Akinomaki

Hatsu 2023 discussion (results)

Some Lower division Yusho. 

Ochiai takes it with the most impressive victory yet against former College standout Kazekeno. Ochiai was forced to switch strategies after Kaze stopped his grab, meaning the new Miyagino recruit went and got a nice push down. Would make him the first TD to win on his debut in I think 20 or so years? Also means a probable promotion if all goes well 

Second time Wakanosho has lost/choked on the last day, with rank filler Kaizen getting his first Yusho in the process. Both men will return to Makushita next tournament. 

Takerufuji starts his career off 14-0. Beating out Inner Mongolian fighter Daiseizan who was a runner up for a whopping 4 Yusho now (with the latest 3 all coming from a final day loss) 

Okano lost today, and so we get a 3 way playoff in JK between him, Kazenoumi, and Kitanosho. 

• Like 4

Good match between Kinbozan and Asanoyama. I thought Asa showed his experience and was a bit more composed during their exchanges, while Kinbozan, despite yet again showing power far beyond his ranking, got too excited and overextended himself when he saw he was close to pushing the former ozeki out. Looks like there's a good chance they'll rematch in makuuchi next basho.

And Ochiai - kid is a monster! I hope he's promoted to juryo for next basho. Exciting to have such a good prospect on the scene. 

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

Looks like Shonannoumi is no fluke with his impressive win against genki Daishoho. How far will he go?

Haven't seen Enho in a while but he wrestled today in Makuuchi. Looks like he's put on a good 20+ pounds of heft, which will bode well for him if he hopes to make it back and stick around again at the top division. 

Is it just me or is nirame-ai making a comeback? Not that I mind, it's a good way to pep up an already spicy bout even further.

Takakeishō stops the rot and temporarily blocks Ōnoshō's yūshō ambitions. Another tomoe-sen playoff incoming?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chartorenji said:

Would make him the first TD to win on his debut in I think 20 or so years?

Last time was Shimoda in Natsu 2006. The banzuke was crowded and so he didn't get promoted to Juryo. Sadly it turned out that he'll never got to the paid ranks.

3 minutes ago, Doitsuyama said:
3 hours ago, Chartorenji said:

Would make him the first TD to win on his debut in I think 20 or so years?

Last time was Shimoda in Natsu 2006. The banzuke was crowded and so he didn't get promoted to Juryo. Sadly it turned out that he'll never got to the paid ranks.

The first Makushita TD, that is. There have been five Sandanme TD yusho winners since then.

1 minute ago, Jakusotsu said:

The first Makushita TD, that is. There have been five Sandanme TD yusho winners since then.

ah yeah, that's what I meant in the og post lmao

Good Day 13 to everybody. The tournament is nearing to its end and things are shaping out.

First of all, my most heartfelt congratulations to Azumaryu, who didn't just hit KK but went on today with getting 9-4. With two bouts still ahead of him, he can surely win up some more. Tomorrow he will fight Ichiyamamoto, against whom he won last time (also their only face-to-face until tomorrow) and who is known to slow down in the last days. However, if he goes 10-4 he will likely get someone tougher on Day 15, perhaps Kotoshoho especially if the latter loses against Daieisho tomorrow.

A nice surprise has been Oho's win against Sadanoumi, only his second win in sever encounters against the veteran. It's a good sign he wants to remain in Maakuchi. Staying with two wins alone, however, still leaves him demotion zone (2-13 at M8w = M19w), so he will likely try to get at least another win in the next two days. Another guy with plans to stay up is Tsurugisho, who slapped down Myogiryu and now cruises at 6-7 with KK still possible although I believe he will be safe also with a 7-8.

Going up.... well, here's the circus. Mitakeumi, in his last incarnation as shokkiri practitioner, lost by attempting the lamest henka I ever saw in Maakuchi (true, I'm not following sumo since that long, yet...). Very tellingly, he was defeated by Tobizaru. Let's be honest, that's circus.

