Akinomaki

Kyushu 2023 discussion (results)

Takayasu will surely retire without a yusho, but I am sure that in twenty years we will still remember him before a lot of yusho winners of his era.

• Like 6

The chances to ever see Terutsuyoshi back in Juryo are even slimmer than Enho now.

I know that even a few wins helps Asanoyama, but I hope he's feeling a lot better, because there's a real good chance his lineup is, or is close to:

• 8. Takakeisho
  • 9. Kirishima
  • 10. Daieisho
  • 11. Hoshoryu
  • 12. Abi
  • 13. Wakamotoharu
  • 14. Kotonowaka
  • 15. Hokutofuji

I suppose Hoshoryu and especially Kotonowaka are far enough down the road that those guys may be more likely to end up in contender matchups, but still...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kaninoyama said:

Midorifuji will get a good night's sleep tonight after that bout. 

Why wouldn't he grab the leg? It was right there in front of him. Explain it to me.

That's the way to get to yokozuna for Hoshoryu. Calmly taking care of the opponent, much better than than some excessive behaviour.

He was completely in the rythm of Abi

• Like 1

Kirishima was just as calm after his two losses and like expected Takakeisho quite the opposite after two wins and the performance so far of Gonoyama vs. ozeki

9 minutes ago, Bunbukuchagama said:

Takakeisho's Yokozuna run is on life support.

I'm suprised it lasted that long.

• Like 1

Good Upset Day to everyone, although some people still call it Day 7 for some reason. Ichiyamamoto, Atamifuji, Kotonowaka, and Takakeisho all fell grandiosely today. Daieisho and Hoshoryu in particular thank them a lot. But let's go with proper order.

Special props today for one-legged Pete Tsurugisho and his heartfelt win despite his bum leg. Sit Gisho now gets 3-4 and looks like having still a chance to save his basho despite his awfully packed up leg. I admit I was expecting him to fail hard and eventually go kyujo. Props to him.

My favorite Old Fox Tamawashi bounces back after two losses in a row with a solid Moti certified oshiwashi. Life is good.

On the other hand, my personal Mini Teru Atamifuji lost again today. After Sadanoumi, also Hiradoumi managed to refuse him a left inside grip and chased him around the dohyo until Atamin had to get out. The boy actually showed some great defense (another guy would have been yorikiri'd out immediately), but without a proper Plan B is is just futile resistance. I hope he finds out a way to deal with such problems more successfully in the future.

Great water break exhausting match between Hokuseiho and Midorifuji. Midorin tried to trip 'Seiho all the time while the latter had no actual answer beside standing and waiting. I am a little crossed that 'Seiho managed to fell second and win the match, but he also showed good instincts so I guess he deserved a little more to win anyway.

A bit way up, Kotonowaka bites the dust. I wasn't absolutely expecting that since he towered over Ura all the time, with the pinky pinkie visibly struggling to resist and stay in. I am almost baffled that he managed to step aside and pull Four Tits down in the end.

The other Ozeki hopeful Daieisho is back in town anyway. He literally destroyed poor Hokutofuji and walked out with his fifth win. Man, Daieisho is a powerhouse when he has the grace not to fall over like an apple falling from the tree.

Now, the actual Ozeki. Kirishima dispatched Tobizaru with ease and shows that he's not here for a KK or so. Actually, he's in the runner-up pack all of sudden. Who gets a seat in the front-runner bandwagon is instead Hoshoryu, who had little trouble to push Abi out after surviving his first strangling wave. Abi also showed poor lateral movement, like your average late career Kaisei. Not a good look.

Finally, the guy on life support, and not necessarily because he just ran out of permitted losses. Takakeisho surprisingly lost an oshi battle against Gonoyama (by the way, for a moment I thought they would pull another "put your fists down first" show - again). Not exactly an exciting outcome for the poster boy of pure oshi. And just for the lulz, tomorrow we will get Takakeisho vs. Asanoyama. The Hamster leads their F2F 6-4 and won their last three encounters (here). I am honestly curious whether 'Keisho will angrily run over him, or he will get belted out somehow. The Hamster has no room for errors anyway. The best he can do now is 13-2Y (which could be still enough for a promotion), but chances of losing one or two more bouts are high. A 12-3Y would be still a back-to-back, but I seriously hope that the YDC won't jump on such a poor show of numbers and give him the Konishiki treatment ("try one more time"). If he loses more he can say farewell to his stretched Yokozuna run anyway.

