Sign in to follow this  
Yubinhaad

Ichinojo intai

Ichinojo has decided to retire and will hand in his papers tomorrow, reports Nikkan. His continuing struggle with a chronic bad back makes it impossible for him to train consistently. Minato-oyakata (former Maegashira Minatofuji) and others tried to persuade him to continue, but his mind is made up. He missed the rikishi-kai meeting yesterday without notification, and obviously won't be participating in the keiko soken tomorrow. He acquired Japanese citizenship in September 2021, but won't be staying with the Kyokai.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 10
  • Sad 17

One of the most unique rikishi, and one whose combination of immense talent and inconsistent performances could be frustrating for his fans. I am very happy he got to raise the Emperor's Cup before this premature end to his career.

• Like 2

Wow, that came unexpected. I wish him all the best. Wonder what he'll be doing now. :'-(

• Like 1

I was wondering what was up with his not showing up for the weigh-in and rikishi-kai yesterday, as no injury was reported. Also, coming off a Juryo yusho etc, I'm pretty sure the real reason was not chronic back pain. There were other chronic issues, as we all remember, not that long ago. The timing is strange.

• Like 11

Wow. Less than a year after his Makuuchi yusho, and right after taking the Juryo yusho (that has to be a first, right?)

His career was certainly one-of-a-kind, and quite the roller-coaster. It looks almost unrealistic looking back at it.

He was fun to watch for his boulder-like ways in the ring, and i'm sure i and many others will miss him.

• Like 2

After the spate of unfavourable reports and developments that started half a year ago, the only thing that really feels surprising to me about Ichinojo's intai here is the specific timing. I hope he finds contentment outside of sumo, preferably not C2H5OH-based.

3 minutes ago, sahaven111 said:

... and right after taking the Juryo yusho (that has to be a first, right?)

Kasugao was the last juryo yusho winner before the yaocho scandal broke, as part of which he "retired". And Kaneminato was the last champion before he joined the Shunjuen mass walkout in 1932, although he returned to the Kyokai a year later.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Benihana said:

Wow, that came unexpected. I wish him all the best. Wonder what he'll be doing now. :'-(

Hopefully something he wants to do , that makes him feel better about himself.

Acquired Japanese citizenship but won't be staying in sumo.

Will he remain in Japan or go back to Mongolia? What will he do here if he remains?

Had he planned on remaining in sumo as an oyakata before all the dirty laundry got aired?

Ichinojo was an enigma when he arrived on the scene and remains one as he exits dohyo left... 

Edited by Kaninoyama

2 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Acquired Japanese citizenship but won't be staying in sumo.

Will he remain in Japan or go back to Mongolia? What will he do here if he remains?

Had he planned on remaining in sumo as an oyakata before all the dirty laundry got aired?

Ichinojo was an enigma when he arrived on the scene and remains one as he exits dohyo left... 

Back to Tottori Johoku as a coach?

Wow, what a shock! I mean, I know about the recent scandal and such but still, what a shock!

Really a shame to see him go. He was always one of my favorites to watch. But I guess I can understand it if back pain is the main issue, as that can be extremely debilitating and it might just be that he reached his limit. I hope being out of sumo makes it a bit easier to do something about that.

2 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Did he mention his post-sumo plans?

“I still have no idea. Whatever it will be, I will continue giving it my all.”

• Thanks 10
  • Sad 1

Totally unexpected. I really liked Ichinojo as a wrestler, his recent scandals notwithstanding. Well, at least he collected a few nice things before leaving out for good (Emperor's Cup, a few kinboshi, and a Juryo yusho on top of my mind).

48 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

“I still have no idea. Whatever it will be, I will continue giving it my all.”

I don't like that. Most rikishi have a somewhat of a plan already in motion by the time they retire. Even considering the scandal and all, Ichinojo should have had some plans if he really considered to retire for a while. He could have gone kyujo until waiting to start out a new business. Everything sounds like a last-minute kick out to me. The mere fact that Ichinojo took his citizenship not a long ago suggests that he was to stay, probably with a prospect to take over Minato stable.

I wonder whether a new scandal is going to come up soon and Ichinojo was strongly invited to retire. I cannot help but notice that Ichinojo showed a same behavioral pattern before his drinking scandal broke out. As everyone probably remembers, the popular Icchan had a very strong performance in July 2022, winning the yusho, only for his drinking scandal to break out around November. Now, he mopped the Juryo floor with a 14-1Y, using the likes of Asanoyama and young hope Ochiai as ragdolls, only to go intai before the next tournament, and apparently without a retirement plan on top of that. I would call an "Ichinojo ragequit" behavior, or something like that.

Edited by Hankegami
  • Like 2

Maybe his plan is to chill out a while (hopefully without any kind of alcohol). Somehow to me he seems the type to do that, and he certainly should have the financial means to do so. 

This is surprising news to me and I will miss the big guy. I can only hope that he has some kind of plan now that he has retired.

I went back to the Ichinojo concerns thread. I wonder if he and the oyakata settled the matter of the monetary disagreement that was reported last year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, code_number3 said:

Back to Tottori Johoku as a coach?

There is already a Mongolian there coaching

Surprised to hear this, but wish him all the best after his retirement. He will now forever hold a winning record against Ochiai :-)

• Haha 1

Whaaat, nooo!! It's a real shame :'-(

His makuuchi debut was legendary, it's too bad that he couldn't reach higher than S in his career.

4 hours ago, rhyen said:

There is already a Mongolian there coaching

Not to quibble, but I don't think Tottori has the same foreigner policy as Ozumo.