Where Are You Now?

Which Country Are You Living Now?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Which Country Are You Living Now?

• Japan (GMT+9)
    • USA (GMT-5 to -8, -10)
    • Canada (GMT-3.5 to -9)
    • Brazil (GMT-2)
    • Other Central/South America (GMT-3 to -6)
    • Australia (GMT+8 to +10.5)
    • New Zealand (GMT+12)
    • Other Pacific Islands (GMT+10 to 12)
    • China/Hong Kong (GMT+8)
    • South Korea (GMT+9)
    • Taiwan (GMT+8)
    • Singapore (GMT+8)
    • Thailand (GMT+7)
    • Mongolia (GMT+8)
    • Other Asia (GMT+5 to +8)
    • Israel (GMT+2)
    • Other Middle East (GMT+2 to +4)
    • Russia/its Republics (GMT+2 to +12)
    • Georgia/Ukraine/Estonia(Batics) (GST+3 to +4)
    • Great Britain(incl Scotland) (GMT)
    • Ireland (GMT)
    • Germany (GMT+1)
    • Austria (GMT+1)
    • France (GMT+1)
    • Spain (GMT+1)
    • Netherlands (GMT+1)
    • CSFR (GMT+1)
    • Finland (GMT+2)
    • Sweden (GMT+1)
    • Hungary (GMT+1)
    • Poland (GMT+1)
    • Bulgaria (GMT+2)
    • Croatia/Slovenia/fomer Yugoslavia (GMT+1)
    • Other Europe (GMT0 to +2)
    • Africa (GMT0 to +3)
    • Any Other Country (GMT+/- ALL)
    • Not Wishing to Disclose

While reading Kinta-zeki not eschewing the Henka button on a certain sumo game and expatiating upon the value of living behind the GMT Wall, I became rather inquisitive about where everyone is now.

My intention is not to pry on your whereabouts or nationality so I added the last choice for the conscientious objectors of this poll so I will know if I should go stand in the corner and do 499 teppos.

By the way I am aware that Daylight Saving Time is ending this weekend for some of us so the GMT difference is for Standard but I included as a reference only because I am not sure for certain I've got it right or not but I am sure you will correct me in any case.

So let the Games begin!

Edited by Jonosuke

IIRC, there are several ways to refer to that part of the world: England, Great Britain (Scotland, Wales, England), and the United Kingdom (Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England). Is that right?

THis is an expanantion I made for a confused Japanese person.

England is one country on an Island (called Britain), that has 2 other countries, Scotland and Wales.

Those 3 countries form a union called "Great Britain".

England and Wales joined in 1294 and Scotland in 1707.

This was called "Great Britain"

Now here is the tricky part. Ireland is an Island beside "Great Britain". Ireland joined the other 3 in 1801, and they called the new group the

"United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland" Some Irish didnt want to be with "Great Britain" and in 1921 they split Ireland; six northern Irish counties remained part of the United Kingdom as Northern Ireland and the new name is

"the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland",

The United Kingdom" is the short name, but many used the original name of "Britain" or "Great Britain"

The UK also includes a few small places around the world that used to be colonies , territories of the UK which used to be the most powerful union on Earth and controlled a lot of the world. these are

Anguilla, Bermuda, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man, Montserrat, Pitcairn Islands, Saint Helena, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands. These are dependencies of the UK.

Hong Kong used to be part of the UK but the UK gave it back to China in 1997.

(Blinking...)

I am in Japan now but was sorely tempted to click on the NZ option, I love being at the front of the world, you get to Christmas morning first! (Sign of approval)

Switzerland is still forgotten (Blinking...) (as with the homepage of Kumi) (Applauding...) that's why I have selected France whose border is 15 kilometers away from home. :-P

Edited by charliki

THis is an expanantion I made for a confused Japanese person.

England is one country on an Island (called Britain), that has 2 other countries, Scotland and Wales.

Those 3 countries form a union called "Great Britain".

England and Wales joined in 1294 and Scotland in 1707.

This was called "Great Britain"

Now here is the tricky part. Ireland is an Island beside "Great Britain". Ireland joined the other 3 in 1801, and they called the new group the

"United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland" Some Irish didnt want to be with "Great Britain" and in 1921 they split Ireland; six northern Irish counties remained part of the United Kingdom as Northern Ireland and the new name is

"the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland",

The United Kingdom" is the short name, but many used the original name of "Britain" or "Great Britain"

The UK also includes a few small places around the world that used to be colonies , territories of the UK which used to be the most powerful union on Earth and controlled a lot of the world. these are

Anguilla, Bermuda, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man, Montserrat, Pitcairn Islands, Saint Helena, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands. These are dependencies of the UK.

