Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

Nishonoseki Ichimon & Tamanishiki

Jonosuke    15
It was Tamanishiki who grew  Nishonoseki Beya to wha it is today.

You mean to what it was 30 years ago with Yokozuna Taiho. (In a state of confusion...) Nishonoseki hasn't exactly been a force to be reckoned with since at least the late 1980s.

With Asashosakari-zeki, I was discussing about Tamanishiki (often called "Boro"-nishiki, meaning "wasted" because he had such brutal training sessions there were casualities plenty at the end) and his contribution to Nishonoseki Beya/Ichimon.

He correctly pointed out that the current crop of rikishis with the heya are not much to write home about it.

As I mentioned elsewhere Tamanishiki was the boss man, the head of the family and chairman of the board all combined.

What drove Tamanishiki more than anything else was to set up a heya/ichimon that rivaled Dewanoumi Ichimon which usually had about the half of Makuuchi/Juryo rikishis in his days.

He was born one hundred years ago (December 15, 1903) in Kochi Prefecture. He joined Ozumo in 1916 after seeing a jyungyo tour headed by Tachiyama. But initially he was only165cm and weighed 67 kg (but remember he was only 13 years old then) so his dohyo debut with Nishonoseki Beya was delayed till 1919.

At that time Nishonoseki Beya was headed by former sekiwake Kaizan II who branched out from the old Tomozuna Beya headed by former Makuuchi Kaizan I.

In May 1915 Tamanishiki was promoted to Ozeki and a year later in June his shisho

passed away and he moved to Kumegawa Beya, headed by former Maegashira Lead Kiryuzan.

After the 1932 October basho Tamanishiki was promoted to Yokozuna and in January 1910, he acquired Toshiyori Myoseki Nishonoseki while still active ("Nimai-Kansatsu") and revived Nishonoseki Beya right away.

His Ichimon philosophy of "Live long and prosper through independence" went smack against Dewanoumi Ichimon's commandment "Thou shall not secede or Die".

Of course, Otokonoyama-zeki might say in Canada, "independence" means a "soverignty association" but I do digress.

Tamanishiki passed away on December 4, 1938 while still active.

Now here's Tamanishiki's List a la Schindler's:

1. Upon Tamanishiki's death, his deshi, Sekiwake Tamanoumi, inherited the heya while active ("Nimai-Kansatu") and developed:

- Ozeki Saganohana

- Sekiwake Kamikaze

- Komusubi Kotonishiki(founded Sadogatake Beya)

- Maegashira Lead Tokachiiwa (operated Minatogawa Beya)

- Maegashira 3 Oonoumi (founded Hanakago Beya)

2. Ozeki Saganohana in September 1951, inherited the heya while active ("Nimai-Kansatsu) and developed:

- Yokozuna Taiho (founded Taiho Beya)

- Sekiwake Tamanoumi (founded Kataonami Beya)

- Ozeki Daikirin (founded Oshiogawa Beya)

- Sekiwake Kongou

3. Minatogawa oyakata (former Tokachiiwa) inherited in April 1975.

4. Sekiwake Kongou inherited in September 1976.

Kongou married a daughter of Saganohana but later divorced. He was almost like Asahiyutaka. He was Maegashira 7 with 9-6 in '76 May. Then the next basho at Maegashira 2, he went 3-12 and retired to take over the heya.

----

5. From Sadogatake Beya

- Yokozuna Kotozakura (inherited Sadogatake Beya)

- Ozeki Kotogahama

- Sekiwake Hasegawa

6. From Hanakago Beya

- Yokozuna Wakanohana I (founded Futagoyama Beya)

- Yokozuna Wajima

- Ozeki Kaiketsu (founded Hanaregoma Beya)

7. From Kataonami Beya

- Yokozuna Tamanoumi

- Sekiwake Tamanofuji (inherited Kataonami Beya)

8. From Oshiogawa Beya

- Sekiwake Masurao (founded Ounomatsu Beya)

9. From Kotozakura's Sadogatake Beya

- Ozeki Kotokaze (founded Oguruma Beya)

- Komusubi Kotoinazuma (Kumegawa oyakata with Sadogatake Beya)

- Sekiwake Kotonishiki (Takenawa oyakata with Sadogatake Beya)

- Kotonowaka

- Kotomitsuki

- Kotoryu

- Kotooshu

10. From Futagoyama Beya

- Yokozuna Wakanohana II (founded Magaki Beya)

- Yokozuna Takanosato (founded Naruto Beya)

- Ozeki Takanohana (Fujishima Beya, inherited Futagoyama Beya)

- Ozeki Wakashimazu (founded Matsugane Beya)

- Sekiwake Daijuyama (revived Hanakago Beya)

11. From Hanaregoma Beya

- Yokozuna Oonokuni (founded Shibatayama Beya)

12. From Tamanofuji's Kataonami Beya

- Tamakasuga

- Tamanoshima

13. From Naruto Beya

- Wakanosato

- Takanowaka

- Takanotsuru

- Kisenosato

14. From Takanohana's Futagoyama Beya

- Yokozuna Takanohana (inherited Futagoyama, renamed to Takanohana Beya)

- Yokozuna Wakanohana III

- Ozeki Takanonami

- Sekiwake Akinoshima (Takadagawa Beya's Sendagawa oyakata)

- Sekiwake Takatoriki (Otake oyakata inherited Taiho Beya now renamed to Otake Beya)

So perhaps what I should have said was Tamanishiki made Nishonoseki ICHIMON what it is today.

