Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

71st All Japan sumo championships

The 71st All Japan sumo championships take place on Dec. 4th in the kokugikan - together with the 35th primary school championships. NHK airs the final part live from 17-18h on NHK-G, -G2 in case of an extension.

The scheduled bouts of the tournament have been posted already 11 days ago on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAAXlvIKwl0

Going for ms10TD are corporate yokozuna Ochiai and student yokozuna Choijil - kokutai yokozuna Nakamura already has one and will maybe take it easy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nihon University

Naoya Kusano: this year's East Japan champ; best 8 at the 2022 student championship and best 4 at the 2021 student championship

Masai Hanaoka: Wakayama tournament champ + best 4 at the student championship and Kanazawa national tournament

Ryusho Kawakami: best 4 at this year's East Japan tournament and best 8 finishes at the Usa and Kyushu national tournaments

Mantaro Haruyama: best 4 at the Usa and Kariya national tournaments this year

*When active, Kazuma Kawabuchi was Nihon's best competitor, but since he just returned from a year away due to injury I doubt that he's qualified for this

Nippon Sports Science University

Ryoma Ishizaki: runner-up at the East Japan championship, 3rd place at this year's Kokutai, best 4 at the Kanazawa national tournament

Kanazawa Gakuin University

Shun Ikeda: best 8 at this year's Kokutai and student championship tournament; runner-up at the Kanazawa national tournament, best 4 at Kariya

Omori: West Japan rookie champion this year + best 4 at the Kyushu national tournament + best 16 at the student championship

Kinki University

Taiki Mita: West Japan tournament winner and best 8 at this year's Kokutai and student championship tournament

Shon Fujisawa: 4th place at the Kokutai and best 8 at the 2021 student championship tournament

Shoma Yamazaki: Former West Japan champion, 3rd at the Usa national event this year, 135+ weight class national champion

Takushoku University

Masaharu Goshima: runner-up at this year's Wakayama national tournament 

Toyo University

Odofu: best 4 at last year's All Japan tournament and runner-up at this year's Usa national tournament

Corporate

Taisei Matsuzono: best 4 at the 2020+2021 All Japan Championship; 2022 Kokutai runner-up; 3-0 in the amateurs vs Kinbozan

Tetsuya Ochiai: 2022 Corporate champion, 2021 All Japan best 8. Unsure if he's actually competing though since he's turning pro in January.

Soichiro Kurokawa: runner-up at this year's corporate championship + former Kokutai champ + a two-time runner-up in the All Japans

Kojiro Kurokawa: 2020 All Japan champion + corporate champion 

Hiroshi Takeuchi: winner of this year's Kariya national tournament, beating student yokozuna Choijil in the final

Reo Yamaguchi: 2020 All Japan runner-up, 2021 All Japan best 8, best 8 at this year's Kyushu national tournament

Daisuke Tanaka: 2020 East Japan champion (beating Oshoma in the final) + best 8 at this year's Kyushu national tournament 

Tomohiro Seigo: 2017 All Japan champion, best 4 at the 2022 corporate championship

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Choijil is out in the best 16. 3 from Nittaidai remain in the best 8 of the sdTD qualifiers, Nakamura, Ishizaki and Matsuzono from the Nittaidai staff/coaches, Kusano from Nichidai, Mikami from Toyodai, Yamazaki from Kindai, Goshima from Takudai plus Takeuchi from corporate sumo. http://blog.livedoor.jp/nittaidaisumo/archives/5392913.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Another Nittaidai final, Nakamura vs. his coach Matsuzono, after a Nittaidai qf, 3rd are Ishizaki and Mikami, who had eliminated Choijil.

Amateur yokozuna in a row is Nakamura, 9th yusho winner in a row at the All Japan.

The 3 kanji abbrev. makes it always difficult to distinguish NihonDai 日本大(Nichidai would be nicer) and Nittaidai 日体大

• Like 3

In the interview Nakamura said he'll aim for higher and then as explanation said he wants to fight here again (in the kokugikan) - he's consulting with his coach - Nittaidai is connected to Naruto

(I first thought he wants to fight also at the next All Japan)

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Another Nittaidai final, Nakamura vs. his coach Matsuzono, after a Nittaidai qf, 3rd are Ishizaki and Mikami, who had eliminated Choijil.

Amateur yokozuna in a row is Nakamura, 9th yusho winner in a row at the All Japan.

The 3 kanji abbrev. makes it always difficult to distinguish NihonDai 日本大(Nichidai would be nicer) and Nittaidai 日体大

I expect a post match promo where Ochiai comes down with a steel chair. Anything less and I'll be disappointed. 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

IIRC he already had an Ms15TD? Does this qualify him for Ms10TD?

2 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

IIRC he already had an Ms15TD? Does this qualify him for Ms10TD?

I think he was already qualified for Ms10 even before this tournament. 

• Thanks 1

Nakamura is incredible - that's 5 MsTD granting tournaments he won in college. Keep in mind that due to COVID, the Kokutai, which he won each time he entered, was cancelled twice.

No one else in ozumo right now, which includes 3 former ozeki from the college ranks, won more than 2 major tournaments.

Although COVID cancellations mean Nakamura only competed in about 50-60 percent of the normally scheduled events, he has earned a place among the greatest amateurs ever.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Quick, give him J14TD!

I have pondered to myself about an Ms1TD or a J14TD if someone managed the triple crown of student yokozuna + amateur yokozuna + Kokutai champion in the same year, though to my knowledge it's never been accomplished. Nakamura was one win away this year....

