Yamanashi

Ridiculous Predictions Kyushu 2022

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

After a great start, Shodai cools off; Mitakeumi continues his 2 for 1 W/L ratio.  So, on Day 15 the matchup is Mitakeumi 9/5 versus Shodai 7-7.  Yutakayama, of all people, convinces Shodai to pull a henka.  "Jeez, I'm not sure", Shodai thinks, but he's a sucker for free advice.  He knows he's going to have to run real fast off to the side, but ... what next?

At the tachiai Mitakeumi is totally fooled; but since he doesn't come out very low, he can see Shodai whizzing by to his right, and turns around.  Shodai is standing there trying to figure out what to do next, and Mitakeumi pushes him out from behind.

2023 Hatsu basho preview: " ... and former Ozeki Shodai will be aiming for 10 wins to regain his ... Ozeki ranking."

Wait.......... Isn't this supposed to be "Ridiculous Predictions"?????  This all sounds quite plausible! lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

Wait.......... Isn't this supposed to be "Ridiculous Predictions"?????  This all sounds quite plausible! lol

It's the fantasy world of Shodai ... we just rent there.

On 13/11/2022 at 10:53, Yamanashi said:

No, of course not.  But she gets a VIP tour of Akua's ... [she, referring to mystery lady from Houston, Texas]

On 13/11/2022 at 15:35, Reonito said:

I was really worried when I started reading this 

I'm going to get myself in trouble if I start speculating what "VIP tour" means.  Hmmmmmm, could it be "Very Impressive      - - - - -?"  Nah!

Edited by sumojoann

5 hours ago, hakutorizakura said:

I missed this thread, thanks a bunch folks :-D

It's not too late for you to contribute!

• Like 1

Terunofuji comes back on day 5 from Kyujo and wins 10 in a row and goes kyujo on day 15 and wins the yusho over 9 win Shodai and 9 win Mitakeumi 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sumojoann said:

I'm going to get myself in trouble if I start speculating what "VIP tour" means.  Hmmmmmm, could it be "Very Impressive      - - - - -?"  Nah!

Very Important Person, of course.

Starting day 7 the judging department will decide that the makuuchi yusho will be decided by single elimination tournament to be held over the second week

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Starting day 7 the judging department will decide that the makuuchi yusho will be decided by single elimination tournament to be held over the second week

How do you handle the byes?

Royal rumble-style kettei-sen, including everyone ranked above M6. Apart from Shodai.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Suwihuto said:

Royal rumble-style kettei-sen, including everyone ranked above M6. Apart from Shodai.

Didn't we have a Makuuchi = Premiere League Juryo a few basho ago?

• Like 1

Hoshoryu goes kyujo after countering a sweep attempt by pulling off a quadruple leg wrap, breaking his tibia into four pieces. Nonetheless he receives the gino-sho.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wakatakakage and Mitakeumi both race up for Ozeki, only for Shodai to ruin both runs by Day 13 and Day 14 wins. Takakeisho still beats Shodai on Day 15, making him 7-8. Only one Ozeki. 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Chartorenji said:

Wakatakakage and Mitakeumi both race up for Ozeki, only for Shodai to ruin both runs by Day 13 and Day 14 wins. Takakeisho still beats Shodai on Day 15, making him 7-8. Only one Ozeki. 

Too good not to add some post-basho extra spice.

Terunofuji will announce his unexpected intai the day after, putting the NSK in disarray. Some suggest to declare Shodai victim of long COVID and retroactively putting him on hold since March. Other to promote either Wakatakakage or Mitakeumi if they win a sumo karaoke contest (they won't). Some ventilate a special promotion for Takayasu, but the matter is quickly dropped after it was revealed he lost the Kyushu basho (because of course he did) against Sadanoumi - Sadanoumi Koji, disguised as his son because he lost a bet with Hakkaku the night before. The matter is eventually solved by the Japanese government, who declares Takakeisho dense enough to be juridically two people, providing this way two Ozeki for Hatsu 2023.

Edited by Hankegami
  • Haha 3

Next basho, with Takayasu at Sekiwake, the 4 Sekiwake and Takakeisho mostly don't lose to anyone outside of the group.  The intragroup 10 losses are distributed so Takakeisho has 1, the non-Shodai Sekiwake have 2 each, and Shodai has 3, which gives him two extra losses to still make it back.  This will be enough to see all 5 of them promoted.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Next basho, with Takayasu at Sekiwake, the 4 Sekiwake and Takakeisho mostly don't lose to anyone outside of the group.  The intragroup 10 losses are distributed so Takakeisho has 1, the non-Shodai Sekiwake have 2 each, and Shodai has 3, which gives him two extra losses to still make it back.  This will be enough to see all 5 of them promoted.

I'd said something similar over on Tachiai: "All four finish 13-2, with losses only to each other, and go into an epic 4-way playoff" (I wasn't including Takakeisho)

Well, after all that has happened, I was about to predict that they would promote Takakeisho to Y right away anyway since those T-rex arms may last longer than Terunofuji's knees, even knees v.2. To fill the ozeki spot they promote Hoshoryu and Takayasu, and promised Hokutofuji if he gets kachikoshi next basho. The reasons for this are (1) to balance banzuke east-west, (2) his impeccable post-match bowing; the upper makuuchi could use some extra hinkaku, (3) his hair may not last as long as Aminishiki's by the time of retirement, and (4) he kinda looks like Hakkaku's younger brother.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, hakutorizakura said:

Well, after all that has happened, I was about to predict that they would promote Takakeisho to Y right away anyway since those T-rex arms may last longer than Terunofuji's knees, even knees v.2. To fill the ozeki spot they promote Hoshoryu and Takayasu, and promised Hokutofuji if he gets kachikoshi next basho. The reasons for this are (1) to balance banzuke east-west, (2) his impeccable post-match bowing; the upper makuuchi could use some extra hinkaku, (3) his hair may not last as long as Aminishiki's by the time of retirement, and (4) he kinda looks like Hakkaku's younger brother.

I agree with all of this, but I have to correct you on one thing: Hokutofuji looks more like late-career Marlon Brando.

19 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I agree with all of this, but I have to correct you on one thing: Hokutofuji looks more like late-career Marlon Brando.

Funny you should say that.  The first time I saw Hokutofuji, I thought he looked like a hit man!  He was scary-looking.  But then I found out that he is considered to be one of the nicest rikishi out of the whole bunch.