Edited by Jonosuke

Otokonoyama    534
Of course, Otokonoyama-zeki might say in Canada, "independence" means a "soverignty association" but I do digress.

Very interesting way to bring politics into SumoForum! (In a state of confusion...)

Yes, Canada still retains a tie to the British monarchy, and even has a Governor Gerneral who "represents the Queen's interests" in Canada (not to mention our coins have a most English imprint on the heads side). In practical terms, Canada is an independent nation. I think we are in the same boat as Australia, NZ, and a few other Commonwealth nations.

My impression of new heyas within the same ichimon is a little different...they seem to have less leeway in setting their own "foreign policy" ie. how to vote in Kyokai elections, etc.

Jonosuke    15

Add to the list of Nishonoseki Ichimon heya Makuuchi rikishis:

15. From Oguruma Beya

Takekaze

16. From Otake Beya (formerly Taiho Beya)

Kokkai

As for Ichimons still having any special relevance at all now, they still do when there are Kyokai Directors Election every two years as more than the election itself, who each Ichimon nominates is more intriguing. Those oyakatas nominated but still losing but not elected do lose their prestige among their peers.

While the fact that an oyakata like Takadagawa who was kicked out of an Ichimon still gets elected without any support from Ichimon colleagues mean there are still differing views from the mainstream often headed by Dewanoumi Ichimon.

(Clapping wildly...) Actually I did get off-topic referring to "Sovereignty Association" bit but I felt it was an ideal solution for the Kyokai Ichimon set up (of course this idea came long after Ozumo's Ichimon.

Just for those curious, it was espoused by Quebecois Premier Rene Levesques who was trying to pull the province out of Canada but defraying the fear, he proposed this phrase to emphasize the strong ties with the rest of Canada.

In a way I feel Ichimon can have and do everything together and common among the members but each house can govern its own trivial affairs like chanko and bathroom cleaning duty as well as more important heya operation finances while having more cooperation among the members like doing training sessions together or electing directors so its member oyakatas can assume positions more suited to their interest within the Kyokai structures.

Jakusotsu    1,555
16.  From Otake Beya (formerly Taiho Beya)

Kokkai

make it Roho

Sasanishiki    5
His Ichimon philosophy of "Live long and prosper through independence" went smack against Dewanoumi Ichimon's commandment "Thou shall not secede or Die".

Can we call it the Vulcan Ichimon then? (Clapping wildly...)

Burainoan    0

Quite the impressive list. (Clapping wildly...)

though just off the top of my head, i think you missed Kotobeppu from Sadogatake, a number of Fujishima/Futagoyama maegashira types, like Misugisato, and the Magaki and Matsugane sekitori, such as Gojoro and Harunoyama....

so at least we know the ichimon's doing okay. maybe soon the heya will be, too.

Burainoan    0

Almost forgot an important one: Nishonoseki's own Daizen!

Otokonoyama    534
(Punk rocker...) Actually I did get off-topic referring to "Sovereignty Association" bit but I felt it was an ideal solution for the Kyokai Ichimon set up (of course this idea came long after Ozumo's Ichimon.

Just for those curious, it was espoused by Quebecois Premier Rene Levesques who was trying to pull the province out of Canada but defraying the fear, he proposed this phrase to emphasize the strong ties with the rest of Canada.

What the Quebecois, or the Japanese, or any other group that claims to be a "distinct society", or "unique" don't understand is - that in order to be *distinct* or *unique* you have to contrast yourself with another group, and they are also _distinct_ or _unique_ in relation to the other group. By that sort of definition, every group or society ( or heya ) is a 'distinct society' (In love...)

Zuikakuyama    1

Geez, the kyokai way the kyokai and the ichimons are organized sounds like the Sicilian mob, with various families, and declarations of undying loyalty.

I suppose you are a "made man" when you have enough tournaments under the professional ranks under your belt to qualify for a toshiyori, the captains are the heyas within each ichimon, and the head of the ichimon is the head of the family.

wanchanyama    0
What drove Tamanishiki more than anything else was to set up a heya/ichimon that rivaled Dewanoumi Ichimon which usually had about the half of Makuuchi/Juryo rikishis in his days.

At that time Nishonoseki Beya was headed by former sekiwake Kaizan II who branched out from the old Tomozuna Beya headed by former Makuuchi Kaizan I.

In May 1915 Tamanishiki was promoted to Ozeki and a year later in June his shisho passed away and he moved to Kumegawa Beya, headed by former Maegashira Lead Kiryuzan.

After the 1932 October basho Tamanishiki was promoted to Yokozuna and in January 1910, he acquired Toshiyori Myoseki Nishonoseki while still active ("Nimai-Kansatsu") and revived Nishonoseki Beya right away.

Tamanishiki passed away on December 4, 1938 while still active.

Great discussion, some very interesting reading.

Some articles from the time

Promotion

October 25 - New Sumo Champion.

http://www.juryo.com/newspaper/19321025.htm

Last few days

November 30 - Yokozuna