Sign in to follow this  
Gaijingai

John Gunning Looks At Upcoming Basho

Great article!  I was surprised to see John mention Hakuoho in the yusho discussion.  I suppose it's conceivable to see him in contention, being matched up against the bottom of the division.  And if that happens, it will be interesting and fun to watch him get matched up against the top of the division towards the end.  I'd expect that to be a cold slap of reality -- he's still only 19, after all.  But I wouldn't rule out an upset or two given the mentorship of the GOAT, who went 12-3 in his own Makuuchi debut, also at age 19.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ack! said:

I was surprised to see John mention Hakuoho in the yusho discussion.

Isn't it already settled that he will get every yusho for the next 15 years?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

And if not, clear favoritism by the NSK towards the other rikishi.

2 hours ago, Ack! said:

Great article!  I was surprised to see John mention Hakuoho in the yusho discussion.  I suppose it's conceivable to see him in contention, being matched up against the bottom of the division.  

In the Miyagino beya keiko video, he was being pushed around by Kihou quite easily actually. 3-4 if I'm not wrong. Kihou is not large.

Then again Mitakeumi managed to win 3 yusho and become ozeki going 0-235542 in training matches 

• Like 2

On 07/07/2023 at 17:42, Kintamayama said:

In the Miyagino beya keiko video, he was being pushed around by Kihou quite easily actually. 3-4 if I'm not wrong. Kihou is not large.

We talking about PRACTICE???

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shikona said:

Yes, we are talking about practice. The same practice where Hakuouhou was pushing others around, but when it came to Keyhole, he got pushed around by him easily. And PRACTICE means everything in sumo.

• Like 2

On 07/07/2023 at 15:57, Jakusotsu said:

There are definitely folks here who will not think that's funny. So, I have so say, nice shot.

On 07/07/2023 at 16:42, Kintamayama said:

Was he losing those spars or was he just getting pushed? He got shoved around more that one might expect in juryo, but he was still winning. Can't expect it to work that way in makuuchi, of course, but he seems to have an idea what to do in that situation.

4 hours ago, Sumo Spiffy said:

Was he losing those spars or was he just getting pushed? He got shoved around more that one might expect in juryo, but he was still winning. Can't expect it to work that way in makuuchi, of course, but he seems to have an idea what to do in that situation.

Losing.

11 hours ago, Shikona said:

I sometime fantasize about a rikishi interview where the journalist says "Your Oyakata says you don't put out during keiko ... "

Then I hear Iverson's rant: "we're talkin' about keiko ... keiko, man ... not a basho, not a basho, that I go out and die for, and play every torikumi like it's my last ... we're talkin' about keiko, man."