sphere of influence, the need for personal backing by the previous kabu owner and by Enho's shisho under the 28-basho rule won't be an issue, and I can't imagine the board of directors would interfere with his nomination either. (Or if they would interfere, it would be for a reason that's serious enough to make Enho's case untenable even with 30 tournaments.)

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Asapedroryu said:

Weren't people saying not that long ago that Ishiura was taking Magaki to keep it for Enho when he retires and then Ishiura can go take his father's job? Or maybe that was in one of Chris' made up conspiracies.

If that's true, then it would solve the issue of no kabu available, but he might need to do one more Juryu Basho

I brought that up, but it was my own uneducated observational take from afar. No real sources.

If there's any business sense within the kyokai, they would do well not to raise any issue for Enho's permanence in the system. His popularity and uniqueness can only help with PR activities.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

I brought that up, but it was my own uneducated observational take from afar. No real sources.

If there's any business sense within the kyokai, they would do well not to raise any issue for Enho's permanence in the system. His popularity and uniqueness can only help with PR activities.

They could turn down the case of a fellow who has as many "spirited rikishi" awards as sekitori wins.  But that would be too NSK, wouldn't it.

• Like 2

On 07/12/2023 at 03:59, I am the Yokozuna said:

Hakuho to have his own ichimon?

The last time that happened it lasted 8-9 years and many of its members including the founder having to leave. Based on what treatment we've seen of Hakuho, that would least even less and everyone has taken a lesson from the last splinter group

• Like 1

Enho today did 18 bouts, Oshima- and Oshiogawa-beya rikishi came for degeiko, Enho first was 13-0 with jonidan - Onokura, Kyokushozan , Kyokutaiga ..., then 5 bouts with sandanme - Kazeeidai, Chura .... This was the 3rd time he took part in moushi-ai keiko, after the 6th and  11th, with 2 days in a row 18 bouts: "No pain in the neck" "It's getting better day by day" - "I don't know how much I should do, but I can - and if I do, I get the feeling I can do more"

20231212s00005000376000p_thum.jpgo20231211-OHT1I51383-N.jpgo20231212s00005000344000p_thum.jpgo 20231211-OHT1I51382-N.jpgo

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1