Benihana

How Macarons are made

1) Thanks so much for this video.  It was truly educational.

2) The English captions were very helpful; it's also helping me to learn German a little better.

3) This is another example of the difference between an artist and an artisan.  These macarons are each a work of art, but no artist (except maybe Seurat) would relish the task of perfectly shaping the dollops of filling, with a piping bag, thousand of times a day.

4) Of course the remaining question is: how do they make the gigantic Basho Macarons?

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

4) Of course the remaining question is: how do they make the gigantic Basho Macarons? 

Surely those are not edible. The Japanese make a lot of food 'samples' for illustration purposes. I imagine they are made of plastic.

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

My friend Kaminariyuki started a thread back in Dec 2020 about the giant macaron, and part of the discussion focused on how it was possibly made.  Someone mentioned extruded polymer which is probably closest to the truth.

39 minutes ago, Naganoyama said:

Surely those are not edible. The Japanese make a lot of food 'samples' for illustration purposes. I imagine they are made of plastic.

Imagined English translation of NHK awards announcer: "Like the almond flour that goes into the regular macaron, the polystyrene in the Pierre Herme Giant Sumo Macaron adds a neutral flavor note."

Note: I believe, seriously, that one of the most impressive pieces of art I've ever seen is a marzipan-and polymer-clay "Sushi Supreme" display at a Japanese restaurant I once visited.

• Haha 1