Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Asashouryuu ill

Asashouryuu came down with a fever today, 39 degrees, which has weakened him . He did two TV shows on the 24th, and it seems that totally knackered him. He did, however, participate in the Yokozuna dohyo-iri and his match against Kaiou yesterday during Jungyo, but no asageiko in Hiroshima today. "My throat aches, and when I move my eyes my brain thumps with pain", he said, uncharacteristically weakly.. He went to a local hospital and was given an infusion (intravenous drip).

That keiko deficiency that caused him last Basho's Yusho is what he is trying his utmost to avoid. "It's a painful pace- down", as the article states.

Edited by Kintamayama

Fever reached 39.8 last night, prompting a visit by a physician who stayed with him the whole night till 10am. He was Kyujo from today's bout in Jungyo in Ehime. (Iyo Ooshima). "I'm down to 37 degrees, but I've had a herpes come out", he explained. He did the Dohyo iri and left for the local hospital for more dripping. "After the Kyushu Basho I will have my tonsils out. I've got to be healthy for Kyushu, or else..", he added.

Edited by Kintamayama

Fever reached 39.8 last night, prompting a visit by a physician who stayed with him the whole night till 10am. He was Kyujo from today's bout in Jungyo in Ehime. (Iyo Ooshima). "I'm down to 37 degrees, but I've had a herpes come out", he explained. He did the Dohyo iri and left for the local hospital for more dripping. "After the Kyushu Basho I will have my tonsils out. I've got to be healthy for Kyushu, or else..", he added.

In Canada it's rare to have one's tonsils removed these days (was quite common 20-30 years ago and more). IIRC, Doc said something about increased risk of lymphoma or something like Hodgekin's Disease...

it bothers me to find out that asashoryu is ill. if he does have a herpes outbreak, this usually takes 3-4 weeks, and is very painful. He does make the bashos exciting because he is unpredictable. I could safely say watching bashos with him on it was the catalyst for me to want to watch sumo again after takanohana's retirement. Despite new hot rikishi like Hakuho and Kotoryu, a basho without Asashoryu would not be the same at all - win or lose. (Blushing...)

...Despite new hot rikishi like Hakuho and Kotoryu, a basho without Asashoryu would not be the same at all - win or lose. :-P

Kotoryu new & hot (Blushing...)

Maybe you mean Kotooshu...;-)

Good point.

Like most of the former Yokozuna, their promotion occured in a time where there immediate concurrents were out or weak.

=>examples:

Asashoryu: retirement of Takanohana, Musashimaru very weak, the other Ozeki struggeling

Musashimaru:all Yokozuna and Ozeki (except Takanonami) weak or not even in the basho.

Wakanohana: sub-par performances of all Yokozona and Ozeki

Akebono: no Yokozuna at all, other ozeki out

So now, Kaio has to seize the opportunity, because:

Asashoryu ill and struggeling

Chiyotaikai struggeling and on a losing streak against Kaio

Tochiazuma injured

Musoyama near retirement and struggeling for 2 years :-/

The only danger for Kaio next basho are the lower Sanyaku, of whom only Kotomitsuki poses a threat. (7-6 versus Kaio).

As you say, if he doesn't make it to Yokozuna now, he never will.

I will be rooting for him 'tough. (Blushing...) ;-) :-P

As you say, if he doesn't make it to Yokozuna now, he never will.

I will be rooting for him 'tough. (Blushing...)  ;-)  :-P

Yeah! (Blowing horn...)

Go, Kaio, go :-/

Aki_2004_day15.jpg

The only danger for Kaio next basho are the lower Sanyaku, of whom only Kotomitsuki poses a threat. (7-6 versus Kaio).

So Kaio will defeat Wakanosato handily each time? Hmm... I don't think there is any clear differences in strength between most of the rikishi in sanyaku/upper maegashira. Miyabiyama and Tochinonada are sanyaku this time, but Dejima, Kakizoe, Hakuho, Kokkai, Tamanoshima, Kyokutenho etc are all perennial sanyaku candidates of about the same level. There are no easy bouts. However, Kaio will be the favourite against anyone (except perhaps Asashoryu), so his main opponent will be himself, IMHO.

When Kaios last promotion chance was (Aki 2003) he gave away 5 ginboshi (4 after a good 6-1 sart), so everything can happen if Kaios nerves are struggling. He could go 8-7 with no ozeki or yokozuna at hand when he is in "mental disease". But I have a feeling, that this time he will eventually make it.

As for Asashoryu I think you are making too much out of this. There is still a good many time left til shonichi and the yokozuna will recure, I've no doubt. And I would not underestimate the other ozeki even though they have done bad the last bashos. Neither would I underestimate the sanyaku and joijin for they were even stronger than the ozeki in September. I'm just looking forward to see a great basho and hope for many sold tickets. (Blushing...)

When Kaios last promotion chance was (Aki 2003) he gave away 5 ginboshi (4 after a good 6-1 sart), so everything can happen if Kaios nerves are struggling.

Well, that really had more to do with getting injured halfway through the basho...

Yes he was injured, or he appeared to have been. But I was really surprised when he won that bout against a very genki Chiyotaikai...even an injured Kaio can win a basho, we have seen that in 2001, so I was surprised that he went 7-8 after 6-1.

I do believe that it had to do with Kaios injury but I do also believe that Kaios nerves had to do with. That was always the mater of Kaio, look how many ozeki promotions he left out because he lost himself. You cannot deny that Kaio always or lets say often struggles with his nerves when it comes to the point.

But I have to correct myself for his last promotion chance was in may of this year.

...Despite new hot rikishi like Hakuho and Kotoryu, a basho without Asashoryu would not be the same at all - win or lose.  :-/

Kotoryu new & hot (Applauding...)

Maybe you mean Kotooshu...(Hugging...)

Thanks for the heads up. I only realized my blunder this morning..Yes I did mean Kotooshu. :-)

So Kaio will defeat Wakanosato handily each time? Hmm... I don't think there is any clear differences in strength between most of the rikishi in sanyaku/upper maegashira. Miyabiyama and Tochinonada are sanyaku this time, but Dejima, Kakizoe, Hakuho, Kokkai, Tamanoshima, Kyokutenho etc are all perennial sanyaku candidates of about the same level. There are no easy bouts. However, Kaio will be the favourite against anyone (except perhaps Asashoryu), so his main opponent will be himself, IMHO.

However, Kaio will be the favourite against anyone (except perhaps Asashoryu), so his main opponent will be himself, IMHO

You are so right about this. I have never seen Kaio as fired up as he was last basho, and it is up to him to psych himself up once again. Despite my being an Asashoryu fan (despite all his flaws), I have great respect for old-timers like Kaio who have weathered the times, just by being there. I would wish for the bashos to be more exciting just by knowing that even the yokozuna should keep watching his back.