Sign in to follow this  
Kaikitsune Makoto

Matawari

Matawari is the major streching move known to bring tears to the eyes of young deshi. Ryan's excerpts from his Tomozuna-matawari keiko sounded almost as painful as it must have been and Kagamifuji got his share of the matawari-pain too.

Matawari is typically a move that women are much more flexible by nature. Many women do matawari with ease whereas it is quite uncommon to see a complete matawari by a man. Shiroikuma has some excellent videos on his site which I assume are meant for download/viewing since those are on his site so go here and watch some great demonstrations of keiko moves including a beautiful matawari!

http://shiroikuma.com/peiji/keiko.htm

Here quote from him:

股割り Matawari

Matawari is the second basic sum

Anyone else here can do proper matawari except Shiroikuma and Amanogawa?

Not yet - probably only at 110 degrees or so (if that?) and the belly near the floor - mawashi still getting in the way. Even with pushing (gentle) will be a long time.

Nishi is far ahead of me in this regard. But then again - I'm older (Laughing...)

matawari ? I can ! Just did tonight in fact. It alays used to, and still does, hurt my knees because of the way my knees were injured doing the matawari puts pressure on them at just the wrong way, OUCH. But it still does a body good.

• Like 1

Nishi is far ahead of me in this regard.  But then again - I'm older :-)

older? by how much mate? :-D 8 months or so right?

2 years odd I thought. 33 me. :-) - not the right side of 30 to be starting sumo but what the .....

B-)