Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Takamisakari red in the face

Takamisakari was put to shame (embarrassed, humiliated-take your pick..) in front of hundreds who came to watch asageiko today at the jungyo. He was doing his usual terrible keiko with Miyabiyama and other Sekitori, losing constantly and weakly. Minato Oyakata, who was supervising this keiko, was seen/heard shouting at him. "Don't hold back your strength!!" Sakari was on the receiving end of "extra shoves" by Kokkai and others and his Sumo was totally spiritless and without any ambition.. "Well, all I can do is gambarize the best I can..", he muttered very, very quietly after the keiko session.

Edited by Kintamayama

oh!

can anyone tell me takamisakari's address for fan mail too!?

Look for the respective heya page on Bandey's site. Azumazeki.

Just to make it clear that the reason I dropped my avator of Takamisakari has nothing to do with this thread or wussiness of Takamisakari - I personally like that in him. He will never be a gym warrior.

There was a small and bad quality pic taken at a jyungyo training session in Sumo magazine a year or so ago I really liked. What basically happened was all the sekitoris were watching the two guys going against each other on the dohyo. Seiken was one of them and there, standing next to him was Tochiazuma. The accompanying caption says that Seiken all of sudden without any provocation started crying out loud. The camera caught Tochiazuma's expression as he watched Seiken crying looking totally bemused.

Takamisakari's case is quite unique. Sure there are athletes who don't go all out in training always and who have major difficulties not holding back but rarely as high class rikishi as Sakke is. This guy is REALLY strong physically and yet he can be such a completely pathetic wimp in keiko. It is just amazing how he even dares to go against Shoryu and KaioU in keiko holding his strength back making these guys angry. Maybe he truly enjoys the physical and mental beatings he gets in keiko from rikishi and from oyakata. Maybe he just wants to be that victim who gets manhandled in keiko and against whom many rikishi seem extra willing to steam out some frustration. How can Sakke be SO bad in keiko? One can be bad but there are some limits...

The most stunning fact is that despite his keiko mode, he can be so utterly different in honbasho. Not only a good rikishi but a really intimidatingly powerful rikishi. The gap is too big, it is just too big (Laughing...)

Perhaps his darkest moments are when he loses twice in a row in HONBASHO with weak sumo and walks down the hanamichi. One could imagine his mind going through a mantra "I am this weak in honbasho now too..I am this weak in honbasho now too..". What would happen to Sakke if he would suddenly lose his ability to be a different rikishi in honbasho? Those moments when it happens must feel horrible.

Sakke is the ultimate mystery. Can't be fun to go against him in honbasho after pre-basho keiko sessions with him.

Probably no one can understand what exactly is going on in Takami's head, Takami included. i've been a fan of his for four or so years now, and one of the things i cued into pretty quickly is that all is not quite right upstairs. don't know what it is, and i wouldn't go so far as to say he's retarded or anything, but he clearly has some thought and/or emotional processes that are a little bit different from the rest of us. and i think that affects his sumo...probably his training style, his outbursts, how he handles himself in hon-basho, etc. so far, he's been able to keep things in check and himself in focus well enough to do okay in makuuchi, though his recent performances have been a little worrying. it also makes him dang near impossible to figure out or predict. but it's also part of what makes him fun and interesting.

Bi-polar? I don't know too much about the disorder, and whether it can cause change in demeanour that quickly.

Perhaps we could just say he displays bi-polar sumo?

I watched Takamisakari's asageiko during the Nagoya basho. I know the guys take it a bit easy with keiko during a honbasho, but Robocop seems to be a very analytical guy in practice bouts. He talks a lot with the other rikishi around the ring, asking questions, asking them to do certain specific attacks ie. come at me hard and low; try getting a left-hand inside grip, etc. He seems to want to spend most of his time working on details, how to handle this or that attack. He'll lock up with someone, try something, ask the opponent to move this or that way, try something else...it has a different look and feel to it than a plain all-out practice bout. A bit more like yakusoku kumite, or kata oyo in other martial arts.

Edited by Otokonoyama

I watched Takamisakari's asageiko during the Nagoya basho. I know the guys take it a bit easy with keiko during a honbasho, but Robocop seems to be a very analytical guy in practice bouts. He talks a lot with the other rikishi around the ring, asking questions, asking them to do certain specific attacks ie. come at me hard and low; try getting a left-hand inside grip, etc. He seems to want to spend most of his time working on details, how to handle this or that attack. He'll lock up with someone, try something, ask the opponent to move this or that way, try something else...it has a different look and feel to it than a plain all-out practice bout. A bit more like yakusoku kumite, or kata oyo in other martial arts.

Now the stories on how he behaves at keiko makes sense- thanks for this.