Akinomaki

Hatsu 2023 discussion (results)

18 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

No doubt it was highly entertaining for the fans, but should Asanoyama be having this much trouble with Rōga?

Roga beat Terunofuji for the Jonidan yusho while the future Yokozuna was on his way back. Sure, Teru wasn’t in his absolute best of health, but he was still a former Ozeki at 7-0 and Roga was a rookie.

Since Chiyotairyu retired I have had a vacancy for favourite rikishi, but I think Midorifuji has now filled it. That was an awesome technical bout against Hoshoryu. He's small but he's hugely skilled.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Morty said:

Since Chiyotairyu retired I have had a vacancy for favourite rikishi, but I think Midorifuji has now filled it. That was an awesome technical bout against Hoshoryu. He's small but he's hugely skilled.

That was just an awesome bout all around. Too bad the oshi never belt guys seem poised to take this basho.

Honestly I've never been anywhere near upset about a yokozuna promotion but if Takakeisho takes the rope I will be drearily wistful, I'll tell you what.

8 hours ago, Rocks said:

That was a long time ago.  @Kintamayama highlights must have been 240x240 in 8 bit color.

Black and white.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, code_number3 said:

TAKAKEISHO WITH KOTENAGE!!! And also bloody nose

the most spirited performance from him in a min. Dude wants to show he is ready for promotion

Good Day 7 and good weekend to everyone.

It's hard to be a Wakatakakage fan, almost as being a Mitakeumi fan. Only being a Shodai fan is harder. And I am all three (well, not hardcore fan, otherwise I would have already died in pain). Anyway, WakaBro3 is a Purgatory sentence to watch, if you were rooting for him to build an Ozeki run. I mean, Nishikifuji? Ok, he's good, but Waka, my man, you were leading your precedents with a neat 2-0. I really swore when WTK fell down. Someone must tell him that hitting the gym does not give extra points for free. That's the Decathlon discount. He must win at least the matches he's prospected to win. Damn him (Hitthewall...)

Passing to Day 7 in general, Onosho kepps going impressively. He really rammed through Hiradoumi. The only guy ramming harder is Daieisho, who jeeted out Sadanoumi like a rag doll. For the rest, the day went pretty much as expected. Abi gave more trouble to Hoshoryu than their 1-4 record would have suggested, but the Nephew shows again to be in a good shape and resisted the strangling. And of course, Midorifuji made Takakeisho sweat and obliged him to get technical. Poor Hamster is compelled to play the Ura to get that damn rope. Jokes aside, this bout showed that Takakeisho's limited technical appareil is in part due to his size. Midorifuji is Hamster size himself (barring weight), so 'Keisho coud show he's not just a disco bouncer with a mawashi.

Tomorrow will be interesting. The opening will be Hokuseiho vs. Mitoryu, surprisingly 0-1 for the latter. Will Mitoryu repeat himself? Going up through the joy-jin, Kiribayama vs. Abi is a must. With a 2-1 precedent, Kiribayama is the favorite. Another potentially upsetting match is Sadanoumi vs. Hoshoryu. I'm not joking, they are 3-3 but Sadanoumi leads 3-1 in the last four precedents. Hosh won the last one, but Sada really needs to win out so he will certainly try to get back to his old results. Finally, I am already taking painkillers while waiting for Wakatakakage vs. Midorifuji (1-1). Considering how much trouble the latter gave 'Keisho today, I fear that Waka will be Waka and pull a Waka like today.

• Like 1

Today’s musubi no ichiban, wow. Seriously enthralling. Respect to Midorifuji, he’s been especially entertaining this basho and really threw the kitchen sink at Takakeishō. Takakeishō is just too on form. It was nice to see Nishikifuji looking out for his stablemate as he tried to get back on the dohyō for the decision. Tomorrow Nishikifuji gets an opportunity to avenge Midorifuji’s loss against the Ōzeki.

Hōshōryū did well to absorb Abi’s nodowa with the staggered stance, then pivot around him at the tawara. I’ve seen that approach work a few times against Abi. 

Shout out to Daieishō who is currently joint leader, beating all 4 Sekiwake and a Komusubi - tomorrow he faces Meisei who he has a 11-2 career record against. 

