Akinomaki

Hatsu 2023 discussion (results)

1 hour ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

I'm not so fond of Takakeisho's sumo so I'd grumble a bit if he took the rope, but on the flip side I really want to see the first banzuke in sumo history without a true ozeki on it.

Been there done that. Aki 1981.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

I'm not so fond of Takakeisho's sumo so I'd grumble a bit if he took the rope, but on the flip side I really want to see the first banzuke in sumo history without a true ozeki on it.

Second.

17 minutes ago, Kotononami said:

Hoshoryu is back tomorrow.

I expect a lot of henkas forthcoming

Asa is the star in juryo, but Kinbozan is looking way above that level himself and has been showing overwhelming power vs his opponents. It seems inevitable that he'll be in makuuchi next basho and probably won't see juryo again for a while.

Edited by Katooshu

Takakeisho wrenched that arm pretty good. Dude is hungry and handling these fools with ease even when the opponent gets him at first. 

Question to everyone else, who do you think can beat him at this point. All Sanyaku from here, and he just seems levels above. 

12 minutes ago, Chartorenji said:

Question to everyone else, who do you think can beat him at this point. All Sanyaku from here, and he just seems levels above.

Shodai, of course.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

People are sleeping on Hiradoumi. The guy is very young by current sumo standards, so he can still grow technically. Has tremendous energy and fighting spirit. I have no doubts that if nothing dramatic happens, he will reach sekiwake and maybe higher.

• Like 1

Good Day 10 to everyone. Back to bore everyone with my very questionable highlights.

News of the day (Hoshoryu getting a day off aside) is Chiyomaru being Juryo-bound by the numbers (barring a 7-8 and some good circumstances). That's the oompeth time he goes up-and-down. Maybe we should call him Juryobelly. Another guy I see very bad is Oho, who lost against Tsurugisho despite their cushy 3-1 record. At M8w, Oho should usually be too high to be deemed at risk, although a 2-13 could kick him down if there are enough claims in the upper Juryo. In other words, he must win out. Tomorrow there will be a Darwinian match between Chiyomaru and Oho, precedents at 1-1. In normal circumstances, I would call it a cakewalk for Oho, but the potato sack today on the ring could be Belly'd easily.

As @Taliesin rightfully pointed out above here, Hiradoumi is doing low-key very good. Today he won for his first time ever (0-3 precedents) against Ichiyamamoto and kept his third place in the arasoi. Another guy not getting enough praise here is Nishikigi, who surprisingly manhandled an on paper difficult foe such as Takanosho. He's really having a great basho, and he's also third place with 7-3.

Who is NOT doing good is Wakatakakage, who lost for the first time ever against Sadanoumi (the same guy Takakeisho jeeted out of the dohyo yesterday, iirc). He must have a fetish for failing Ozeki runs, I cannot explain his behavior otherwise. Who is not eager to fail his own run is of course Takakeisho, who apparently decided to become a kokenage connoisseur. It's not a bad idea to counter a side grip on your mawashi. I don't say it's going to work every time, but it worked perfectly with Meisei's left grip.

Tomorrow will be another interesting day. Grand highlight will be probably Onosho vs. Kotoshoho (4-1), which will likely slim down the runner-up spot to one guy. Records say Onosho and I would personally agree, but never say never. On the other hand, I am positive that Takakeisho is going to slap around Kotonowaka as per usual (5-1 precedents) and keep his sole lead with 10-1. Another arasoi meaningful match will be Nishikigi vs. Tamawashi (1-6), with the Old Fox being the clear favorite to keep his third place. But Nishikigi is not your usual Nishikigi, so - again - never say never. In another basho, Wakatakakage vs. Kiribayama (5-7) would have been a major event, but WTK is getting too many things wrong this Hatsu. I am not confident at all at this point.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2023 at 08:57, since_94 said:

Enho very darn lucky to not come away from his Day 9 match against Akua with a broken neck.

...and on Day 10 his elbow was horribly twisted by Tochimusashi's brutal kotenage attempt. Does the little guy even have bones?

• Like 1

Hoshoryu had been given a medical certificate "Hatsu basho kyujo needed for a sprained left ankle", they didn't even bother to give a length of time needed for recovery, it was obviously a short absence. According to the oyakata the ankle slipped out of place once and he put it back himself on the dohyo. He wanted to reenter by any means to preserve a sanyaku rank and gives it a try now using painkillers. One win more should be enough to remain, as komusubi, the oyakata hopes he somehow gets that 7th win. http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2023/01/17/kiji/20230117s00005000274000c.html

Probably he'll ruin his chances to get to ozeki this year

• Sad 2

With Takakeisho’s newfound love for kotenage (his two this basho account for 50% of his career total), I wonder if he’s learned from Tamawashi, another pusher-thruster who makes use of that kimarite when the oshi attack fails. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Hoshoryu had been given a medical certificate "Hatsu basho kyujo needed for a sprained left ankle", they didn't even bother to give a length of time needed for recovery, it was obviously a short absence. According to the oyakata the ankle slipped out of place once and he put it back himself on the dohyo. He wanted to reenter by any means to preserve a sanyaku rank and gives it a try now using painkillers. One win more should be enough to remain, as komusubi, the oyakata hopes he somehow gets that 7th win. http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2023/01/17/kiji/20230117s00005000274000c.html

Probably he'll ruin his chances to get to ozeki this year

There's nothing new under the sun, eh?