Anyway, today the san'yaku looked good for a change. The only underwhelming performance was provided - unsurprisingly - by Shodai, losing for the second time in eight encounters against Ryuden. Hoshoryu also lost, but he's fully excused because of his ankle, although he will get a hard time in getting his eight win in the next two days. Tomorrow he gets Takakeisho, and on Day 15 I'd say Shodai, both very difficult clients although in very different ways. Speaking about Takakeisho, the Hamster is still very determined to get this Yusho. He won a hard-fought oshi battle against Onosho and got his front-runner position back. I read that Sadogatake-oyakata officially said that he's not going to be promoted Yokozuna at this point, but he clearly wants to keep pace and try again for Haru.

My highlights for tomorrow: Kiribayama vs. Onosho (3-4) gets the top of my list. Kiribayama is slowing building up his case for Sekiwake and still has an outside chance to trigger a 11-4 massive playoff (if Takakeisho drops one more, it is). His record against Onosho is not impressive at all, but both wrestlers are in top form this basho and there is no easily predictable outcome. Another interesting bout will likely be Wakatakakage vs. Shodai (4-7). WTK is chasing his KK and should better get it tomorrow since he will be most likely paired with Takakeisho on Day 15. Shodai is in danger of MK but he definitively has the upper hand with their precedents, yet he had the upper hand also against Ryuden, and still... Finally, Hoshoryu vs. Takakeisho (2-6) can be an oddly interesting match. Hoshoryu is injured, so it's not going to be a typical bout between the two. Anyway, the Nephew is expected to have a plan to get his KK. musubi no henka-ban incoming?

EDIT: As usual, I involuntarily parroted some of @Seiyashi's conclusions from his promotion topic. My bad. Anyway, I see that Seiyashi (very understandably) doesn't calculate Azumaryu in his Day 15 final rush, and pairs Kotoshoho with Kiribayama, and Onosho with Daieisho. These are very good predictions, which make me wonder who would then take Azumaryu in case he goes 10-4 tomorrow. The next best contenders are perhaps Ryuden and Nishikigi, which I project to go 9-5 after Day 14.

Edited by Hankegami
  • Like 1

Another one toppled by the Jon Moxley of ozumo in a brawl. (Laughing...)

I'm sorry if this all sounds bitter, but I'm mostly more dumbfounded than anything. It's unlike anything else I've seen in ozumo since 2011 or so, with the exception of Hakuho's very last two bouts - the only other time I remember where THE top guy so shamelessly dragged his aites through No Hinkaku territory.

• Like 2

And on a more positive note. I just watched the makushita yusho decider.

BOOM! What a statement that was. It's really hard not to be excited at what's coming next!

4 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Is it just me or is nirame-ai making a comeback? Not that I mind, it's a good way to pep up an already spicy bout even further.

Man I've been watching sumo for 35 years and I still have to go to the glossary sometimes.... that's the "intense staring at the shikkiri" for anyone else who's, ahem, forgotten. 

I haven't seen much of it since the peak years of Takatoriki but then so much of my sumo watching these is brief highlights packages it's hard for me to assess. 

Edited by ryafuji
  • Thanks 2

What a fight from Takakeisho. I don't think he will be promoted to Yokozuna this time but a least with this fight he showed everybody that he is capable of getting the graal ! Onosho was excellent too!

The synchronised propeller tsuppari between Daieisho and Hiradoumi was a sight to behold. Very aesthetically pleasing (Bow...)

Will be very interesting to see what happens in Takakeisho vs Hoshoryuu tomorrow. Knowing Hoshoryuu is injured and Takakeisho relies on explosive tachiai, one might expect a massive henka. On the other hand, Hoshoryuu might want to lead Takakeisho to believe that he's gonna henka on order to draw out a milder tachiai and take advantage of that. The tactical advantage is definitely with Hoshoryuu. I think Takakeisho should just go for his usual tachiai and hope that in case of henka he'll catch it like Tobizaru did today. But I won't blame him if he can't sleep at all tonight thinking about it... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dingo said:

The synchronised propeller tsuppari between Daieisho and Hiradoumi was a sight to behold. Very aesthetically pleasing (Bow...)

