Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Guess Kiribayama's Aite - November 2022 edition

I had Kotonowaka, but changed it to Shodai when I saw that having Shodai would mean doing an OvS later. After all I learned about this shimpan group it was stupid to do, since it is readily apparent they don't think about such things.

10. Takakeisho.

What they've done makes perfect sense if they are considering the lowest ranked Komusubi to be the only actual Komusubi, and the top tier of Komusubi actually Sekiwake.  Well, except for Day 2.  That's the real hitch.  If they had just given Wakatakakage and Hoshoryu Daieisho and Tobizaru Day 2, we'd have known right away what they'd be up to. 

That they didn't do Hoshoryu vs. Kiribayama yet despite doing Mitakeumi vs. Kiribayama seems to suggest that they do have some idea of what they're doing - it's just completely different from what I'd expect with 4 Komusubi.  Delaying every O/SvK1 match they could in favor of O/SvK2 matches (as if the K1s are Sekiwake) is not something I would have ever expected.

10. Takakeisho

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

By the way, what's puzzling me is M7 Endo (2-5) vs. M16 Terutsuyoshi (0-7) and M8 Takarafuji (0-7) vs. M14 Azumaryu (3-4). Could have well been the other way round.

Takarafuji can't face Terutsuyoshi, and already faced Endo, so I don't understand what you mean here.

57 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Takarafuji can't face Terutsuyoshi, and already faced Endo, so I don't understand what you mean here.

(Wearingapaperbag...)(Oops!)

Anybody seen Seiyashi? Must have taken the wrong train...

Sakura (YOe) 8-2
Sumo Spiffy (K1w) 8-2
Reonito (Y1e) 7-3
Jakusotsu (S1e) 6-4
Profomisakari (K1e) 6-4
Jejima (M2w) 6-3-1
Gurowake (YOw) 5-5
Oshirokita (S1w) 5-5
Hakuhonofan (S2w) 5-5
shimodahito (M1w) 4-5-1
WAKATAKE (M1e) 2-1-7
Seiyashi (M2e) 1-9
The Kyokai (M3e) 1-9
Ryoshishokunin (M3w) 0-0-10

Kiribayama's aites: 1. Ura, 2. Wakatakakage, 3. Midorifuji, 4. Tobizaru, 5. Daieisho, 6. Tamawashi, 7. Mitakeumi, 8. Takayasu, 9. Kotonowaka, 10. Takakeisho

I see two equally valid theories for how this whole thing plays out, to be inevitably undercut in either instance by breaking matches so they can challenge contenders and not waste anyone else's time fighting Tamawashi.

Edit edit: Didn't sleep yet, convinced myself.

11. Shodai

Edited by Sumo Spiffy

Not just the wrong train, but also the wrong tracks - committed the sumo game equivalent of not looking where you're going and ending up in Sapporo rather than Fukuoka. 

Day 11: Shōdai

• Haha 1

I see three equally likely choices but after much flip-flopping of my sanyaku puzzle:

11. Shodai

3 hours ago, Sakura said:

11 Meisei

So someone does go for the other option... much drama!

I ended up going with Shodai because I found a third setup that seemed reasonable which also had him as the day 11 opponent, so it was 2-1, but there's a certain... cleanliness to the one that involves Meisei right now...

1 hour ago, Sumo Spiffy said:

So someone does go for the other option... much drama!

I had 5 minutes between trying to solve an emeregncy problem for my in-laws and hosting a dinner party that my spouse had arranged at short notice and that is what I came up with. If it's wrong, you'll know why. :-)

• Like 1