(Blinking...)

I am in Japan now but was sorely tempted to click on the NZ option, I love being at the front of the world, you get to Christmas morning first! (Sign of approval)

Brilliant Seki-san - all it needs to round it off is an expaination of the 'sandwich' effect on the flag (but then that will raise the 'why isn't Wales included' question)

I have given a couple of speeches on this in the past and included mention of 6 languages being spoken at one time or another in the UK

English, Welsh - the rest anyone?

I'd imagine Celtic (don't really know how different the Scots/Irish/Welsh versions are), some Scandinavian Viking language (Danish...?), Norman French maybe, and that Dutch-Germanic bit when folks crossed over... (Blinking...)

Suppose I shouldn't forget the Latin the Romans spoke... (Applauding...)

Edited by Otokonoyama

Sorry Nishi that was a dumbed down version that I made a while back for a Japanese person of mediocre English. I tried to make it as simple as possible for them to understand the basics, words like annex would have caused a melt down.

I threw it in this thread because it explained the terminology of the different names well. In hindsight I can see how you could take offence, no was intended at all.

For what its worth I have visited Ireland and found it to be a superb place.

It was a quick cut and paste..and he he posts in haste....suffers.

Sorry about missing Switzerland.

As for Scotland, I did not intend to star a war.

I initially wrote just Great Britain but I had a Scottish person at office (threathening me with a plateful of haggis so I complied). (Waving white flag...)

it would be more appropriate to compare it to mistaking israeli/palestinian

I did that once (had a Palestinian at school) and was almost eaten. Fortunately did no long term harm and we became friends.

Brilliant Seki-sanĀ  (Blushing...)

6 languages

english

irish

welsh

scots gaelic

cornish

latin

OK bar the latin - other one is Manx ;-)

Although Britain and Great Britain and still used, perhaps erroneously, the only way to really describe all of them as a group is using 'British' unless you cheat and use UK as an adjective (UK citizens, etc)

The other thing that then goes along with the dependencies and territories being part of the UK, is the additional cultural, religious (sometimes), political, legal and other influences of the former British Empire and the more recent Commonwealth. This connection has greatly influenced the repsective countries in good and bad ways alike, and creates connections and alliances that do not necessarily have any geographical logic to them.

I have given a couple of speeches on this in the past and included mention of 6 languages being spoken at one time or another in the UK

English, Welsh - the rest anyone?

Given the colonial influences I have mentioned above, and the postcolonial world in which we live, I guess you could add Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi, Bengali from just the Indian diaspora alone. Not to mention West Indians, Nigerians and other Africans, plus various Chinese dialects as well.

Just to add some more stuff to this confusing debate....

The Republic of Ireland, the UK and some islands (eg The Isle of Man) make up the British Isles (not to be confused with Great Britain, which is the largest island in the British Isles).

As far as I understand, Wales became legally incorporated as part of 'England' in the 10th Century, by 'annexation'. (Please don't flame me!), this is why laws etc are for 'England and Wales'. Scotland has its own laws, as does Northern Ireland (I think). Money is the same. England and Wales print their own money (in Wales, as it happens), Scotland and Northern Ireland print their own notes (which are not technically legal tender in England and Wales, although most shops will accept them.)

When Wales was 'annexed' to England, the Welsh were promised a Prince to rule them who could not speak a word of English. They were conned, as the Prince given to them was the King of England's first-born son - who as a baby, couldn't speak a word of ANY language. The eldest son of the monarch is still called the Prince of Wales (currently Charles, Prince of Wales).

The union between England (and Wales) and Scotland occured after the death of the 'Virgin' Queen Elizabeth, who naturally had no children. The next in line for the English throne was the Scottish King James (who despite being her Junior by about 30 years, had actually tried to marry her to make the union during her lifetime!) His mother was 'Bloody Mary, Queen of Scots', BTW, who Elizabeth had beheaded. From the Cathiolic point of view, Elizabeth was illegitimate (the daughter of Henry VIII's second wife, his divorce to his first not having been recognised by the Pope), and so Mary should have been the English Monarch.

The upshot of this was that on the death of Elizabeth, the Scottish King became the English King too, (so it could be viewed as Scotland getting the upper hand here). The two flags of the countries were joined to make the original Union Flag (The crosses of George and Andrew]. Wales was not included as it was technically part of England (No Flames please!!!). It was either this King James, (or perhaps his son), who was responsible for the well-known King James Bible.

