Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Guess Kotonowaka's Aite - November 2023 edition

On 24/11/2023 at 22:47, Sakura said:

After the late withdrawal gave @Profomisakari the fortunate Day 2 result, there hasn't been much of an opportunity to catch up with the standard scheduling.

I think the late withdrawal (you mean Asanoyama?) hadn't an influence on my day 2 result,
but it prevented me from getting another point for day 1.
We had in the last years more as one Basho with the same Sanyaku structure

and there decided they like my picks did - and not like the train did.

BTW @Jakusotsu :
Thanks for the gratulation!

Profo

Edited by Profomisakari

1 hour ago, Profomisakari said:

I think the late withdrawal (you mean Asanoyama?) hadn't an influence on my day 2 result,
but it prevented me from getting another point for day 1.
We had in the last years more as one Basho with the same Sanyaku structure

and there decided they like my picks did - and not like the train did.

BTW @Jakusotsu :
Thanks for the gratulation!

Profo

I'm going to disagree with you on that one. I think your day 2 pick would have been wrong if Asanoyama hadn't withdrawn.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sakura said:

I'm going to disagree with you on that one. I think your day 2 pick would have been wrong if Asanoyama hadn't withdrawn.

The train was 1. M3e Takayasu, 2. M2w Meisei. At Aki, with the same sanyaku configuration, S2e Kotonowaka's schedule was 1. M3e Shodai 2. M2w Asanoyama ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Sakura  and @Reonitsu!

The difference in Aki 23 were the problems with   Hoshoryu - Meisei and Daieisho - Tobizaru ( same heya)
This changed the situation. 

My reference basho was Aki 2022 (10 Sanyaku, but Abis absence was known before).

3 hours ago, Profomisakari said:

@Sakura  and @Reonitsu!

The difference in Aki 23 were the problems with   Hoshoryu - Meisei and Daieisho - Tobizaru ( same heya)
This changed the situation. 

My reference basho was Aki 2022 (10 Sanyaku, but Abis absence was known before).

I have to say, your understanding of the situation is incorrect.

Why would you reference a basho with 9 active sanyaku, when the basho we just had only had 8? They are different situations entirely.

My fellow Yokozuna @Reonito and @Gurowake had the same picks on Days 1 and 2 and I'm sure they would have been correct (our picks were 1. Takayasu and 2. Meisei)

The issues with Hoshoryu-Meisei and Daieisho-Tobizaru had no relevance on the first two days as Meisei would not have been part of the Ozeki rotation on those days and Tobizaru would not have been part of the Sekiwake rotation for those days.

Here is what the first two days torikumi would have looked like with Asanoyama in.

Day 1

Takakeisho - Hokutofuji
Kirishima - Asanoyama
Hoshoryu - Ura
Daieisho - Shodai
Wakamotoharu - Meisei
Kotonowaka - Takayasu

Day 2

Kirishima - Abi
Hoshoryu - Asanoyama
Takakeisho - Ura
Wakamotoharu - Shodai
Kotonowaka - Meisei
Daieisho - Takayasu

In other words, the train would have been 2-0 and you would have been 0-2

If you want further confirmation of this, that is exactly what they did on Days 1 and 2 this basho with Asanoyama removed and everyone else moved up a slot (with Daieisho-Tobizaru not happening on Day 2 because of same stable, instead it was Daieisho - Gonoyama)

By the way, when half of the players are awarded a shukunsho, it's either a uniquely crazy basho or something inherently wrong with the criteria.

8 minutes ago, Sakura said:

If you want further confirmation of this, that is exactly what they did on Days 1 and 2 this basho with Asanoyama removed and everyone else moved up a slot

And I said before day 1 what the picks would be with Asanoyama out, which turned out to be correct.

On 09/11/2023 at 18:35, Reonito said:

Darn, I was worried about that. Too late to change now, deadline passed a few minutes ago (have to remember that it's an hour earlier for me on standard time).

Should be the monkey on day 1 now, and Profo lucks out on day 2.

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

By the way, when half of the players are awarded a shukunsho, it's either a uniquely crazy basho or something inherently wrong with the criteria.

...or the answer is much more simple: we should have never strayed from our boy Hokutofuji (...like I said many times before).

On 26/11/2023 at 20:40, Sakura said:

Why would you reference a basho with 9 active sanyaku, when the basho we just had only had 8? They are different situations entirely.

Please read my whole sentence!
Because Abi's absence was known (like this time Terunofuji's)

Extract Abi and you will see that this basho is a better referen than Aki 23 with the two disallowed spots because of the same heya.
This were my thaughts from begin and I waited, because I hoped to see that somebody had the same idea.

49 minutes ago, Profomisakari said:

Please read my whole sentence!
Because Abi's absence was known (like this time Terunofuji's)

Extract Abi and you will see that this basho is a better referen than Aki 23 with the two disallowed spots because of the same heya.
This were my thaughts from begin and I waited, because I hoped to see that somebody had the same idea.

I did read your whole sentence.

Your thought processes are still wrong. 

Aki 2022 had 9 active sanyaku to start the basho. 

This basho had 8 active sanyaku to start the basho.

9 is not the same as 8. Therefore you shouldn't be using Aki 2022 as a reference basho. 

Last basho is a much better reference basho because it had the identical sanyaku configuration and as Reonito pointed out this basho they followed the exact same pattern over the first two days excepting that Asanoyama was removed.

The same heya matchups had no bearing on the Day 1 and 2 torikumi. As I mentioned before, Meisei was not due to face an Ozeki in the first two days so the Hoshoryu-Meisei same stable issue was not a problem on those two days. Also Tobizaru was not due (in an Asanoyama included torikumi) to face a Sekiwake in the first two days and so the Daieisho-Tobizaru same stable issue was not a problem on those two days.

So to recap

1) You had the wrong reference basho
2) You applied same stable matchups incorrectly.

And when Asanoyama withdrew, your errors got you a point.