Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparation of the Y/O- Natsu 2023

Terunofuji did the dohyo iri at the Ise Jingu today as part of the Haru Jungyo, no bouts though. "I will be gambarizing and am doing my best to show up for Natsu basho. I've been out for a while and have no record to show for, but I'm getting there, forging my body and getting ready. I intend to gambarize this basho by being around the fans and doing anything that I am capable of. My knees are a bit better and i hope to go back to how I was. I feel I'm going in the right direction..If I wasn't in favorable condition I wouldn't be here. During the last basho, I trained every morning and did some weight training every evening. Anxiety? I wouldn't declare my intention of entering Natsu Basho if I was worried," he said. The plan is to train and do sumo during the jungyo. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Yokozuna Terunofuji has declared that he will be entering the May basho."Of course I'm planning on entering. I lost 20 kilos in the hopes to unburden my knees after the surgery  recently. Then I regained them, which worsened my knees' situation. I have diabetes so when my sugar level rises, I can't generate power. At the moment, I am 10 kilo less. I'll be regaining  them slowly. I still need to work on my tachiai, my movement when I step back, and my twisting motions," he said.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

The place for degeiko is now Tokitsukaze-beya, 11 sekitori assembled there, from 7 heya (from Tokitsukaze Shodai and new Tokihayate, still in black), also Terunofuji, who trained especially with Asanoyama: 4-2  - o

First degeiko for Terunofuji since he had surgery last October, he trained with 2 ex-ozeki, 11 bouts in a row, first 4 with Shodai, winning all, the first slowly, then in one go. Next the 6 with Asanoyama - 4-2 - and in the end one more with Shodai - 5-0

http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2023/04/27/0016287798.shtml

• Like 2

Takakeishou is training and will be entering the basho, says his oyakata. No sumo so far, just the fundamentals.

• Like 1

Also Isegahama says that his top man enters the basho - for all 15 days - and will be aiming for the yusho. Terunofuji had 4 basho kyujo, 3 basho zenkyu. At degeiko on the 3rd he was 8-2 and he trained at the keiko soken with Kiribayama and others. The yokozuna who won the basho after 4 or more kyujo were Hakuho (6), Taiho (5) and with 4 Kashiwado and Hokutoumi http://hochi.news/articles/20230508-OHT1T51216.html?page=1

• Like 2

Terunofuji did no training yesterday and went to a hospital to have his knees checked. Last basho they got worse while he was preparing, the oyakata wants to take no chances. https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2023/05/09/kiji/20230509s00005000089000c.html

Takakeisho was 8-3 at the keiko soken, with Daieisho, Kotonowaka and Sadanoumi. o

• Like 1

On 09/05/2023 at 17:56, Akinomaki said:

Terunofuji did no training yesterday and went to a hospital to have his knees checked.

I also wonder how his blood glucose is

I think it’s mostly knees. In the sumo fan groups on Facebook some backstage pictures were posted from various jungyo and in all of them that had Terunofuji he was always sitting down, even if everyone else was standing up talking.

It would be totally crazy if he won another yusho I think.