9 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

With Takakeisho’s newfound love for kotenage (his two this basho account for 50% of his career total), I wonder if he’s learned from Tamawashi, another pusher-thruster who makes use of that kimarite when the oshi attack fails. 

What's amazing about it (and what makes it not a desperation move) is how fast Takakeishō is to resort to it once he doesn't go anywhere with oshi. Meisei came in and blunted the initial thrusts, then went to yotsu, but the moment Meisei got the migi-shitate grip, Takakeishō's elbow went around the arm for the kotenage.

It's almost like Terunofuji's kime hold answer to any fool who dares morozashi him, except kotenage works with only one arm. And the best part is, he's debuted this new weapon at an excellent time, because now everyone's going to second-guess their yotsu battle plan against him.

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

...and on Day 10 his elbow was horribly twisted by Tochimusashi's brutal kotenage attempt. Does the little guy even have bones?

That was cringeworthy. My heart was in my throat. Fortunately, it appears your question can be answered in the negative 

I thought it will be the fault of Wakamotoharu if the brothers fail in the attempt to be the first ever pair in lower sanyaku to get a kachikoshi at the same time, but he is 6-4  without sanyaku opponents left and Wakatakakage 5-5 plus yet to meet all other possible sanyaku - Takakeisho in the end, usually Hoshoryu (unlikely he'll make it till then) and Shodai for days 14 and 13 and Kotonowaka on day 12.

Shodai turned it around and won convincingly as if he were still an ozeki - going on with the projected path:

22 hours ago, Sakura said:

On Shodai: It'd be just like him to get 6 losses to ensure a non-promotion and then run the table.

Edited by Akinomaki

5 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

There's nothing new under the sun, eh?

This time out seems his own decision rather than the oyakata's. However there's no telling what goes on behind the scenes. I have a feeling that if Hoshoryuu wants to continue, the oyakata won't try too hard if at all to convince him otherwise. 

Just now, dingo said:

This time out seems his own decision rather than the oyakata's. However there's no telling what goes on behind the scenes. I have a feeling that if Hoshoryuu wants to continue, the oyakata won't try too hard if at all to convince him otherwise. 

Judging from what is written in the reports, Hoshoryu wanted it and the oyakata was in favor of his return, not just not trying to talk him out of it

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dingo said:

Ankles are the hardest to diagnose from the TV screen.  "Anything form one day to one year" is the usual prognosis.

After today's win against Kotonowaka 7 out of 10 of Mitakeumi's kimarite have been yorikiri, including a loss to Tamawashi!

I don't know if it's injuries that have forced him to take this route but he's looking pretty good at it and I was surprised to see him only at 5-5, it feels like he's been fighting better than that.

14 hours ago, Chartorenji said:

Takakeisho wrenched that arm pretty good.

Like a little T-Rex. 

The guy is in the zone

• Like 1

Was it Hoshoryu's dominant henka ankle, though? Maybe he is ambihenkaxtrous? 

Edited by Benevolance
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Taliesin said:

People are sleeping on Hiradoumi. The guy is very young by current sumo standards, so he can still grow technically. Has tremendous energy and fighting spirit. I have no doubts that if nothing dramatic happens, he will reach sekiwake and maybe higher.

I don't think anyone's sleeping on him. As you aptly summarized, he is an exciting up-and-comer with great potential who as already shown flashes of what he can be, but he's still very young and just getting his makuuchi career started, so it'll take some time before he reaches his prime. Joi mainstay and sanyaku are certainly within his reach, and beyond that, who knows? But he's an exciting young prospect to watch even now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

I don't think anyone's sleeping on him. As you aptly summarized, he is an exciting up-and-comer with great potential who as already shown flashes of what he can be, but he's still very young and just getting his makuuchi career started, so it'll take some time before he reaches his prime. Joi mainstay and sanyaku are certainly within his reach, and beyond that, who knows? But he's an exciting young prospect to watch even now. 

I know some were underestimating him mostly due to his lack of true skills. He was out fighting rather then out skilling his opponents if that makes sense. 

Good physique on Hiradoumi, too. He looks the goods.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Benevolance said:

Was it Hoshoryu's dominant henka ankle, though? Maybe he is ambihenkaxtrous? 

I know you're joking, but I personally don't think that Hoshoryu henka's so much that he deserves the label of a henka'er. 

• Like 1