Edited by Hankegami
  • Like 6

Upset Days like these are one of the great joys of following sumo. You can add to that list Shodai, Takarafuji and Endo (even if it took a henka).

• Like 2

Not sure if this belongs here or on Trivia Bits, or indeed if this has already been pointed out but...

We are in the last basho of the year and so far no-one has posted a 13-2 record.

Since 15 bout schedules were introduced he have never seen a year without at least one 13-2.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

I'm a bit annoyed at Hokoseiho after that bout. He's 11 inches taller and outweighs Midorifuji by 60kg yet he didn't do bugger all in that bout. The smaller man did all the attacking, the larger man showed zero initiative. I get that it's a legitimate tactic to just lean on your opponent and wait for them to make a mistake, but it feels like if you are that much bigger you should at least do something positive to win the bout. With that size difference you are almost obligated to attack in some way. A pretty pathetic performance for mine.

Edited by Morty
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, Morty said:

I'm a bit annoyed at Hokoseiho after that bout. He's 11 inches taller and outweighs Midorifuji by 60kg yet he didn't do bugger all in that bout. The smaller man did all the attacking, the larger man showed zero initiative. I get that it's a legitimate tactic to just lean on your opponent and wait for them to make a mistake, but it feels like if you are that much bigger you should at least do something positive to win the bout. A pretty pathetic performance for mine.

And for me. You do wonder how long Hokuseiho would have let it go on for. Two of three water breaks? And also what ex-Hakuho makes of this style of sumo...

Edited by Octofuji
  • Like 1

I thoroughly enjoyed the Hokuseiho match, especially the ending, although that maybe because Midorifuji comes across as a cocky little beggar. Nowhere does it say in the rules that a wrestler must give his opponent a chance to win, regardless of the disparity in size. Reminded me of the characters of Lenny and Curly from "Of Mice and Men". 

Lenny (Hokuseiho): Hey George,  the little guy keep kicking me.

George (played by Hakuho, played by Burgess Meredith): Don't worry Lenny, he ain't hurting you none. Just hang in there and we'll be livin' off the fatta the land.

Just hope the ending is happier!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see Osanai retire in the short term future. He's been fighting with all the motivation of someone who's aware they hit their ceiling and is thinking about moving on in life. He's a uni grad, isn't he?

1 hour ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the Hokuseiho match, especially the ending, although that maybe because Midorifuji comes across as a cocky little beggar. Nowhere does it say in the rules that a wrestler must give his opponent a chance to win, regardless of the disparity in size. Reminded me of the characters of Lenny and Curly from "Of Mice and Men". 

Lenny (Hokuseiho): Hey George,  the little guy keep kicking me.

George (played by Hakuho, played by Burgess Meredith): Don't worry Lenny, he ain't hurting you none. Just hang in there and we'll be livin' off the fatta the land.

Just hope the ending is happier!

Interesting, I've always thought Midorifuji came across as quite lighthearted and likeable! The plucky master of the katasukashi has always been a welcome addition to makuuchi in my books. Just goes to show everyone has their own take on things I guess! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Morty said:

I'm a bit annoyed at Hokoseiho after that bout. He's 11 inches taller and outweighs Midorifuji by 60kg yet he didn't do bugger all in that bout. The smaller man did all the attacking, the larger man showed zero initiative. I get that it's a legitimate tactic to just lean on your opponent and wait for them to make a mistake, but it feels like if you are that much bigger you should at least do something positive to win the bout. With that size difference you are almost obligated to attack in some way. A pretty pathetic performance for mine.

There are all sorts of valid views on how to approach a bout and how much we might disapprove but it usually carries less weight when the guy wins. Now if he'd lost with that tactic.....