Kaninoyama

Ichinojo Concerns

While that report is black, the funny thing is, if he's indeed crossed so many lines, why isn't the heya raring to have the book thrown at him? Just because he's their sole sekitori? Does Ichinojō have some leverage over Minato because Minato has done something shady himself? Or - something similar to abusive relationships where the abused believes that the abuser can change for the better?

There's so much more to this story than is evident from the reports.

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

"I was not allowed to live by myself till now and that is the main reason.. If I can live alone, I won't drink," he explained back then. So last December, Minato Oyakata let him live alone, on condition he stopped drinking. Ichinojou agreed, but soon went back on his promise and started drinking again.

Yeah, right . . . Minato must have been desperately clutching at straws if he really bought that.

@Kintamayama What's the source of that detailed inside report?

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

Yeah, right . . . Minato must have been desperately clutching at straws if he really bought that.

@Kintamayama What's the source of that detailed inside report?

Nikkan, doesn’t get more mainstream than that..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

While that report is black, the funny thing is, if he's indeed crossed so many lines, why isn't the heya raring to have the book thrown at him? Just because he's their sole sekitori? Does Ichinojō have some leverage over Minato because Minato has done something shady himself? Or - something similar to abusive relationships where the abused believes that the abuser can change for the better?

Money matters were hinted at in other articles, but no mention here.

25 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Nikkan, doesn’t get more mainstream than that..

24 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

That's my point exactly - if it were as straightforward as the Nikkan report hints, that alone would be grounds for expulsion, because drinking + violence is an exceedingly bad look. We know from other reports that the NSK has been aware of it for a while now to the point that Hanakago has had time to go talk to both sides a few times. So why hasn't Ichinojō been booted, or spoken of in similar terms? It wasn't difficult for everyone to jump on the Taka twins condemnation train (which was rightfully deserved) then, but why not now?

If - and this is admittedly a big if - the money matters alluded to in the other sources are true, and there's also the question of why the heya is still seeking reconciliation despite alleged repeated violence, then the impression is that Nikkan's source was looking to do a hatchet job. That's not to say they were lying, but perhaps they were economical with the whole truth on both sides.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I agree. This report is so grimly that one would wonder how on earth the NSK didn't kick him out back in March. Minato willing to keep him in is one thing, but the other oyakata aligning with his wish is a whole different matter. Also, they have other tools aside from expulsion, if they did not really want to kick him out. Suspension is for instance very trendy quite of late. This would have given him even time to seek psychological help without having the banzuke breathing on his neck. Six months basically doing nothing is extremely weird of them.

13 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I cannot see any other explanation if this report is true, especially considering that Ichinojo lawyered up as soon as he knew the NSK was notified of his behavior. They are trying to work him around because kicking him out (or punishing him anyway) could trigger yet another scandal. Whether it concerns money or anything else, I can only speculate about.

19 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

That's my point exactly - if it were as straightforward as the Nikkan report hints, that alone would be grounds for expulsion, because drinking + violence is an exceedingly bad look. We know from other reports that the NSK has been aware of it for a while now to the point that Hanakago has had time to go talk to both sides a few times. So why hasn't Ichinojō been booted, or spoken of in similar terms? It wasn't difficult for everyone to jump on the Taka twins condemnation train (which was rightfully deserved) then, but why not now?

If - and this is admittedly a big if - the money matters alluded to in the other sources are true, and there's also the question of why the heya is still seeking reconciliation despite alleged repeated violence, then the impression is that Nikkan's source was looking to do a hatchet job. That's not to say they were lying, but perhaps they were economical with the whole truth on both sides.

Could also be that there wasn't enough confirmed information to put in the Nikkan article. Reputable news media shouldn't speculate. 

Incidentally, what's the general societal view of a drinking problem in Japan, and how, if at all, would it shape opinion of Ichinojō?

I get the impression that they are a harder-drinking culture than most people expect, but they're surprisingly blase and unsupportive about the consequences of alcoholism.

11 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

He went out with friends, causing some problems, at which point the okamisan started accompanying him to keep an eye on him. There were times he didn't drink, but when he started, he couldn't stop. When drunk, he used to hit the okamisan and squeeze her hands so tightly bruises could be seen. He threw things at her once as well. When he didn't go out, he would down a whole case of beer, and drink 1-2 bottles of whiskey at the heya. The okamisan was pushed to the floor at times, it is being said.