As for the runner-up, that's the third year straight NSSU coach Taisei Matsuzono has made the best 4 of this event, and the second major final he's lost this year to Nakamura. I believe he was also best 4 at the corporate tournament Ochiai won in the summer - so making at least the semifinals of all 3 major tournaments he entered. I hope he wins one of the big titles at some point, because he's gotten so close and performed very well.

Ishizaki has performed consistently well and it's no surprise he made the best 4 - he ends his college career slightly more accomplished than his bigger bro. Mikami is a big surprise though, as despite being 193cm/150kg he's looked underpowered vs anyone B-level or above. Goshima is a powerhouse who continues to put up solid results and looks like he could beat just about anyone on his day, though he can't quite get over the line and win a title yet. Kusano is probably top 5 in the entire college scene and this ends a very good year for him, with a pair of top 8 finishes at the last two major events, a weight class national title, and the East Japan title. He will be a leading contender for next year's big honours.

So, who will score Nakamura? I'd guess it's between Naruto (ties to NSSU + lots of former teammates there), Nishonoseki (two of his closest teammates there + it's a hip heya atm ), and Miyagino (he won the Hakuho Cup in middle school and has been on Hak's radar since). Tamanoi also visited NSSU recently and I believe is friends with Nakamura's head coach, Dr. Saito.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

I have pondered to myself about an Ms1TD or a J14TD if someone managed the triple crown of student yokozuna + amateur yokozuna + Kokutai champion in the same year

TBH Ms5TD doesn't sound unreasonable in so much as it puts you nearer the promotion zone so that a 6-1 and in some cases a 5-2 (such as the basho just gone) gets you up without having to zensho your first time.

54 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

So, who will score Nakamura? I'd guess it's between Naruto (ties to NSSU + lots of former teammates there), Nishonoseki (two of his closest teammates there + it's a hip heya atm ), and Miyagino (he won the Hakuho Cup in middle school and has been on Hak's radar since). Tamanoi also visited NSSU recently and I believe is friends with Nakamura's head coach, Dr. Saito.

Intriguing question. Naruto has been a good recruiter but seems to have an awfully difficult time keeping guys on the dohyo and from hitting the wall in makushita. Nishonoseki is building something intriguing in his progressive sumo world of wonder but I do wonder if the geography will eventually work against him with these types of recruits (probably already been proven wrong tho). Miyagino's pitch is probably that you get to learn from the best and also train with some of the best every day, such his been his recruitment. Also if he's able to get a few to sanyaku in the next couple years and build something like the Futagoyama/Musashigawa of 20-25 years ago it seems like it can be a huge scheduling advantage for those looking to win yusho.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Takayama lost in the first round today at the All Japan and has to start from maezumo. He will join Takekuma-beya, the heya of Saitama Sakae sempai Goeido, where Negishi has joined for Kyushu. http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2022/12/04/0015864199.shtml

High school yokozuna Takayama lost to best 8 Goshima, the other from high school, Narita won his first one and then lost to Igarashi from corporate sumo,

69 students, 51 from corporate sumo, 122 in all.

20221204s00005000338000p_thum.jpgo

42 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Ochiai didn't compete but was in the kokugikan 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Katooshu said:

I have pondered to myself about an Ms1TD or a J14TD if someone managed the triple crown of student yokozuna + amateur yokozuna + Kokutai champion in the same year, though to my knowledge it's never been accomplished. Nakamura was one win away this year....

I've always thought two tournament wins should grant you a Ms5TD -> the difference between losing a final and winning one is Sd100 vs Ms15, yet winning an entire new tournament barely gets you anywhere. 5 wins from Ms15 puts you above Ms10

• Like 1

In a later interview Nakamura said: "There's only sumo for me. I quickly want to become sekitori." He'll decide the details after a talk with head coach Saito and his parents, joining after graduation. The last one to get the yusho in a row was 25 years ago Tamiya (Kotomitsuki)

final against Matsuzono

4.jpgo 4.jpgo

20221204at31S_t.jpgo4.jpgob_15864235.jpgo

4.jpgo20221204at32S_t.jpgo4.jpgo

4.jpgo 4.jpgo

3020013493_20221204191952_s.jpgvid

no pic with the rope yet

20221204s00005000616000p_thum.jpgo  20221204-OHT1I51279-N.jpgo20221204at33S_t.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo

best 4 - 3rd Ishizaki and Mikawa

efce9a15.jpg

with the parents

24IW3VYLGJOM5IHS3MLWGOEK7Y.jpg

This month with his hope for the tournament, "Belief comes true" - not dream like Hakuho, he believes in himself

img_6df5db44802abbc4c9a2ebabfe9ba0f51736547.jpgo

• Like 3

1 hour ago, maglor said:

I've always thought two tournament wins should grant you a Ms5TD -> the difference between losing a final and winning one is Sd100 vs Ms15, yet winning an entire new tournament barely gets you anywhere. 5 wins from Ms15 puts you above Ms10

Yeah, Ms10 vs Ms15 makes little difference, while Ms5 gives the possibility of promotion without having to go 7-0.

1 hour ago, Reonito said:

Yeah, Ms10 vs Ms15 makes little difference, while Ms5 gives the possibility of promotion without having to go 7-0.

The difference is that the Ms15TD who got to 7-0 wasn't promoted because he was outside the top 30 - ms10TD would definitely be promoted with a 7-0

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

The difference is that the Ms15TD who got to 7-0 wasn't promoted because he was outside the top 30 - ms10TD would definitely be promoted with a 7-0

I think there's difference of opinion on whether that single example sets a precedent for 7-0 at Ms15TD, but for sure 7-0 from Ms10TD would be promoted.