I thought to myself, "If they could just do that in the same direction, they could propel the Kokugikan into Tokyo Bay!"

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, dingo said:

Will be very interesting to see what happens in Takakeisho vs Hoshoryuu tomorrow. The tactical advantage is definitely with Hoshoryuu.

I was thinking exactly the opposite. I'm dreading that match and what it might mean for Hoshoryuu's year if not entire career. I doubt he can dodge well enough and if Takakeisho connects at the right angle then our wonderboy might find his ankle in horrible shape. It's pretty clear from the bouts since the injury that putting any weight on it is excruciating for him at the moment.

35 minutes ago, Yarimotsu said:

I was thinking exactly the opposite. I'm dreading that match and what it might mean for Hoshoryuu's year if not entire career. I doubt he can dodge well enough and if Takakeisho connects at the right angle then our wonderboy might find his ankle in horrible shape. It's pretty clear from the bouts since the injury that putting any weight on it is excruciating for him at the moment.

I would agree. Except for a henka that works, which will be hard to pull off against a worn down Takakeisho who won't be quick off the line, I don't see any way Hoshryu wins.  He can't get near Takakeisho's belt and he doesn't have the ability to move around well and avoid him. I'm expecting Hoshryu to get pushed out easily and put his hopes for a KK on an easy matchup Day 15.

Juryo yusho race is now down to two unless Tsurugisho manages to win the crucial match to reach 7-7 over Kinbozan

1 hour ago, Athenayama said:

Hakuyozan's almost systematic extra shoves (whenever he has a chance) are annoying.

Agree.....usually extra shoves happen after a heated match where there's a bit of tension, but he does it almost invariably when he pushes someone out, no matter the circumstances. It's as if he thinks he have to actually push the opponent off the dohyo to win.

Edited by Katooshu

Happy WakaBro Day to everyone! Ah, sure, hope you enjoyed the rest of Day 14 too.

As you may have noticed, both Wakamotoharu and Wakatakakage got their KK today, joining their older brother Wakatakamoto who got his down in Makushita yesterday. Most important, both of them have ensured their rank for another basho. Also, considering that Kiribayama is just one win behind a formal claim for an extra spot as Sekiwake (although I believe they could open one for him also with a 10-5), most probably WMH will get an ordinary Komusubi spot in Haru, possibly even K1e if Kotonowaka goes MK tomorrow. WakaBro life is good.

WakaBros aside, it's Pushover Day in the arasoi - literally. Onosho was as nervous as a violin's string today, and he rushed too much against Kiribayama. Easy hatakikomi. Oddly enough, Hoshoryu did the same against Takakeisho - you know, the guy with a mortal left paw and a faster sidestepping than his mass would suggest. Hatakikomi, again. This means that the front-runner position for Day 15 is down to two people: 11-3 Takakeisho and Kotoshoho, chased by 10-4 Kiribayama and Onosho. This also means that the Banzuke Committee has two choices for senshuraku: either giving Onosho to Daieisho, Kotoshoho to Kiribayama, and Takakeisho to Wakatakakage with a chance to get a four-way playoff (Onosho, Kiribayama, and Wakatakakage winning would mean putting at 11-4 Takakeisho, Kiribayama, Onosho, and Kotoshoho), or feeding Kotoshoho to Takakeisho. The first option would be great fun, but the second would give a tournament winner directly (likely the Hamster, has a 2-0 record against him). I like the first option better, but only because I'm rooting for Kiribayama to pull an Aki 2017 Harumafuji (here). I admit that Kotoshoho vs. Takakeisho on senshuraku would make more sense, though.

Underwhelmed by the quality of the sumo, overall, on day 14. Big matches, in particular, failed to deliver the goods. That is all.

• Like 2