Sign in to follow this  
Gaijingai

Should Basho Be Taken From Kyushu?

I love the Fukuoka tournament for those very reasons. As a foreigner, it makes it feasible to walk up and get tickets. Plus the Fukuoka 'winter' weather is basically shorts and t-shirt weather back home, and the sun doesn't set at 4 pm, and....

• Like 3

Although it won't be happening, I kinda like the idea of moving notoriously hot Nagoya to November and have Sapporo in July instead.

• Like 3

They could have a “Hokkaido Classic” on an off month for an old school 7 days, bring back all the different possible draws, and recruit some random big farmers and promote them to temporary ozeki like the old days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

What they could do that I think would make sense is have Nagoya, Fukuoka and one other (presumably Sapporo) on rotation so that each got 2 basho every 3 years 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jemuzu said:

What they could do that I think would make sense is have Nagoya, Fukuoka and one other (presumably Sapporo) on rotation so that each got 2 basho every 3 years 

The issue, hinted at in the article, is that each of the basho locations has their own koenkai to help put them on, and the koenkai members receive certain benefits including free and close seats to the basho. I'm not completely sure, but I guess some members are paid up for some years in advance.

It is not easy to go against people who are plunging money into the whole show.

Edited by Tsuchinoninjin

I've always imagined that it's also hard to get heya lodgings for the regional basho.  Having all the stables suddenly needing to find lodging in Sapporo in the summer would probably be extremely difficult.

I did wonder what was going on with all the empty seats. I thought it may have been covid regulations so it was interesting to read its simply lack of demand.

While I do think they should try to give a basho to other cities in Japan, there's a lot of benefits to keeping the basho in Fukuoka. It spears awareness. It reaches local fans there and it's important for getting future recruits from Fukuoka.

lots of rikishi from lovely Kyushu,

keep it there !

Jan Tokyo

Mar Osaka

May Tokyo

July Sapporo

Sep Kyushu

Nov Nagoya