Sign in to follow this  
Gaijingai

John Gunning Re: The Ozeki Duo (sorry, Takakeisho)

I have a feeling the expectations of Takakeisho's demise will be an exaggeration. 

6 hours ago, Rocks said:

I have a feeling the expectations of Takakeisho's demise will be an exaggeration. 

You sure?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Benihana said:

You sure?

Yes. One close match is an indicator of nothing. Gagamaru got a kinboshi in a basho he went 7-8. 

5 hours ago, Doitsuyama said:

It is kind of amazing that the article didn't mention Takakeisho and Atamifuji. :-D

It is. I think everyone dismissed Takakeisho given his usual 8-7 when returning from an injury. I think for Atamfuji it's understandable. 

I think there is a lot of expectation that Kirishima and Hoshoryu were just waiting to break out and their yushos mean that is happening. I don't really understand that given their having 4 basho with 11 wins at best and 1 Jun yusho between them prior to winning their yusho. They are solid but but not future Mongolian Yoikozuna dominant by any means. Also odd is little mention of Daieisho and Asanoyama given their recent record and obvious ability. Injuries notwithstanding. 

Looking at Atamifuji's run is interesting. It seems there was a shift in the early 2000s with Torikumi making to just have everyone do a round robin of the 8 guys near their rank for the first 8 days regardless of how they looking physically or their record. That strategy has produced almost 1/2 of the >10 wins for a Juryo promotee ever recorded to occur during that time. Relying on mid level veterans to take them out of yusho consideration the second week.  That generates interest but I wonder if it's time to rethink that strategy given even former Ozeki like Mitakeumi and Takayasu losing to guys they have no business losing to on a regular basis and even when they KK. I don't think lower maegashira should be facing Sanyaku week one by any means but perhaps it's time to match guys up by record from M6 down week one a little more rather than letting them beat up on the guys doing poorly in their round robin?

6 hours ago, Doitsuyama said:

It is kind of amazing that the article didn't mention Takakeisho and Atamifuji. :-D

"Takakeisho showed enough in the recent Yokozuna Deliberation Council open practice to suggest he can get the eight wins needed to retain his ozeki rank, but the three-time champion could also make a title run if he can work his way back to match fitness and avoid soft losses in the first week."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2