Ireland was 'colonised' in the same way as Africa, North America etc were colonised, and the original inhabitants treated nearly as badly. The cross of St Patrick was added to the Union Flag (Union Jack as it is sometimes called).

After much protesting in the early 20th Century, Ireland was granted its independence. This was planned to be for the WHOLE of the island, but there was a lot of violent protests in Ulster (one of the four Irish provinces), by the Protestants living there - who were descended from the colonisers, (and mostly had Scottish roots, BTW), the UK government decided to solve the short term problem, by retaining Northern Ireland (which was 6 out of the 9 districts belonging to Ulster. The remaining 3 districts were mostly Catholic, and so were allowed independence with the rest of Eire), but this of course caused the long-term problem which continues today.

In short, England annexed Wales. Scotland then made a union (under a Scottish King) with the result. Then the Union colonised Ireland. Then Eire gained independence from the United Kingdom, leaving Northern Ireland under UK rule.

All the above is from memory, and so probably has a number of errors- so please don't flame me :)

Jejima

I live in Belgium, but since I speak Dutch and Holland is not far away, I voted for the Netherlands.

Loved the extra hour of sleep yesterday...

The King James Bible is most probably this James you talk of, although that is off the top of my head. He was James I (James VI or Scotland). His son was Charles I and I think it was Charles' son who was James II, certainly the second James was a wee down the line, and interrupted by the interregnum of Oliver Cromwell and his son.

The reason I suggest that the Bible was under James I is that he was one of the most active, if somewaht eccentric, kings. The sirloin cut of meat came after he knighted a piece of meat (not sure why, he liked it I guess). He was also renowned for selling off knighthoods up and down the country to make sure that he had plenty of cronies.

Charles I, his son, scared the Protestants because he was very into High Anglicanism, which included a lot of ceremony in the religion and was seen as being a tilt back towards Catholicism. He is partly the reason that the US constitution allows people to bear arms. Because certain people were afraid that the king would change to Catholicism and they wouldn't be able to do anything about it without being treasonous, when the pilgrims went to America for religious freedom they took that idea of being able to protect their religious freedom through the use of weapons.

And there is another potted history off the top of my head that deserves to be corrected.

It was either this King James, (or perhaps his son), who was responsible for the well-known King James Bible.

When in doubt, look it up.

Exil, finrandojin (GMT+2), thinks this poll should be moved to Off-topic.

Edit: Relocated.

Edited by Exil

Living in Grimsby on the East coast of England-

Presently though I am in an internet cafe in Inverness(Scotland) bus station on my way home from my 2 week holiday in Stornoway in the outer Hebrides-

Just in time for the coming basho!

I regret to say that I am still in Bulgaria, currently in my last undergraduate semester. Can't wait to get back to Japan for grad school! If everything works out as planned, next fall I'll be watching sumo live again! As for this basho, I'll have to wake up early in the morning to follow the web stream :-(

Currently in Chiba City, though will likely be moving back to the greater L.A. area in about six weeks or so. :-/

Currently in Iwamotocho, Tokyo, about 20 mins walk from the Kokugikan. Unfortunately it is not basho time in Tokyo, otherwise I would be camped in Ryogoku all day watching the goings on. Will be heading back to NZ in a week.

Ex-Yu, of course, wrong side of the wall... Ah, yes extra hour of sleep, and a holiday on monday: excellent week, this. :-D

Currently living in HK.

BTW, it is not quite true that the UK gave HK back to China.

The UK only had a peramnent hold on Hong Kong Island and Kowloon, on which the majority of the citizens live, and where the "heart" of Hong Kong lies.

The UK also had a 99-year lease over the New Territories (which ended in 1997), It is much much larger geographically, but is less populated (about 40% of the people live there and commute to work).

They could not very well return just the New Territories because almost half of the population lived there, so they were forced to return everything.

In the US, but heading to Tokyo around new years with the intent of looking to move there permanently at some point (I hear they need more corporate attorneys there and that nobody in the Bush family runs the place...)

In the US, but heading to Tokyo around new years with the intent of looking to move there permanently at some point (I hear they need more corporate attorneys there and that nobody in the Bush family runs the place...)

Hmm, good luck. Tokyo may not be the best place to find jobs. Several firms have pulled out there recently. Just last week, Dorsey & Whitney pull the plug on their Tokyo office.