Sign in to follow this  
Sumo Spiffy

Games Talk, Hatsu 2023

I rarely post my daily videos anywhere, but this day was such a disaster for picks, I thought some people might like to think about those who did even worse.

I've been missing this topic all basho. I've had plenty to whine about but nowhere to post it. Today went pretty well though. :-D

4 hours ago, Kaito said:

I've been missing this topic all basho. I've had plenty to whine about but nowhere to post it. Today went pretty well though. :-D

Feel free to start it next basho. I always mean to then forget because I'm wrapped  up in checking standings. 

I can't complain that's for sure.

I am very much enjoying the Horse Race in Chain Game even though I went out long ago.  Go @Sakura !!!

25 minutes ago, Taliesin said:

...I still can't believe how stupidly I lost.

That's exactly the feeling I have six times in a year.

Ganzohnesushi 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Taliesin said:

Yeah, it's quite exciting. I still can't believe how stupidly I lost.

I wondered about that. Did you have a hunch about Hokuotfuji or was that a mistake? That match would have been to close for a Chain Gang pick for me.

2 hours ago, Rocks said:

I wondered about that. Did you have a hunch about Hokuotfuji or was that a mistake? That match would have been to close for a Chain Gang pick for me.

No, no mistake. Somehow made myself believe that their respective form this basho eliminates most of the scenarios where Hokutofuji would lose.

Man, I am pissed about Toto. That's a tough game to win but I should not have faded that bad in the second half. Terrible. 

Without knowing how anyone else is doing, I think I should be in contention for the Green Mawashi, so that's cool.

Norizo Cup - I'll either hit the Special Question or get a 2nd Kotoshoho sansho in Norizo Cup, and the remaining questions are good for me. There are ways for me to not win, but I'm bound to be close.

Salary Cap - I'll get yusho/jun-yusho bonuses for Takakeisho and Kotoshoho. To win, I'll probably either need Onosho to get jun-yusho too, or Kiribayama not to, if not both.

Oracle - Projected in a 2nd way tie with a few people, with winning chances. I actually have a ton of guys I can gain points with on the last day, and very few I can lose on, but I don't think the torikumi is very favorable. I have some definite regrets here (aside from predicting 4 for Ichiyamamoto) because my initial entry was much better, but I made nothing but harmful edits trying to trim the excess wins I was giving out. Off the top of my head, I remember having a 9th win for Onosho, a 10th for Kotoshoho, and 8ths for Chiyonokuni and Daishoho. It was hard to not give all MKs in Juryo with Asanoyama, Kinbozan, and Hokuseiho gobbling up so many wins.

Bench - Facing the leader on day 15. To yusho I'd have to win a big multiway tiebreaker, but just winning the match would make a big difference in points.

Also pretty good points from Chain Gang, Quad, and TTT, with some point chances in POG and Hoshitori. If Kotoshoho wins the yusho, I could finish 2nd or something in Hoshitori. If not, probably nothing.

The most annoying thing was throwing the Odd yusho, I picked a trio I liked that would have put me in 1st, then I checked the rankings and decided my bet would be winning more than I needed, so I swapped out one of them for an "easier" pick that was still enough for 1st. If the leader had had a few more points at the time, I would've stuck with the original. Obviously nobody to blame but myself.

Still happy for what I have and looking forward to the final day! (W00t,w00t,w00t...)

I mean, I said the torikumi was unfavorable for my Oracle entry, but this is absurd. My boys are getting swept off the dohyo.

8 minutes ago, Kaito said:

I mean, I said the torikumi was unfavorable for my Oracle entry, but this is absurd. My boys are getting swept off the dohyo.

Yeah, I looked at your lineup in Oracle. I though you were a little too enthusiastic. I'm just hoping to sneak into the top 10.

It was pretty hard for me to finish worse than 5th or so, even with a bad schedule. If not for Wakatakakage at the end, I would've been entirely shut out on like...the 10-15 most important matches.

I can not believe I lost 6 of the last 8 days of Toto. That is unacceptable.

24 minutes ago, Kaito said:

It was pretty hard for me to finish worse than 5th or so, even with a bad schedule. If not for Wakatakakage at the end, I would've been entirely shut out on like...the 10-15 most important matches.

I have no idea what you were looking at in Oracle. You are counting that you lose a point for every match the last day where the 2 guys competing are guys that have already reached the number you picked for them right?

On 19/01/2023 at 21:18, Tenshinhan said:

Hmm this cyber-injury again

That cyber-injury probably cost you the Tipspiel Yusho.  (Carriedawayonastretcher...)

25 minutes ago, Rocks said:

I have no idea what you were looking at in Oracle. You are counting that you lose a point for every match the last day where the 2 guys competing are guys that have already reached the number you picked for them right?

I'm not concerned with the raw point total, just how my points stack up against others. So Wakatakakage for example. I had him predicted for 9 while the leader (Kishikaisei) had him down for 8. He got his 9th win today so I gained a point and he lost a point.

Kishikaisei was up 8 points on me going into the final day, but I had 7 wrestlers that would create a 2-point swing in my favor with a win (Wakatakakage, Midorifuji, Hokutofuji, Kagayaki, Kotoeko, Tsurugisho, Hokuseiho). He had only 1 (Mitakeumi). If all the matches were coin flips, he'd still be favored to top me by 2 points on average, but he was the only one who was. Knowing the matchups on the final day, I had a hunch I'd probably fall a little short of my projections, but I didn't expect to have only 1 result of those 8 go in my favor.

My matchups with others were similarly one-sided, with me having long lists of potential earners vs 1 or 2 rikishi on the other side. But it was only the rikishi on the other sides that were winning.

58 minutes ago, Kaito said:

but he was the only one who was

Yet 12 people besides the winner still finished ahead of you. 

3 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

That cyber-injury probably cost you the Tipspiel Yusho.  (Carriedawayonastretcher...)

Thanks for pointing out. I missed to enter for Day 12 and now I hate myself because this chance will never come again. My first thougt was an immediate intai.
But I hope to come back stronger in March (Exercising...)  Anyway, congrats to Kintamayama!

• Like 1

I only play three games - Roto, ISP, Chaingang. What a monstrous performance by Sakura! Almost took yusho in all three. And even a birthday today? Congratulations, truly!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Taliesin said:

I only play three games - Roto, ISP, Chaingang. What a monstrous performance by Sakura! Almost took yusho in all three. And even a birthday today? Congratulations, truly!

Thanks. First Yusho in Chain Gang. So so close in ISp and Roto. My rikishi let me down on Day 14 in Roto. And actual points in TTT and Hoshitori, so much better than my usual  performances.

Here is Juryo Game result, top10 for superbanzuke points @Randomitsuki

Full standings will be released soon, once the Tokushoryu day 2 win will be corrected

1. Henkanoumi - 122 (Congrats! Amazing performance for a first basho)
2. Hironoumi - 117
3. pandaazuma - 116
4. chishafuwaku - 116
5. Chelseayama - 115
6. ScreechingOwl - 115
7. Itachi - 114
8. Haroomafuji - 113
9. Saruyama - 113
10. Holleshoryu - 113

All other players have 112 points or less