This apparently started in 2018 and continued for some time.

Guys, would you let your wife 'accompany' someone 4 times her weight who shoves her around, leaves her hands bruised and maybe worse. Doesn't sound likely to me.

Also, if Ichinojo was soaking that much up, I wonder how he managed to wrestle at all.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, egparis18 said:

Guys, would you let your wife 'accompany' someone 4 times her weight who shoves her around, leaves her hands bruised and maybe worse. Doesn't sound likely to me.

I was thinking the same thing. Minato should have been the one watching over Ichinojo. This whole situation is bizarre.

• Like 2

This is too anxiety inducing. No excuses for ragdolling the Kamisan. Just for that INTAI and police investigation! But, he's still there competing in basho. What's true and what isn't Kyokai??

In the end this seems like the oyakata trying to save Ichinojo from himself and Ichinojo wanting to be treated as an adult . I don't see the hullabaloo about him getting physical with the okamisan. It's wrong it happened but it's also wrong she was in that position as minder. If the oyakata had gotten a man to do it would anyone make a big deal Ichinojo pushed him or squeezed his hands? Ichinijo is top ranked and wants freedom but has a serious drinking problem,  your solution is send Mom with him everywhere? I get he's huge and hard to handle, trying to use his affection for her to appeal to his good sense but that is hard when he's drunk. 

I'm not defending ichinojo here.  It's clear he doesn't have self control and is heading for a fall. At the same time he's a grown man and wants to be treated as such which is probably why he lawyered up. 

Edited by Rocks

It's so, so difficult to quit drinking when you're addicted. It's absolutely impossible to escape, and if you've ever been addicted to alcohol can never just drink socially. Even just walking into a conbini can be enough for a full fledged relapse.

I remember my dad telling me that in his younger years as a bartender he's seen way more people get destroyed through drinking than through other drugs, even during that time in the 70s in the Netherlands when people had a very liberal attitude towards taking even hard drugs.

Seems like Ichinojo has it pretty bad and regardless of what the consequences will be for him as a wrestler, it's something that will probably hurt him for life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ichinojo today was questioned for about 30 minuted by kyokai officials about the alleged violence towards the okamisan etc. and afterwards left in silence. He, Minato-oyakata and the okamisan had been questioned before the basho by the compliance committee. https://www.47news.jp/news/8619600.html

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Ichinojo today was questioned for about 30 minuted by kyokai officials about the alleged violence towards the okamisan etc. and afterwards left in silence. He, Minato-oyakata and the okamisan had been questioned before the basho by the compliance committee. https://www.47news.jp/news/8619600.html

Man, this angers me to no end. Couldn't they wait another day till the end of the basho? (Insert expletive here.) 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Man, this angers me to no end. Couldn't they wait another day till the end of the basho? (Insert expletive here.) 

I mean, if it's not bad enough to force him to go kyujo while they figure this out, doesn't that almost certainly mean it can wait a week? Especially if it's been on the radar for the better part of a year?

• Like 2

Well, they're in Fukuoka, not in Tokyo. I'm not sure the relevant people on all sides of the issue were necessarily still planning to hang around for a post-basho chat like that.

9 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Well, they're in Fukuoka, not in Tokyo. I'm not sure the relevant people on all sides of the issue were necessarily still planning to hang around for a post-basho chat like that.

Not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere and apologies to all if it's (quasi) irrelevant, but this comment made me consider whether Senshuraku parties have returned yet for the heya. I think normally these do occur at the regional basho as a good chance for the regional supporters & groups to support (financially and otherwise) the various stables. Have to imagine if they are going ahead that the Minato beya senshuraku party would be a weird one this time out, to say the least...

20 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Everyone stays in Fukuoka after the basho as the winter jungyo starts there in a few days AFAIK.

Edited by Kintamayama

Yep, starts at Nagasaki this Saturday. But not all the oyakata go on the jungyō, do they? Maybe the ones involved in the investigation are heading back and/or they want to get a headstart on it before the banzuke meeting? 

Does anyone else find it weird that the oyakata and okamisan are off to one side? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not really, teacher/boss is often either in the middle or off to the side in pictures like this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Does anyone else find it weird that the oyakata and okamisan are off to one side? 

That's because Ichinojo gave them BOTH a BIG PUSH!!  You can tell by the sh**eating grin.

Edited by sumojoann
  • Haha 4