Impressive recovery from Ochiai to then bulldoze out the veteran Daiseiryū, and Kawazoe’s utchari against Tochikamiyama was masterful. With Hokuseihō’s victory, it was a good day for Miyagino-beya…

Finally, the Okinohama vs Oginohama bout we’ve all been waiting for:
https://youtu.be/Ng0HaPpjwJ8?s=239

Edited by rokudenashi

Shodai has to survive 8 days unbeaten. Not going to happen. We are about to permanently lose our second Ozeki in as many basho. 

Konosuke won't leapfrog the others for tate-gyoji after this blatant sashi-chigae mistake. On the other hand Inosuke yesterday got appraisal (on NHK) as tate-gyoji for his precise (shimpan confirmed) decision in the Hoshoryu bout.

We likely won't get a Shonosuke this year either. And with this low level of sumo recently, we don't need one.

Edit: and just yesterday Konosuke got appraisal for his good work in a mawashi matta, fixing a loose mawashi

img_6903a5a069bccf4dce029da7dcdaa32c344483.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Morty said:

You are going to like today’s bout then. 

• Like 1

Day 6. 8 co-leaders. None of them faced each other on day 7. That's 8 bouts, yes?. After day 7, 5 co-leaders. Day 8- nobody faces another. I think it's a great idea, if it's being done on purpose. Why kill off the opposition if it can wait for a few more days and add some suspense to the balagan? <bow>

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Edit: and just yesterday Konosuke got appraisal for his good work in a mawashi matta, fixing a loose mawashi

img_6903a5a069bccf4dce029da7dcdaa32c344483.jpgo

The mawashi was worse after he'd fixed it than it was before. It was actually hanging down at the front rather than just loose.

4 minutes ago, Naganoyama said:

The mawashi was worse after he'd fixed it than it was before. It was actually hanging down at the front rather than just loose.

Kounosuke can do no wrong, even when he's wrong/ AFAIK, the front of the mawashi is untouchable, even by the gyoji. He can only fix the knot in the back.

Right?

38 minutes ago, rhyen said:

You are going to like today’s bout then. 

I certainly did, it was a doozy

Very exciting bout but not sure Midorifuji’s strategy was the wisest. Getting into a harite exchange with Takakeisho is the Ozeki’s game and not a great way to try and move him. It looked great, but Taka absorbed it all fairly easily. Mido was also too immobile, even pausing mid-bout to reload, which also gave short-stamina Takakeisho a chance to breathe. Taka his no sideways mobility, so instead of returning to a slapfest head-on, Mido should have used more lateral movement. Still, top marks for entertainment!

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Naganoyama said:

But he did it properly and didn't ruin the bout, like at the disaster we had in Nagoya with a mawashi matta - even if the result was bad, the work itself was faultless

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rokudenashi said:

I should disclaim that based on precedent I don’t think they will promote Ochiai even if he takes the yūshō 

I'm not sure what precedent you're referring to - the only previous time a Ms15TD went 7-0 they said he would have been promoted if there was an opening, but there wasn't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

I'm not sure what precedent you're referring to - the only previous time a Ms15TD went 7-0 they said he would have been promoted if there was an opening, but there wasn't. 

I got the wrong end of the stick then, I thought it was by nature of his tsukedashi status.

I may be getting ahead of myself but that looked like yokozuna sumo from Takakeisho today. Didn't panic, waited for Midorifuji to make his move and then finished him off nicely. 

• Like 2

Nice to see Hōshōryū, even with his newfound severe manner, is still asking Abi if he's alright after they took a spill into the audience today. You can visibly see Abi nod in response.

I wouldn't write off Wakatakakage's rank just quite yet, since he's rescued worse basho, but his ōzeki bid looks in some trouble especially coming off an 8-7.

Is it just me or has Midorifuji adopted Harumafuji's pre-bout crouch routine? And lovely bout from the two, although Takakeishō has used kotenage before and I wouldn't consider it a significant evolution in his repertoire just yet. Alongside sukuinage, it's usually a desperation move from him.

Edited by Seiyashi

1 hour ago, ryafuji said:

There was no opening because they put him in line behind the ms1w with 4-3, a 7-0 in the normal ms15 would have had priority. Shimoda had bad luck that only 2 spots were open plus that he had not been given the usual priority.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2