Akinomaki

Natsu 2023 discussion (results)

Recommended Posts

Hokuseiho! Another one arm throw but this time against an elite wrestler that is big and powerful and great on the belt. 

I'm sold. I'm hopping on the bandwagon.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me or has Ura lost a bit of his "Ura-ness" these past few basho? 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are always one or two days per basho where there are constant surprises, today is one of those days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's NHK broadcast was superb. Truly surprisingly captivating. They had Mr. Imada from the Dosukoi TV show and Miyagino as guests and concentrated on the tachiai from many aspects,. They asked all the rikishi how important they thought the tachiai was etc., and before every bout showed their answers. They measured the force of each bout's tachiai- the most forceful was between Kagayaki and Daishouhou. They measured speed and Chiyoshouma was the quickest. You know, stuff like that. Then they outdid themselves by interviewing some rikishi (not kachikoshi, not upsets)- just asking them questions right after their matches, asking what went through their heads, Midorifuji, Hiradoumi, etc. It was great. Among other things, they asked the rikishi where they look during their shikiri. Some said at their opponent, some said they are concentrated on their routine. Shoudai? Looks at the crowd.. Everyone was laughing as he seemed to be looking all over the place today as well. A lot of cool graphics, really, really surprisingly outside the box, and very interesting to boot. Miyagino telling some funny stories and analyzing the tachiai moves of the rikishi. Way to go, NHK!! Hopefully, this isn't a one-off thing- the broadcasts have been relatively the same since the sixties.. It's about time they brought in some up to date stuff without hurting the traditional feeling. Just like today.

 

Apologies for the rambling, but when kudos are due, you due it..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 20
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Today's NHK broadcast was superb. Truly surprisingly captivating. They had Mr. Imada from the Dosukoi TV show and Miyagino as guests and concentrated on the tachiai from many aspects,. They asked all the rikishi how important they thought the tachiai was etc., and before every bout showed their answers. They measured the force of each bout's tachiai- the most forceful was between Kagayaki and Daishouhou. They measured speed and Chiyoshouma was the quickest. You know, stuff like that. Then they outdid themselves by interviewing some rikishi (not kachikoshi, not upsets)- just asking them questions right after their matches, asking what went through their heads, Midorifuji, Hiradoumi, etc. It was great. Among other things, they asked the rikishi where they look during their shikiri. Some said at their opponent, some said they are concentrated on their routine. Shoudai? Looks at the crowd.. Everyone was laughing as he seemed to be looking all over the place today as well. A lot of cool graphics, really, really surprisingly out of the box, and very interesting to boot. Miyagino telling some funny stories and analyzing the tachiai moves of the rikishi. Way to go, NHK!! Hopefully, this isn't a one-off thing- the broadcasts have been relatively the same since the sixties.. It's about time they brought in some up to date stuff without hurting the traditional feeling. Just like today.

 

Apologies for the rambling, but when kudos are due, you due it..

It looks like today’s show is a continuation of the pre-basho dosukoi sumo salon, they did mention in that show that they would be showing up today. All topics covered are exactly the same as in dosukoi sumo salon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, rhyen said:

It looks like today’s show is a continuation of the pre-basho dosukoi sumo salon, they did mention in that show that they would be showing up today. All topics covered are exactly the same as in dosukoi sumo salon.

Be that as it may, almost  none of us ever heard of that show, so for us not blessed with living in Japan, this is a treasure trove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So sad to see Asanowaka struggle down in makushita.

Made Juryo in Nov '21, after going 5-2 at ms1e the previous tournament.
10-5 record his first basho as a sekitori, another 10-5 record at J8 a few bashos later and J4 as his highest rank.

He seemed to be destined to reach Makuuchi at least, as he was producing fine results in his first tournaments as a sekitori.

Then Covid hit, he was infected and is reportedly struggling with long covid symptoms.
The strength and ferocity with which he fought only a few months ago had vanished.
I watch every bout of his and he appeared and still appears weak, incapable of showing any resistance to his opponents' moves.

It's very sad to see.

And the worst thing?
Apparently he personally asked Wakamatsu oyakata (former maegashira Asanowaka) for his shikona, as he "did good Sumo with all his heart and had few injuries".

Rough.
Hope he can recover from long covid and return to his old strength. He certainly was a joy to watch when he was at his full strength!

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Be that as it may, almost  none of us ever heard of that show, so for us not blessed with living in Japan, this is a treasure trove.

We have been posting bilibili videos of it since it’s inception in the sumo programs section. @Akinomaki: have we found the latest episode yet?

Edited by rhyen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

BEST! HENKA! EVER!

Tsurugisho, you're my hero of the day.

I can't have been the only one who let out an audible 'HEHEHE!' upon first watching that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a supporter of Hokuseiho and that was an impressive throw. I was not impressed with the henka.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinbozan struggling at this higher level and looking a bit lost. The jump in quality between M14 and M5 is huge and for the first time he's not finding it so easy and is looking at a losing record

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Today's convincing win against Asanoyama should silence some of the Hokuseiho doubters. 

Well, it didn't silence me, but I was impressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a nice tournament in Osaka, Enho looks completely clueless this basho. Injury? He's fighting with no will at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Seregost said:

After a nice tournament in Osaka, Enho looks completely clueless this basho. Injury? He's fighting with no will at all

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he has a shoulder injury. Looks like Makushita for him next basho.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Well, it didn't silence me, but I was impressed.

...Till his next loss to a random rank-and-file veteran...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Morty said:

Kinbozan struggling at this higher level and looking a bit lost. The jump in quality between M14 and M5 is huge and for the first time he's not finding it so easy and is looking at a losing record

There were reports about his breathing problems pre-basho. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he has a shoulder injury. Looks like Makushita for him next basho.

He might be able to pick up the couple of wins he needs against some of the other struggling rikishi...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he has a shoulder injury. Looks like Makushita for him next basho.

 

42 minutes ago, Reonito said:

He might be able to pick up the couple of wins he needs against some of the other struggling rikishi...

Agreed. Enho pretty much only needs to avoid zenpai to ensure he stays, right?

To be fair Azumaryu was one of those I was expecting him to beat regardless, but there's still Akua and Chiyonokuni...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Koorifuu said:

Agreed. Enho pretty much only needs to avoid zenpai to ensure he stays, right?

To be fair Azumaryu was one of those I was expecting him to beat regardless, but there's still Akua and Chiyonokuni...

Azumaryu's generally had Enho's number. There's also obviously injured Hidenoumi and struggling Tsushimanada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reonito said:

He might be able to pick up the couple of wins he needs against some of the other struggling rikishi...

If he lasts till day 15. Would a 1-14 leave him in Juryo? 2-13?

Edited by Kintamayama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

If he lasts till day 15. Would a 1-14 leave him in Juryo? 2-13?

Chiyonokuni needs to start hustling a lot more than Enho at this point

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A message to Tsurugisho: In Spanish there is a saying more or less like this: "Steal from a thief and you'll get 100 years of pardon". Yours start today.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now